Long live the Chesistance

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

Pujara is a champion bat and deserved his place ahead of gimmicks like Rohit in test which was a bad move by Kohli but lets not  mix up the issue again about Kumble and Kohli and exaggerate that Kumble saved Pujara.

Kohli was trying too many things which was wronf but Pujara had failed previously like Maniac pointed above and that is when Kohli opted to try another played from the squad.

Lets not forget that there was a time everyone wanted Rahane at 3 as he was playing so well and wanted Pujara out of the team, there is a reason why those thoughts were being shared by all everywhere including here on ICF

Again, wrong move by Kohli to try someone like Rohit ahead of Pujara, but if those post is to show how wrong Kohli and co have been towards Kumble, then again we are starting a topic which we don't know mich about as recent articles have again shown no one is right and that we still don't know who was at fault or could have been at fault. In fact most article sill point towards Kumble support cac over bcci and giving them more importance.

That all said, Pujara is a champion bat and one of the best in the world. He should be our no.3 for years to come as together with Rahane and Kohli, he makes our top-middle order, the best in the world.

But we do.  Kumble wanted to stay on as Coach.  Kohli didn't want him to.   Which is, at a minimum, abuse of player power.   Especially because there is no explicit cause - Kumble wasn't guilty of acting against the team's interests unlike Guru Greg.  Nor was he guilty of putting himself ahead of the team.  

The Pujara/tailunt debacle in tests is just one glaring example of where VK has demonstrated that he needs another strong voice in his corner - one that has the strength of "character" to speak against him.   Team India would have been better off for it, instead of going back to the growling tracer bullet.  

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

The Pujara/tailunt debacle in tests is just one glaring example of where VK has demonstrated that he needs another strong voice in his corner - one that has the strength of "character" to speak against him.   Team India would have been better off for it, instead of going back to the growling tracer bullet.  

Kumble was a voice which could have helped Kohli but may be Kohli thought he might not help Indian cricket in future  in other aspects and hence "shared" his views. Who knows may be Kohli is right also as we exactly don't know which moves would have been better for future of Indian cricket. 

Kohli liked attacking with seamers in test series  and we did well with that approach and may be Kumble did not like that approach in India, I mean who knows exactly. I have seen Kumble as a defensive captain against Pakistan who did not declare in time and it cost us the game and ended in draw, may be he carries the same defensive mindset and hence Kohli might not have liked his approach in test, even though he was right on many other occasions and Kohli was wrong too on many occasions.

May be getting Moody will be the best move and not tracer bullet. I want Moody but only time will decide what happens

@Cricketics 

The article below says it as well as I could say it - 

http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-blog/shortchanging-the-stakeholders-from-kohli-to-tomic/259884

1. The team is ultimately the captain’s. Unless the captain, by his own performance, doesn’t command a place in the side, it is he who is more ‘valuable’ in a sense, than any other. Therefore, if he cannot work with an individual, that person will have to go. That is reasonable enough.
2. But – and this is a big but – when the above involves the departure of someone who has not only had great success but is also a legendary player, some explanation is needed as to what went wrong. I am not for a minute suggesting that it is impossible that Kumble made any mistakes as coach. A team can win when it’s unhappy, it can win when there are serious differences, it can win because players are professional enough and talented enough to put that aside on the field. And the coach may have had minimal contribution. But, and this is key, we don’t know this.  What’s there on the outer is that Kumble took over as coach, was meticulous, analytical and planned as he has always been. He inherited a good team. That good team delivered great results. When, after that, he is all but asked to leave, is an Indian cricket fan entitled to ask: Why? You can ask a successful coach who is also a legend to quit, but you better have a damned good reason, and please let me know the reason.

Kohli was right to talk of the ‘sanctity of the dressing room’ when refusing to divulge any more. But does it strike anyone that this same sanctity wasn’t really all that respected when there was a flood of leaks about the captain’s unhappiness with the coach from before the Champions Trophy even started? About a month before Kumble’s resignation note made official what was already public? Where did those reports come from? In a press conference, Kohli alleged it was imagination by journalists who were trying to earn a livelihood. If that is true then those who wrote those reports should quit journalism immediately and make their fortunes on the stock market for being able to imagine such a specific event into existence.

Again, it is important to note that there may well have been problems with Kumble’s method that didn’t gel well with perhaps this particular bunch of Indian players. But the onus is on Kohli to explain what those were, because followers of the game are entitled to that much.

3 hours ago, Tibarn said:

Why not? Kohli hardly has a perfect record. However, Kohli and Rahane overall have less to prove than Pujara in my opinion. 

Kohli: 

Excellent averages in Aus, SA, and NZ show he can play bounce, swing, and seam. His averages are slightly below 40 in Windies and SL, which are easily correctable with 1 good series in both countries. His England average is horrible. He will have to bring it up, but even if it never crosses 40 and only settles somewhere in the 30s, that will still put him with ATG batsmen. From memory, only Sachin and ABD have averages over 40 in all major countries. Most ATG have at least 1 country where they have sub-par averages. For example: Dravid in SA,  Ponting in India, Lara in India/NZ, and Vivian Richards in NZ. 

kohli.png

Pujara:

From looking at Pujara's record, there isn't much he accomplished outside Asia, unfortunately, and this is from someone who like Pujara as a batsman. He has over 40 averages in only India and South Africa, and has 1 very special knock in Lanka. His English record is better than Kohli's, but he still didn't score very many runs there. He needs a good tour of Windies and Australia to push his average up past 40 in both countries. His NZ average needs as much work as Kohli's English record.   

puj.png

Rahane:

Barely below 40 in India, needs a good series in England, and needs a very good series in SL to get his averages above 40 in every major country. He has an outstanding record everywhere else.  

rahane.png

It's clear that,  in the quest to become ATG batsman, Rahane and Kohli are closer than Pujara. None of them are perfect, but I never claimed otherwise.  

Without going into stats Kohli is average against seam and swing.

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

@Cricketics 

The article below says it as well as I could say it - 

http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-blog/shortchanging-the-stakeholders-from-kohli-to-tomic/259884

The article again ends in a diplomatic way again like many other ones because the person wants to be on safe side

"Again, it is important to note that there may well have been problems with Kumble’s method that didn’t gel well with perhaps this particular bunch of Indian players. But the onus is on Kohli to explain what those were, because followers of the game are entitled to that much."

Again, because most people don't know what exactly is going on so it is absolute futile to blame any party totally and start giving extra credit to someone or either of them.

Kumble did fine job at home like many other previous coaches and we thank him for his services. He was yet to be test a d so is Kohli when we go overseas.

Real test of Kohli's captaincy will be when we go to South Africa.

4 hours ago, Tibarn said:

Why not? Kohli hardly has a perfect record. However, Kohli and Rahane overall have less to prove than Pujara in my opinion. 

Kohli: 

Excellent averages in Aus, SA, and NZ show he can play bounce, swing, and seam. His averages are slightly below 40 in Windies and SL, which are easily correctable with 1 good series in both countries. His England average is horrible. He will have to bring it up, but even if it never crosses 40 and only settles somewhere in the 30s, that will still put him with ATG batsmen. From memory, only Sachin and ABD have averages over 40 in all major countries. Most ATG have at least 1 country where they have sub-par averages. For example: Dravid in SA,  Ponting in India, Lara in India/NZ, and Vivian Richards in NZ. 

kohli.png

Pujara:

From looking at Pujara's record, there isn't much he accomplished outside Asia, unfortunately, and this is from someone who like Pujara as a batsman. He has over 40 averages in only India and South Africa, and has 1 very special knock in Lanka. His English record is better than Kohli's, but he still didn't score very many runs there. He needs a good tour of Windies and Australia to push his average up past 40 in both countries. His NZ average needs as much work as Kohli's English record.   

puj.png

Rahane:

Barely below 40 in India, needs a good series in England, and needs a very good series in SL to get his averages above 40 in every major country. He has an outstanding record everywhere else.  

rahane.png

It's clear that,  in the quest to become ATG batsman, Rahane and Kohli are closer than Pujara. None of them are perfect, but I never claimed otherwise.  

I would not classify ABDV and Sachin in the same "era" at all. Moreover, their batting positions and roles are somewhat different as well. I'd say that ABDV and Smith have averages >40 in all places in this generation of batsmen.

The article was very well written, but I feel that it comes across as being a bit too soft on Pujara, and indeed he seems rather defensive about his own inability to convert starts. Although I like the bloke much, I still feel he has technical shortcomings outside Asia. VK may have nice averages everywhere (apart from Eng), but the ones in SA and Oz came on uncharacteristically flat tracks IMO.

Rahane, Kohli, Pujara are all good in their own ways, but they have some issues to fix before they can become Test greats.

7 hours ago, sandeep said:

But we do.  Kumble wanted to stay on as Coach.  Kohli didn't want him to.   Which is, at a minimum, abuse of player power.   Especially because there is no explicit cause - Kumble wasn't guilty of acting against the team's interests unlike Guru Greg.  Nor was he guilty of putting himself ahead of the team.  

under that cheerleading bimbo (shastri), I fear that India will channel their aggression into becoming vapid loudmouths who will turn tail and run if the going gets tough. If only there could exist someone who could sufficiently pander to Kohli's ginormous ego, whilst also retaining a strong voice and independence - but this is of course self-contradictory. Perhaps Kirsten may have handled Rat better.