BCCI announces India squad for Champions Trophy 2017

Is the Indian CT2017 squad selection satisfactory?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are you overall happy with the CT2017 indian Squad?

• Yes
    • No

24 minutes ago, kira said:

A sample of 4 doesn't count, doesn't matter if it is for 1 year or 100 years

A sample of 4 may not be big - but in terms of cricketing calendar -  that is 1 year of gameplay so in essence in 2016 ,  while chasing he was avg. 13 in 4 games. 

Edited by bleaf27
11 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:

A sample of 4 may not be big - but in terms of cricketing calendar -  that is 1 year of gameplay so in essence in 2016 ,  while chasing he was avg. 13 in 4 games. 

Why do you keep mentioning his average of 13 in 4 games? Are you new to cricket? India has barely played 11 odis in the last 1 year, this data that you keep pointing to is useless, bring something valid to the discuss, Rohit is one of the best openers in the world, he is way better than amla.

Edited by kira
2 hours ago, kira said:

Why do you keep mentioning his average of 13 in 4 games? Are you new to cricket? India has barely played 11 odis in the last 1 year, this data that you keep pointing to is useless, bring something valid to the discuss, Rohit is one of the best openers in the world, he is way better than amla.

Mate when you are so biased to the point where you think Rohit is one of the best openers and better than Amla then it's more of a emotional talk.    Warner, Amla , Faf , ABD all are much higher than Sharma.   And Rohit coming off an injury may not be as good as you may think.

The reason  I am bringing up his average in those 4 games is that despite being a small sample size those 4 games still show a problem in Rohit's game which is his ability to chase well -  out for 5 today while chasing a big total.  

Mate when you are so biased to the point where you think Rohit is one of the best openers and better than Amla then it's more of a emotional talk.    Warner, Amla , Faf , ABD all are much higher than Sharma.   And Rohit coming off an injury may not be as good as you may think.

The reason  I am bringing up his average in those 4 games is that despite being a small sample size those 4 games still show a problem in Rohit's game which is his ability to chase well -  out for 5 today while chasing a big total.  

Yes Rohit is the best opener in international cricket .Stats back it up too.

da72cfa39455b2b1dc8c3748a11f90d7.jpg

8 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

Yes Rohit is the best opener in international cricket .Stats back it up too.

da72cfa39455b2b1dc8c3748a11f90d7.jpg

Rohit has average of 51 from 69 matches and Amla has an avg of 50.74 from 145 matches , who would be better ?

How does his stats look overseas and while chasing ?

Edited by bleaf27
45 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:

Rohit has average of 51 from 69 matches and Amla has an avg of 50.74 from 145 matches , who would be better ?

How does his stats look overseas and while chasing ?

Amla's average drops 4-5 runs if you exclude windies, he's built his average by bashing the windies, if you value the performance agains the windies too much then sure amla is better :laugh1: not to forget, amla bhai is a massive choker

28 minutes ago, kira said:

Amla's average drops 4-5 runs if you exclude windies, he's built his average by bashing the windies, if you value the performance agains the windies too much then sure amla is better :laugh1: not to forget, amla bhai is a massive choker

Amla barely averages 45 in the last 3 years, even including minnows.  Hashim bhai had a couple of golden years in ODIs a few years back, looks like that's casting a big perception halo for bleaf.  He's not up to date with the current performances, and doesn't want to admit that talunt is actually right up there in ODIs.   Hence the silly stat slicing with 4 games.   Reality is that apart from Warner,  there is no other opener that you can honestly claim as better than Rohit.  Particularly his ability has to score daddy hundreds in ODIs and set up games for the team is really quite special.  I can understand the talunt hate, its extremely common, and not entirely without basis.  But takes a particular attitude to man up and accept facts, or not.   

9 hours ago, sandeep said:

Amla barely averages 45 in the last 3 years, even including minnows.  Hashim bhai had a couple of golden years in ODIs a few years back, looks like that's casting a big perception halo for bleaf.  He's not up to date with the current performances, and doesn't want to admit that talunt is actually right up there in ODIs.   Hence the silly stat slicing with 4 games.   Reality is that apart from Warner,  there is no other opener that you can honestly claim as better than Rohit.  Particularly his ability has to score daddy hundreds in ODIs and set up games for the team is really quite special.  I can understand the talunt hate, its extremely common, and not entirely without basis.  But takes a particular attitude to man up and accept facts, or not.   

My focus was on how Rohit performed in the past one year while chasing mate -  Not my fault it is such a small subset of games.  I am not saying it is big enough to make a significant conclusion.    But again, I never denied that Rohit is  a good player ,  I agree to that completely but being the best opener in ODI is not something I agree with.  Rohit has a weakness while chasing and that's what I think sets him a bit back. 

11 hours ago, bleaf27 said:

My focus was on how Rohit performed in the past one year while chasing mate -  Not my fault it is such a small subset of games.  I am not saying it is big enough to make a significant conclusion.    But again, I never denied that Rohit is  a good player ,  I agree to that completely but being the best opener in ODI is not something I agree with.  Rohit has a weakness while chasing and that's what I think sets him a bit back. 

If you look at any batsman's stats from a specific angle, you can find 'weaknesses'.  You can claim that he's not great while chasing, but who's better?  And if some other opener is better when chasing, then I'm sure that guy's going to have his own set of weaknesses.   You claim Amla is better than Rohit, when he actually averages 15 runs lower and almost 15 lower in strike rate as well - that just says it all right there.  And forget chasing, Amla is a well-known super-choker when it comes to tournaments.    

Rohit is by no means that great an opener - he habitually is a dot ball machine in the first 6-8 overs, and really shits on the team's momentum up front - he essentially bets that he's going to make up the run-rate if he plays a big innings - which he does if he lasts - but the times he doesn't, he ends up having eaten 40-50 balls of the powerplay for a 30-ish score.   I find this approach extremely frustrating - but this hole in his batting doesn't change the fact that he is, by any metric, in the top openers in ODI cricket, and would be an automatic pick for any ODI side if available.    

9 hours ago, sandeep said:

If you look at any batsman's stats from a specific angle, you can find 'weaknesses'.  You can claim that he's not great while chasing, but who's better?  And if some other opener is better when chasing, then I'm sure that guy's going to have his own set of weaknesses.   You claim Amla is better than Rohit, when he actually averages 15 runs lower and almost 15 lower in strike rate as well - that just says it all right there.  And forget chasing, Amla is a well-known super-choker when it comes to tournaments.    

Rohit is by no means that great an opener - he habitually is a dot ball machine in the first 6-8 overs, and really shits on the team's momentum up front - he essentially bets that he's going to make up the run-rate if he plays a big innings - which he does if he lasts - but the times he doesn't, he ends up having eaten 40-50 balls of the powerplay for a 30-ish score.   I find this approach extremely frustrating - but this hole in his batting doesn't change the fact that he is, by any metric, in the top openers in ODI cricket, and would be an automatic pick for any ODI side if available.    

I find  Amla / Warner / ABD / McCullum /  Faf to be much better openers.   Like you mentioned yourself , none of those players bring a decline to the momentum in the first powerplay.  Rohit takes his times to dig in and unless he scores big it kinda sets the team two steps back.  

Amla has the same average as Rohit and he's played twice the number of matches  - so If Amla has the same average has Rohit and you think "Amla" is is a super choker , what does that say about Rohit ?    From the stats put above ,  Amla actually has a higher SR than Rohit. 

Again,  my issue is with the contention that claims Rohit to be the best ODI opener - I do not agree with it quite simply put.   I do not see him walking into Aus or SA opening pair. 

On 13/05/2017 at 5:40 PM, sandeep said:

The train is right on track till the word 'frustrating' and frustratingly it derails after that.:p:

On 5/8/2017 at 10:51 AM, Cricketics said:

My only concern in this squad is - Ravi Ashwin. Without any match prctice, he is going to go into CT as our bowler. This is my concern. And he isn't the best ODI spinner in the world or Kohli/ABDof spin bowling in ODI's that he should have been picked like that. This isn't test match where he's probabaly the best. ODI is different game and he isn't the best and without any match practice, its a very bad pick by selectors. 

On 5/8/2017 at 0:16 PM, Cricketics said:

How many chances has he been given against top team?   And you are saying a no match practice player like Ashwin is better than Mishra? No he isn't without match practice.

On 5/8/2017 at 11:26 AM, Cricketics said:

Should have picked Mishra for Ashwin. Can't believe he keeps missing out in LOI tournament squads because of other players and his contemporaries having better reputation from test cricket.

Top bowler in recent workd t20. Never used properly after that.

Bol bol kar thak gaya. Got tired of saying but no one understood.

Ashwin sucks in ODI's guys. Please realize and stop backing his selection in ODI's.

Result is in fromt of you.

they should have picked a youngster Kuldeep or Mishra.

Disappointing stuff.

He is the best in test not in odi's.