Wolf in sheep's clothing: Javagal Srinath

12 hours ago, kira said:

I don't know how many of you have watched India in the late 90s, Srinath was god sent gift for Indians after suffering from torture by mohanty, harvinder singh,kurruvila etc.  Srinath was no medium pacer, he was a full blooded fast bowler who could seriously injure you with pace. I remember a game vs sri lanka in the late 90s, a ball from srinath broke the grill of the helmet and smashed the batsman right on his face. The batsman was completely messed up and bleeding profusely. The ability to terrorize a batsman with pace is a quality which even the modern Indian pacers lack. (Although the current crop of Indian pacers have given me great hope. Shami umesh especially)

If srinath played in a better era where more care was given to his fitness, with all the support staff that we have today, then he would have been one of the top most bowlers in the world, even during 90s he managed to achieve a great deal for Indian cricket. Zaheer apart from a couple of good years is nowhere near Srinath.

Yes.....Srinath  effectively ended the international careers of 2 international cricketers with vicious bouncers. One was the incident you mentioned, Lanka Silva of  Sri Lanka. The ball hit his face although he was wearing a visor. 

The other incident was Meyrick Pringle of South Africa who sustained a similar injury.  Srinath was a very physically threatening fast bowler who kept on hitting the batsmen on the body.

18 hours ago, kira said:

I don't know how many of you have watched India in the late 90s, Srinath was god sent gift for Indians after suffering from torture by mohanty, harvinder singh,kurruvila etc.  Srinath was no medium pacer, he was a full blooded fast bowler who could seriously injure you with pace. I remember a game vs sri lanka in the late 90s, a ball from srinath broke the grill of the helmet and smashed the batsman right on his face. The batsman was completely messed up and bleeding profusely. The ability to terrorize a batsman with pace is a quality which even the modern Indian pacers lack. (Although the current crop of Indian pacers have given me great hope. Shami umesh especially)

If srinath played in a better era where more care was given to his fitness, with all the support staff that we have today, then he would have been one of the top most bowlers in the world, even during 90s he managed to achieve a great deal for Indian cricket. Zaheer apart from a couple of good years is nowhere near Srinath.

You are talking about Lanka de silva. During that time, Srinath used to bowl frighteningly quick. He ruined Lanka De Silva's career and I think Lanka never came back to cricket after the injury.

Very good servant of Indian cricket but he wasnt that pacy tbh .

A 40 year old akram playing his last tournament was a couple of miles quicker than sree.

I remember watching him bowl and now seeing all these videos of him from australia and sharjah and these ones from the 2003 worldcup i remembered our discussion about the 2003 worldcup  in the other thread.

@speedheat

Edited by the don
6 hours ago, the don said:

Very good servant of Indian cricket but he wasnt that pacy tbh .

A 40 year old akram playing his last tournament was a couple of miles quicker than sree.

I remember watching him bowl and now seeing all these videos of him from australia and sharjah and these ones from the 2003 worldcup i remembered our discussion about the 2003 worldcup  in the other thread.

@speedheat

See even in this video of wasim he was  around 133/138/135kph mark, srinath on the other hand bowled a fastest of 144kph in that WC and  he was also the second fastest of 1999wc only below shoaib, these clearly shows he outshined both ws for pace, I can only lough at your couple of miles ahead comment, I agree we don't have answer to shoaib akhtar but we certainly have it for others, even in our  worst era of pace bowling we do had someone like agarkar who could be sharp.

Edited by speedheat
43 minutes ago, speedheat said:

See even in this video of wasim he was  around 133/138/135kph mark, srinath on the other hand bowled a fastest of 144kph in that WC and  he was also the second fastest of 1999wc only below shoaib, these clearly shows he outshined both ws for pace, I can only lough at your couple of miles ahead comment, I agree we don't have answer to shoaib akhtar but we certainly have it for others, even in our  worst era of pace bowling we do had someone like agarkar who could be sharp.

135 ??he is clearly bowling over 85 mph on average.

Srinath was slower than the pakistani bowlers in almost every video  from India pak games or otherwise that i have seen or posted 

Slower than the old Ws who were way past their peak. Slower than razzaq . Remember watching him bowl in Sharjah and the tri series in Australia quite clearly.

Agarkar ?? Lol dude . He is at least 15 kilometres slower .

Edited by the don