Basil Thampi

PBN

19 minutes ago, maniac said:

Odi rules have changed now...it's almost like a pp+mini pp for 40 overs now with flat pitches and big bats so that rules out someone who can bowl at 125-130ks

even philander doesn't play odi cricket...likes of grandhomme or maybe in the future someone like tye etc will make it as allrounders.

so are you advocating Sandeep only for t20is? 

Clear at this and we will take it forward 

I would like to see Sandeep play both odis and T20Is. Sandeep has shown he's pretty good in PP so that should actually work in his favor :agree: 

5 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

the same reason our team mngmt didnt call him, lacks what is required in modern day cricket.

If selection starts to happen with only stats anyone can become a selector by going on cricinfo n checking stats....

U have to spot the right talent.......right talent is the one u feel will succeed at international level.

Never said sandeep is lucky........always rated him most highly among trundlers. I was impressed with him but i feel the game has evolved and only swing wont work. Why do u think bhuvi worked on his skills....he realized only swing wont help him. 

Very true wrt bowlers. The 2 Ws were picked with barely any FC experience. Abbey Kuruvilla toiled and wasted away in FC cricket before making a belated debut. 

I think Thampi has met/slightly exceeded (reasonable) expectations in this IPL. In a format where even top ranked bowlers get hammered like ball boys, a rookie being a part of all these matches and bowling death overs is itself an achievement. It would be interesting to see how he bowls in the longer format. I hope he gets opportunities to take his game to the next level.

what's his height? is it just me or does he have a really low release point...seems to bend his knees in the delivery slide and a bit round arm.  good for those yorkers but in longer formats..need to extract some bounce as well.  A video of his runup from the sideon would be a better indicator.

3 hours ago, PBN said:

what's his height? is it just me or does he have a really low release point...seems to bend his knees in the delivery slide and a bit round arm.  good for those yorkers but in longer formats..need to extract some bounce as well.  A video of his runup from the sideon would be a better indicator.

He is perhaps around 6'1" but does have a low release point for sure with his somewhat round-arm action.

This often results in runs when he bowls good length and the bounce of the ball is predictable and low.

I think he can counter this issue with some slightly short of good length deliveries which will bounce a bit more. As he is a skiddy pacer, he can pull off this delivery as a variation if he does not overdo it like a really tall pacer. In the matches he has used this delivery, he has looked better.

Even the franchisee realized he has flopped and they decided to drop him. He needs to show more control over the line and length and most importantly pick wickets if he is to be considered as wicket taking bowler. Runs per over should also be low than what he has given this IPL season. Hopefully he works with the coaches and works upon the many flaws in his bowling. Age is still on his side and we may see him do well in next IPL.