In which Indian State, the living is most expensive and vice versa?

Alam_dar

This Bengali Husband and Wife selling 3 Parathas, plus Aloo and Chana Masala for 20 Rs. 

It is unimaginable in today's world. For sure they are leading a very hard life for their earnings. 

Some how I became emotional after watching it.

Although they are Bengali, but I don't know which state is this. 

Edited by Alam_dar

33 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

dude. the first two seconds of the video starts with 'street foods OF Kolkata'.........

Oh thanks. I missed first few seconds. 

And then I was mislead while people were speaking Hindi in the video.

In Hindi common in Bengal and can all the Bengalis speak and understand it? 

And how come it could be so cheap in big city like Kolkata? Is over all living prices in Bengal so low? 

tier 2 cities and small towns are far more cheaper when compared to big cities ..

i was with samsung , and we had development centers  in bangalore and noida .. and many of us travel to other cities for short duration's..

from my experience ..

mumbai is the most expensive city and its , followed by bangalore ,  chennai and delhi/ncr .. then comes hyderabad and pune ..

cheapest city is kolkatta 

for a 30 usd per day ( everything included like food , electricity , gas , washing etc ..) , we get a furnished 1 BHK in downtown suwon / korea ..

if i want to have the same facility in bangalore , it will cost twice ..   

15 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

And how come it could be so cheap in big city like Kolkata? Is over all living prices in Bengal so low? 

you are still right though .. my cousin was with cts and stayed 4/5 years in kolkatta

we have a party in bangalore ( 2010/2011 time )  and we end up spending 8/9k for a booze party for 4 guys .. he said the samething in kolkatta cost less than half of it 

38 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

Hindi is common in kolkata and most people in Kolkata & Siliguri/Darjeeling can speak hindi to a decent level. 

Once you leave Kolkata and go 100km or so in any direction, hindi becomes far less understood/prevalent - until you start getting closer to Bihar/Jharkhand again.

Kolkata is cheap and not cheap - all depends on the area and where you go. As for street food goes - its generally cheap. Especially if its vegetarian food. Meat & fish are expensive, especially for fish that is out of season. 
When i was in Kolkata last year, most pani-puri stands will give you 2-3 pani puris per rupee.  On the other hand, if you want to drink tea in the Grand hotel, one cup of tea is 50 USD. 

26 minutes ago, velu said:

you are still right though .. my cousin was with cts and stayed 4/5 years in kolkatta

we have a party in bangalore ( 2010/2011 time )  and we end up spending 8/9k for a booze party for 4 guys .. he said the samething in kolkatta cost less than half of it 

Again, depends on where you go in Kolkata. Typically if drinking with a bunch of dudes is a thing, you go to Park Street region and there you will spend comparable money. If its a random hotel, then your cousin is right. I went to drink with a friend in Park Street and like most desis, i am a whisky guy- ended up buying 200 rupee shots...

26 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

Currently in Kolkata, have not come across one Bengali person who couldn't communicate in Hindi. Hindi Songs are being played on functions , in Taxis etc it's everywhere.  There are so many Bihari Labourers speaking in their Bihari accent one would think he's /shes in Bihar.

In every cosmopolitan city with people from all over India,  Hindi would ideally become the neutral language. 

We differentiate cities by expensive and cheap not states, Mumbai is by far the most expensive city in India where a decent meal and small place to live would be unafforable compared to other metros. Many Northies and Southie having more than decent standard of living  in their states would turn paupers in two weeks time in Mumbai.

24 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Again, depends on where you go in Kolkata. Typically if drinking with a bunch of dudes is a thing, you go to Park Street region and there you will spend comparable money. If its a random hotel, then your cousin is right. I went to drink with a friend in Park Street and like most desis, i am a whisky guy- ended up buying 200 rupee shots...

if we compare apple to apple type of restaurants , kolkatta is cheaper ..

again same goes with house rentals as well ..

still luxury is quite expensive in india

17 minutes ago, velu said:

if we compare apple to apple type of restaurants , kolkatta is cheaper ..

again same goes with house rentals as well ..

still luxury is quite expensive in india

It is until you go to any Victorian/British era services in Kolkata. Grand hotel is way,way more expensive than the Taj or any hotel in Mumbai...why ? because Queen Victoria stayed in it once and those chaps still think its 1895. 

55 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

It is until you go to any Victorian/British era services in Kolkata. Grand hotel is way,way more expensive than the Taj or any hotel in Mumbai...why ? because Queen Victoria stayed in it once and those chaps still think its 1895. 

similar place exist in every city as well .. i have no positive emotions with mumbai , but its the costliest city in india ..

to make my claims clear , YOUR kolkatta is the cheapest metro in india :phehe: 

2 minutes ago, velu said:

similar place exist in every city as well .. i have no positive emotions with mumbai , but its the costliest city in india ..

to make my claims clear , YOUR kolkatta is the cheapest metro in india :phehe: 

I remember Raj Babbar getting into trouble for saying this when he was a minister that in Mumbai you can get a full meal for 10 bucks.

He is not way too off. Mumbai food is cheap. Obviously depending on your need. I mean the most expensive menu might be in Mumbai too.

Yes rent/accommodation/ real estate is a problem just like any commercial capital. Be it London or NY. 

5 hours ago, velu said:

tier 2 cities and small towns are far more cheaper when compared to big cities ..

i was with samsung , and we had development centers  in bangalore and noida .. and many of us travel to other cities for short duration's..

from my experience ..

mumbai is the most expensive city and its , followed by bangalore ,  chennai and delhi/ncr .. then comes hyderabad and pune ..

cheapest city is kolkatta 

for a 30 usd per day ( everything included like food , electricity , gas , washing etc ..) , we get a furnished 1 BHK in downtown suwon / korea ..

if i want to have the same facility in bangalore , it will cost twice ..   

Delhi is more expensive than Bangalore 

3 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

I remember Raj Babbar getting into trouble for saying this when he was a minister that in Mumbai you can get a full meal for 10 bucks.

He is not way too off. Mumbai food is cheap. Obviously depending on your need. I mean the most expensive menu might be in Mumbai too.

Yes rent/accommodation/ real estate is a problem just like any commercial capital. Be it London or NY. 

its not cheap .  Even something like Vada pav costs 20 bucks . A thali on an average is 150 rs in small restaurants comparable to darshinis in Bangalore where its for half that price .