BCCI-PCB talks hit by anti-Pakistan protest

Shaharyar Khan and Najam Sethi were asked to not leave their hotels after Shiv Sena workers stormed the BCCI office © AFP

PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan's scheduled meeting with BCCI president Shashank Manohar had to be deferred following protests at the BCCI office in Mumbai by the Shiv Sena, a regional political party.

It is unclear whether Shaharyar will now meet Manohar in person. He is expected to meet BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur and IPL chairman Rajeev Shukla in Delhi on Tuesday.

Soon after Manohar reached the BCCI office on Monday morning, more than 50 workers of Shiv Sena, which has opposed any ties with Pakistan, barged into the building. They shouted anti-Pakistan slogans and stormed Manohar's office, asking the BCCI chief to cancel the series.

Shaharyar, along with PCB chief executive Najam Sethi, were asked not to leave their south Mumbai hotel, which is a five-minute drive from the BCCI headquarters. They were supposed to discuss the possibility of India's scheduled series against Pakistan in December.

The political party has also threatened to stop Aleem Dar from officiating in the fifth and final ODI between India and South Africa to be played in Mumbai on Sunday.

The Shiv Sena has a history of anti-Pakistan protests. In 1999, it dug up the pitch at Feroz Shah Kotla in Delhi before the start of the series, and in 2006 it threatened to disrupt Pakistan's Champions Trophy matches in Jaipur and Mohali.

In April this year, Pakistani pop singer Atif Aslam's concert in Pune had to be called off in the wake of such protests, and Ghulam Ali's concert, scheduled to be held in Mumbai on October 9, was also cancelled after party workers threatened to disrupt it.

Last week, columnist and writer Sudheendra Kulkarni was smeared with black ink by activists after they opposed former Pakistan foreign minister Khurshid Mahmud Kasuri's book launch in Mumbai.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/930447.html

I honestly don't care about a series with Pakistan, its better not to play any Cricket than support the country sponsoring terrorism. But what worries me is the fact that a lot of RSS/Bajrang Dal/Shiv Sena news has been filling my feeds for the last few days. These idiots need to be shown their place because at the moment, they feel like they own this country. 

^ a poster from digital indiia...

The protest is against playing a terrorist nation and most Indians agree with that. The methods adopted however aren't right, and we acknowledge that, as you can see from responses in this thread.

As for your dig at "shining India", isn't that too harsh? Chill brother, its just a protest. I know the dull nature of protest may annoy you (since you are used to more explosive ones), but I guess that's all we can do.