Food thread !!!

velu

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Try mtr or gits to just add boiling water and mix, better than eating out everyday.

Thanks. I did live on those ready to eat foods during my initial days here just after landing, but soon switched to cooking. Can't eat ready to eat stuff on daily basis, it's bad for health.

7 hours ago, MechEng said:

Thanks. I did live on those ready to eat foods during my initial days here just after landing, but soon switched to cooking. Can't eat ready to eat stuff on daily basis, it's bad for health.

Try and adapt to the various options & cuisines you get there, irrespective of your dietary preferences. Even the takeaway type places like Chipotle & Panera have something decent for veggies. 

4 hours ago, Clarke said:

Try and adapt to the various options & cuisines you get there, irrespective of your dietary preferences. Even the takeaway type places like Chipotle & Panera have something decent for veggies. 

Oh yes!! Chipotle is amazing, I go there every alternate weekend for veggie tacos, three of them come for inside $7.50. Not the healthiest meal, but way more healthier than Wendy's etc. Haven't tried Panera bread yet.

Most common American fast foods are beef and bacon, even chicken sandwiches have a ham slice in them. There are some old school Italian restaurants near my place where there are vegetarian options, but then again it comes with too much cheese. In that way Chipotle stands out, you can make your tacos without any cheese.

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

Oh yes!! Chipotle is amazing, I go there every alternate weekend for veggie tacos, three of them come for inside $7.50. Not the healthiest meal, but way more healthier than Wendy's etc. Haven't tried Panera bread yet.

Most common American fast foods are beef and bacon, even chicken sandwiches have a ham slice in them. There are some old school Italian restaurants near my place where there are vegetarian options, but then again it comes with too much cheese. In that way Chipotle stands out, you can make your tacos without any cheese.

The normal pasta with Marinara sauce shouldn't be cheesy, it will have the tomato-ey taste which I personally prefer over alfredo. Additionally, I also had Thai food with steamed tofu & brown rice weekly. Then there's middle eastern food with hummus & good quality salads. The garlic spread which has egg white, if well made is something to die for. 

If u can make a bit of compromise here & there, most cities (not towns) in US are pretty good for veggies, transportation being the only concern for some students.

Edited by Clarke

51 minutes ago, Clarke said:

The normal pasta with Marinara sauce shouldn't be cheesy, it will have the tomato-ey taste which I personally prefer over alfredo. Additionally, I also had Thai food with steamed tofu & brown rice weekly. Then there's middle eastern food with hummus & good quality salads. The garlic spread which has egg white, if well made is something to die for. 

If u can make a bit of compromise here & there, most cities (not towns) in US are pretty good for veggies, transportation being the only concern for some students.

I did not mention that it was not authentic Italian restaurants I was talking about but those old school non mainstream Americanized Italian food places - a cheeseaholic heaven. 

And yes public transportation is a big issue unless you're living in the east coast.