Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sooda

A Team Selection Inconsistencies

ID: 1   Posted (edited)

 

-Mukund is captain vs Bangladesh, not even in the next squad (Pandya is in A team and test squad, Mukund could have been) Althought both Panchal and Herwadkar deserve to be there, Pandya is a bit of a random captain choice.

 

-Pandey captained India A in Aus, and did well.. he makes a test squad but not an A team. Is he injured?

 

-Shardul Thakur makes test squads but not the A team to face Aus.

 

-Aniket Chaudhry takes a 4-fer in his last match but does nto get picked for the next one -  hes playing  T20's should be in this match instead of Dinda.

 

Milind and Siraj get one tour match to show what they can do which is a bit unfair and for the next 32 year old Dinda features

 

 

Tbf its a good A team, especially the batting selections are good. But there are some players who will be wondering why theyre not featuring. The selectors need to identify a core group of fringe players and stick with them for a reasonable length of time for A and BP XI's as long as their fit and in form

 

 

Edited by Sooda

Share this post


Link to post

Selectors have been worse for A team n it's like a merry go round , please everyone then finding n developing certain future India players which it should be ideally

Share this post


Link to post

Don't know what the use was to pick Dinda at this age. He is a good hard working bowler and I respect that but he is not going to be picked for Indian test team.

 India A squads are usually for prospects and hence Thakur or like you mentioned other bowlers should have been tried. Even Siraj could have been given another go since he was recently oicked during the Irani trophy.

 

If selectors see Siraj as Irani trophy prospect, then he could be even tried here, which could help him pretty well as he would have gotten to bowl to Warner and co. 

2 minutes ago, Sooda said:

 

Tbf its a good A team, especially the batting selections are good. But there are some players who will be wondering why theyre not featuring.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

ID: 4   Posted (edited)

Fantastic strategy by selectors.Do not want to see same set of players again and again in the A teams.If you are good enough(Rishabh Pant) you will keep on getting selected. Also current form is the criterion not past A tours.

Edited by Pollack

Share this post


Link to post

There is a large pool of claimants and selectors have clearly adopted the strategy of providing chances to as many players as possible. Nothing inconsistent here.

Share this post


Link to post

ID: 6   Posted (edited)

Selectors need to identify pacers who have realistic chances of playing for India in the near future ( keeping in mind the format ) ..... and play only those pacers in A teams.

 

Test prospects for 2 to 5 day  A-team games

 

LOI prospects for one day A-team games.

 

We have seen Aniket C,  Saini, Pandya, (  Good picks )  and  Chama, Dinda and Siraj  ( Bad picks )  in the 2 and 3 day A-team games.  Shardul, Aaron, Warrier, Rajpoot  have missed out.

 

We have seen  Sangwan ( good pick )   Nehra, Mohit, Kaul   ( " maybe " picks )    and   Vinay, Dinda,  ( bad picks )   for the one day A-team games.    Nathu, Rajpoot, Warrier have missed out.

 

Why not go for only the pacers who are next in line  ?   Why pick pacers who have no chance of representing India in the near future  ?  

 

A-team games are for player development.

Edited by express bowling

Share this post


Link to post

Its not the worst thing to spread opportunity to a wider pool of players.  But a select few should be identified and groomed.  We are not seeing a balance of this.  

 

India 'A' failed in its primary job of hurting the Convicts' confidence.  In previous aus visits, we have nearly always done a good job attacking both their batsmen and bowlers.  I did like the fact that part from Shahbaz Nadeem, who was arguably the top spinner in Ranji, we didn't really give them too much top shelf spin practice.  Let them bat against the likes of Shreyas Iyer and Priyank Panchal.:p:

 

I knew Marsh was going to a be thorn this tour, and looks like the aussies have realized his importance early already.   They may not succeed, but the aussies' preparation, planning, and mindset looks to be quite thorough for this tour.  I think we are going to need some decent turners for this series - Flat ones a la Rajkot, Chennai or Hyderabad are not going to set up the game for Indian dominance.  

Share this post


Link to post

Last 2 seasons has brought many young, talented players in the forefront. First there was a fear  that who will replace Dhoni ,but now there are many young wk batsman.

 

There are right arm fast bowlers,left arm fast bowlers,swing bowlers,bowlers who can bowl yorkers ,off spinners,leg spinners,left arm slow,chinaman,pace bowling allrounders,spin bowling allrounders,openers,middle order batsman.

 

The selector now have a huge responsibility to select such players who can be successful in.international cricket.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, tweaker said:

Last 2 seasons has brought many young, talented players in the forefront. First there was a fear  that who will replace Dhoni ,but now there are many young wk batsman.

 

There are right arm fast bowlers,left arm fast bowlers,swing bowlers,bowlers who can bowl yorkers ,off spinners,leg spinners,left arm slow,chinaman,pace bowling allrounders,spin bowling allrounders,openers,middle order batsman.

 

The selector now have a huge responsibility to select such players who can be successful in.international cricket.

Selectors are giving opportunities too....yeah if we overlook the odd Dinda,Vinay etc a lot of names have come to the forefront in A games etc.

 

Now it is the next level we have to watch out for,how will Kohli/Kumble manage  these talents...how will seniors like Dhoni,Yuvraj,Nehra etc etc groom them/mentor them...Dhoni needs to mentor Pant/Kishen that should be his role going forward...How will star players like Rohit/Kohli/Rahane mentor new batsman,Ashwin mentor new spinners,Ishant/Shami mentor new fast bowlers-this is very important too.

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, maniac said:

Selectors are giving opportunities too....yeah if we overlook the odd Dinda,Vinay etc a lot of names have come to the forefront in A games etc.

 

Selectors doing good job regarding batsmen, spinners, all-rounders and wicket-keepers.

 

Need to step up regarding pacers.

Share this post


Link to post

ID: 13   Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Pollack said:

Fantastic strategy by selectors.Do not want to see same set of players again and again in the A teams.If you are good enough(Rishabh Pant) you will keep on getting selected. Also current form is the criterion not past A tours.

selection of 32 year old medium pacer is a fantastic strategy? Ok then.

 

8 hours ago, sarchasm said:

There is a large pool of claimants and selectors have clearly adopted the strategy of providing chances to as many players as possible. Nothing inconsistent here.

I dont know if the pool is as large as all that or if it is just that people who are not good enough are being selected, while those who are, are getting ignored.

 

Rahul Singh gets in based on one season for griding out runs vs the likes of Chattisgarh and Andhra whilst Manish and Jaggi who have been consistent for a longer period of time, -Manish has an international century- do not. Jaggi got one innings vs Bang, is that enough for the selectros to judge he isnt good enough? As an aside He has been in the runs in the SMA T20's if that is anything to go by

 

The A team needs to be taken more seriously, the players in it must be guys who are viewed as almost ready for test cricket. The 'trying out of a wide pool of players' can be down in Zonal FC matches. 

 

As long as past A team members have performed well, are still fit and in form- as I said - they should be in the A team. They also need to be given a resonable length of time to show what they can do, not one match. The idea is that they are the next in line if, say,  a senior players is injured and more experience is how they will improve and develop and eventually be ready for test cricket - that is the aim. The guys names I mentioned should have been there based on form and quality.

 

The selections are random and it shows the selectors are not doing much long term planning

Edited by Sooda

Share this post


Link to post

ID: 14   Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, sandeep said:

Its not the worst thing to spread opportunity to a wider pool of players.  But a select few should be identified and groomed.  We are not seeing a balance of this.  

 

India 'A' failed in its primary job of hurting the Convicts' confidence.  In previous aus visits, we have nearly always done a good job attacking both their batsmen and bowlers.  I did like the fact that part from Shahbaz Nadeem, who was arguably the top spinner in Ranji, we didn't really give them too much top shelf spin practice.  Let them bat against the likes of Shreyas Iyer and Priyank Panchal.:p:

 

I knew Marsh was going to a be thorn this tour, and looks like the aussies have realized his importance early already.   They may not succeed, but the aussies' preparation, planning, and mindset looks to be quite thorough for this tour.  I think we are going to need some decent turners for this series - Flat ones a la Rajkot, Chennai or Hyderabad are not going to set up the game for Indian dominance.  

Well the real test of confidence hurting will be when India A bat, inshaAllah Lyon and O Keefe will be decimated :D

 

As I said above, 

 

The A team needs to be taken more seriously, the players in it must be guys who are viewed as almost ready for test cricket. The 'trying out of a wide pool of players' can be down in Zonal FC matches. 

 

As long as past A team members have performed well, are still fit and in form- as I said - they should be in the A team. They also need to be given a resonable length of time to show what they can do, not one match. The idea is that they are the next in line if, say,  a senior players is injured and more experience is how they will improve and develop and eventually be ready for test cricket - that is the aim. The guys names I mentioned should have been there based on form and quality.

 

The selections are random and it shows the selectors are not doing much long term planning

Edited by Sooda

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0