Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
velu

Food thread !!!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, beetle said:

Learn to cook basic stuff.

It is very easy.

Try U tube.

I cook everyday, but balancing chores and studies is a bit challenging. Cooking Indian food is literally a full time job, need to be careful with everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MechEng said:

I cook everyday, but balancing chores and studies is a bit challenging. Cooking Indian food is literally a full time job, need to be careful with everything.

Try mtr or gits to just add boiling water and mix, better than eating out everyday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Try mtr or gits to just add boiling water and mix, better than eating out everyday.

Thanks. I did live on those ready to eat foods during my initial days here just after landing, but soon switched to cooking. Can't eat ready to eat stuff on daily basis, it's bad for health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MechEng said:

Thanks. I did live on those ready to eat foods during my initial days here just after landing, but soon switched to cooking. Can't eat ready to eat stuff on daily basis, it's bad for health.

Try and adapt to the various options & cuisines you get there, irrespective of your dietary preferences. Even the takeaway type places like Chipotle & Panera have something decent for veggies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Clarke said:

Try and adapt to the various options & cuisines you get there, irrespective of your dietary preferences. Even the takeaway type places like Chipotle & Panera have something decent for veggies. 

Oh yes!! Chipotle is amazing, I go there every alternate weekend for veggie tacos, three of them come for inside $7.50. Not the healthiest meal, but way more healthier than Wendy's etc. Haven't tried Panera bread yet.

 

Most common American fast foods are beef and bacon, even chicken sandwiches have a ham slice in them. There are some old school Italian restaurants near my place where there are vegetarian options, but then again it comes with too much cheese. In that way Chipotle stands out, you can make your tacos without any cheese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MechEng said:

Oh yes!! Chipotle is amazing, I go there every alternate weekend for veggie tacos, three of them come for inside $7.50. Not the healthiest meal, but way more healthier than Wendy's etc. Haven't tried Panera bread yet.

 

Most common American fast foods are beef and bacon, even chicken sandwiches have a ham slice in them. There are some old school Italian restaurants near my place where there are vegetarian options, but then again it comes with too much cheese. In that way Chipotle stands out, you can make your tacos without any cheese.

The normal pasta with Marinara sauce shouldn't be cheesy, it will have the tomato-ey taste which I personally prefer over alfredo. Additionally, I also had Thai food with steamed tofu & brown rice weekly. Then there's middle eastern food with hummus & good quality salads. The garlic spread which has egg white, if well made is something to die for. 

 

If u can make a bit of compromise here & there, most cities (not towns) in US are pretty good for veggies, transportation being the only concern for some students.

Edited by Clarke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Clarke said:

The normal pasta with Marinara sauce shouldn't be cheesy, it will have the tomato-ey taste which I personally prefer over alfredo. Additionally, I also had Thai food with steamed tofu & brown rice weekly. Then there's middle eastern food with hummus & good quality salads. The garlic spread which has egg white, if well made is something to die for. 

 

If u can make a bit of compromise here & there, most cities (not towns) in US are pretty good for veggies, transportation being the only concern for some students.

I did not mention that it was not authentic Italian restaurants I was talking about but those old school non mainstream Americanized Italian food places - a cheeseaholic heaven. 

 

And yes public transportation is a big issue unless you're living in the east coast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Found one Uttar Kannada hotel serving raagi balls ( 300/350m from my apt ) ..

 

Raagi balls are  softer with no added boiled rice like how we use to prepare in our home ..

Definitely better than ours but no groundnut chutney to go with this :((  

 

 

 

XSnzm7e_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, velu said:

 

Found one Uttar Kannada hotel serving raagi balls ( 300/350m from my apt ) ..

 

Raagi balls are  softer with no added boiled rice like how we use to prepare in our home ..

Definitely better than ours but no groundnut chutney to go with this :((  

 

 

 

XSnzm7e_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

 

Absolute best stuff.  Try it with hidikida avarekaaLu saaru (https://www.smithakalluraya.com/hitikida-avarekalu-saaru-field-beans-gravy-surti-lilva-curry-recipe/).  

 

For Gujjus and Northies (wait, aren't Gujjus Northies too?), hidikida avarekaaLu = surti papdi lilva.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2018 at 7:51 AM, MechEng said:

Oh yes!! Chipotle is amazing, I go there every alternate weekend for veggie tacos, three of them come for inside $7.50. Not the healthiest meal, but way more healthier than Wendy's etc. Haven't tried Panera bread yet.

 

 

Not really.  Check out the nutrition comparisons below.  Chipotle are masters at deceptive-marketing and have created an undeserved health halo around themselves.  And remember, you can't spell ChIpOtLE without E. coli.

 

Chipotle 3 hard tacos (less cals than soft tacos) with carnitas (beef to beef comparison), cilantro-lime brown rice, fajita veggies, and guac.  No cheese, no chips.

830 cals, 44g fat (12.5g saturated), 34g protein,1240 mg sodium , 78g carb, 12g fiber, 69% Vit C.

 

Wendy's barbeque burger

630 cals, 34g fat (13g saturated), 30g protein,1360mg sodium, 53g carb, 3g fiber, 4% Vit C.

 

Other than Vit C and fiber, there is nothing significantly better about Chipotle's tacos.  Total cals are significantly more, total fat is significantly more, total carbs are significantly more, and protein & sodium are about the same.  Overall, it's a wash.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ExtremeBrainfade said:

Absolute best stuff.  Try it with hidikida avarekaaLu saaru (https://www.smithakalluraya.com/hitikida-avarekalu-saaru-field-beans-gravy-surti-lilva-curry-recipe/).  

 

For Gujjus and Northies (wait, aren't Gujjus Northies too?), hidikida avarekaaLu = surti papdi lilva.  

 

kannadiga thing i guess.. 

we use to take avarakkai in our home but mostly as fried beans with rice .. as far as i know we never prepared avarakkai sambar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ExtremeBrainfade said:

Not really.  Check out the nutrition comparisons below.  Chipotle are masters at deceptive-marketing and have created an undeserved health halo around themselves.  And remember, you can't spell ChIpOtLE without E. coli.

 

Chipotle 3 hard tacos (less cals than soft tacos) with carnitas (beef to beef comparison), cilantro-lime brown rice, fajita veggies, and guac.  No cheese, no chips.

830 cals, 44g fat (12.5g saturated), 34g protein,1240 mg sodium , 78g carb, 12g fiber, 69% Vit C.

 

Wendy's barbeque burger

630 cals, 34g fat (13g saturated), 30g protein,1360mg sodium, 53g carb, 3g fiber, 4% Vit C.

 

Other than Vit C and fiber, there is nothing significantly better about Chipotle's tacos.  Total cals are significantly more, total fat is significantly more, total carbs are significantly more, and protein & sodium are about the same.  Overall, it's a wash.  

I don't eat out at Chipotle now. The guacomole they served was smelly and did not taste fresh the last time I got a takeaway from there, I had to dispose the entire thing and did not want to risk food poisoning.

 

These days I either cook at home or walk to the closest Lebanese restaurant for a falafel meal.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...