Girish Karnad writer/actor dies at 81

coffee_rules

https://www.deccanherald.com/national/karnad-portrait-of-the-artist-as-a-blunt-man-739277.html

He was famous for being an award wapsi champion, and was a modi-hater and a liberal secular hero arranging beef parties in town hall, Bangalore . Om Shanti. U R Ananthmurthy another such char writer had passed away in 2014 after NDA2.victory. 

A Gnanapeeth awardee had written dramas like Tughlaq, praising his regime, later called it a satire. He was a Tipu bhakt.

Edited by coffee_rules

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

https://www.deccanherald.com/national/karnad-portrait-of-the-artist-as-a-blunt-man-739277.html

He was famous for being an award wapsi champion, and was a modi-hater and a liberal secular hero arranging beef parties in town hall, Bangalore . Om Shanti. U R Ananthmurthy another such char writer had passed away in 2014 after NDA2.victory. 

A Gnanapeeth awardee had written dramas like Tughlaq, praising his regime, later called it a satire. He was a Tipu bhakt.

RIP... Not sure of his current proclivity, but I feel his play Hayavadana embodies his conflict with duality.  

His greatest contribution to the world of cinema is Shankarnag whom he introduced.I also liked his film AnandaBhairavi

2 hours ago, diga said:

RIP... Not sure of his current proclivity, but I feel his play Hayavadana embodies his conflict with duality.  

His greatest contribution to the world of cinema is Shankarnag whom he introduced.I also liked his film AnandaBhairavi

No doubt about his multi-faceted versatile talent as a director, playwriter and actor. He had directed off-beat (parallel) cinema, famous for directing 2 movies of SLBhyrappas novel - Vamshavrukha and Tabbali Neenade magane (Naseeruddin Shah acted as a Brahmin - amazing). I think he became a bandwagnor since he was awarded the gnanapeetha award and he had to be loyal to the coterie of progressive writers. after people gave him an intellectual tag, his gnanapeetha awardee friends who were also against-RW, so much so he said he regretted directing the 2 movies of SLB after SLB wrote Aavarana (the veil). He turned hostile similar to URA and started hating anything related to BJP/RW. He became like petty activists like Gauri Lankesh,  Prakash Raj etc. Sad to end his legacy like this. Ondanondu kaaldalli is still my fav movie (have it on DVD as well). 

I know he is rated highly as a theatre personality and gets a lot of hype  but only performance I have seen of his is as heroines dad in Premikudu (Kaadhalan/Humse Hai Mukaabla) . That was just a run of the mill stereotypical  performance.

Anyways won’t get into his political ideology.

RIP 

He is like best friends with nehru lover Ramachandra Guha.

Anyway coming to the roles he always played, most of the time I saw him as a benevolent patriarch or a snobbish elite. His role as kajol's father in minsara kanavu being case in point. I think I will remember him like that.

R.i.p