Is MSD a liability in the IPL?

G_B_

8 minutes ago, velu said:

but atleast he didnt nead other players  to save the teams ass when the bhagwan was going for certain milestone 

Bhagwan when in form did lot more than Dhoni ever did in his whole career. Don't compare Dhoni to Sachin, it is a ridiculous comparison. 

Sachin ( he was obsessed with his milestones I agree with that part) is one of the greatest players who ever lived and Dhoni was a overachiever who is very good in ODIs and average in tests and below average in T20s.

9 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Scoring below 20 runs and  that too with very average strike rate is not playing any important role. He lost many T20s just due to his inability to hit boundaries.

Match against WI in USA is one example and matches against NZ are others.

He has played most number of T20s if I am wrong for India and he is one guy who has the least match winning innings to his name. All the players who played as many games as he has have excelled in at least few games.

Dhoni is still an excellent ODI player because he can run like gazelle and maintain SR around 100. In T20s you need SR over 200 for a batting spot Dhoni bats so to give his SR and compare it to top order batsman is ridiculous. 

He will get exposed this year in IPL now that he cannot hide behind captaincy.

I remember watching Asia Cup and World T20 and here's what I saw...

Openers (Rohit & Dhawan): Failed every match except for one knock by Rohit against B'desh in Asia Cup (opening match I believe)

Kohli: Best bat and carried us through both the tourneys

Yuvraj: Embarrasing to watch and couldn't do anything

Dhoni: Supported Kohli nearly every game and was the 2nd best batsman

Rahane: Played one match and cost us the WT20 semi-final

Others: Don't recall any other batsman doing much of note

I'm not saying Dhoni should be in the T20 team. If I would have had my way I wouldn't have played Yuvraj and Rahane for the last few years and fast tracked Pant to take over Dhoni's spot as the wkt keeper, and I would still do the same in T20s. i was simply stating that your statement "Dhoni never was second best batsman in team at any point in his career in T20s" was false as whoever watched last years' Asia Cup and WR20 - essentially the only time T20s actually count for anything at intl level - could see that Dhoni was the next best after Kohli. If you want to revise history and claim some other batsman was the next best after Kohli in those two tourneys, so be it.

Edited by Ultimate_Game

On 4/9/2017 at 4:36 AM, BeautifulGame said:

Actually Mama will have the last laugh as usual when his team is scrapped :bandit:

Won't MSD go on sale for every team to buy during bidding? How can he be so sure to have MSD again? 

I know they will have lot of money to buy him as they will have full purse but then so would Rajasthan, who are coming back. 

Won't MSD go on sale for every team to buy during bidding? How can he be so sure to have MSD again? 

I know they will have lot of money to buy him as they will have full purse but then so would Rajasthan, who are coming back. 

Also every team will have full purse because all the players are going into auction next season.

But Teams will always be allowed to retain a couple of players as marque as usual.

2 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Teams will always be allowed to retain a couple of players .

Ya but Dhoni can be retained? He was bought by Pune, so he can be only "regained" through bidding if I am right and can not be "retained" as CSK at this time have Nill players. 

20 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Bhagwan when in form did lot more than Dhoni ever did in his whole career. Don't compare Dhoni to Sachin, it is a ridiculous comparison. 

Sachin ( he was obsessed with his milestones I agree with that part) is one of the greatest players who ever lived and Dhoni was a overachiever who is very good in ODIs and average in tests and below average in T20s.

in ODIs dhoni did more than what bhagwan did ..

in tests dont think sachin did any series winnign perofrmance :giggle:

16 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

I remember watching Asia Cup and World T20 and here's what I saw...

Openers (Rohit & Dhawan): Failed every match except for one knock by Rohit against B'desh in Asia Cup (opening match I believe)

Kohli: Best bat and carried us through both the tourneys

Yuvraj: Embarrasing to watch and couldn't do anything

Dhoni: Supported Kohli nearly every game and was the 2nd best batsman

Rahane: Played one match and cost us the WT20 semi-final

Others: Don't recall any other batsman doing much of note

I'm not saying Dhoni should be in the T20 team. If I would have had my way I wouldn't have played Yuvraj and Rahane for the last few years and fast tracked Pant to take over Dhoni's spot as the wkt keeper, and I would still do the same in T20s. i was simply stating that your statement "Dhoni never was second best batsman in team at any point in his career in T20s" was false as whoever watched last years' Asia Cup and WR20 - essentially the only time T20s actually count for anything at intl level - could see that Dhoni was the next best after Kohli. If you want to revise history and claim some other batsman was the next best after Kohli in those two tourneys, so be it.

If you think by scoring those below 20s runs makes Dhoni  at the end (when everything has been set up )second best batsman in the team well then our definition of batsman totally are very different.

The T20 world cup is what matters  in t20s and Dhoni to my knowledge has one good knock in all the world cups he has played that was again a supporting role of 47 against Australia in 2007 T20 world cup. After that I have not seen him do anything except become a hindrance for the team by stopping another youngster who deserved spot more than him.

4 minutes ago, velu said:

in ODIs dhoni did more than what bhagwan did ..

in tests dont think sachin did any series winnign perofrmance :giggle:

What did Dhoni do more than Sachin in odis? Yes Sachin did not have any series winning performances but to compare him with Dhoni is blasphemous.

Sachin and Dhoni are in totally different leagues as players. 

6 minutes ago, putrevus said:

If you think by scoring those below 20s runs makes Dhoni  at the end (when everything has been set up )second best batsman in the team well then our definition of batsman totally are very different.

The T20 world cup is what matters  in t20s and Dhoni to my knowledge has one good knock in all the world cups he has played that was again a supporting role of 47 against Australia in 2007 T20 world cup. After that I have not seen him do anything except become a hindrance for the team by stopping another youngster who deserved spot more than him.

When every other batsman failed to score those 20 odd runs then the guy who does get them becomes the 2nd best. In those tourneys none of Rohit, Dhawan, Rahane, Pandey or any other batsman showed they were capable of getting those 20 runs. It was all Kohli and then Dhoni's 20 runs.

And the definition is pretty self-explanatory I guess. 2nd best batsman is the batsman who performs next to the best batsman. You tell me in last year's Asia Cup and WT20 tourneys who else was the 2nd best batsman after Kohli? Wasn't Rohit, wasn't Dhawan, wasn't yuvraj, wasn't rahane and others. At least Dhoni was able to get those 20 odd else we wouldn't have reached semi final inspite of having Kohli in the team.

Edited by Ultimate_Game