Long live the Chesistance

Quality read on India's pivotal test batsman.   I don't want to turn this thread into another one on the Kumble vs Kohli issue.  But read this article, and you will see that Anil Kumble played a critical role in 'saving' Pujara, helping him turn around his performances - couldn't have drawn the 1st test in Rajkot against England without Che, or come anywhere close to winning against the Australians.    If this is the only thing that Kumble gets credited for in his short tenure as Coach of Team India - it still is a massive contribution.  

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1107835/long-live-the-chesistance

Kumble has only brought good things to the team. Backing Pujara, including Kuldeep in final test, rapping some of the players on their knuckles when they havent been their best, among other things we would never know. Shastri will only be there as a cheerleader and stroke these superstars egos by bellowing some hyperbolic BS. That's probably what Kohli wants though.

The problem lies in the Indian Media and the popularity notion of the masses which put everything that sells on a pedestal and create this enigma around it.    Kohli is a good batsman - no question about it.    However ,  there are other players who have done so tremendously for their own teams as well   - Root / ABD  / Shakib they all have picked their teams up but you do not see them so hyped up -  their sanity levels are maintained .   In India , anything that has potential to sell  ( I'm looking at Dhinchak Pooja girl)  , they will pick and run with it.    Kohlis  PR machine needs to get an award for creating a "brand" out of him apart from his cricketing skills to make him indispensable in the media.  Now it has gotten to the point where Kohli the brand has created factions and can stand up to this country's past cricketers and best cricketing brains around.  

Kumble has never been the limelight kind of guy but yes I can definitely see him as the guy reinforcing respect / hardwork and discipline and our primma donnas certainly do not look like they have the capacity to be disciplined or to listen to anyone.  Shikhar/Kohli/Yuvi  all come across as those senior girls from  Chak De movie who refused to listen to SRK .   I wish Kumble was given the same backing as SRK got in the movie to bench these non listening idiots off the ground until they realize who's the boss 

25 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:

I wish Kumble was given the same backing as SRK got in the movie to bench these non listening idiots off the ground until they realize who's the boss 

I wish Virat had the brains to see that Kumble as coach was only going to help him achieve bigger and better things for the team and for himself.  

Now that Kumble is gone, Pujara has to produce a couple of centuries each series or else his place will be gone. It was a travesty that he was dropped for the likes of tailunt and Raina. As the Rahane case has proven, the best way to deal with a struggling player is to assure him of a spot for an entire series no matter what. With that kind of guarantee Pujara can come up with good scores almost every series. To be fair, at the time he was dropped his fitness level wasn't confidence inspiring at all. To have a good few more years he needs to maintain a good fitness level.

1 hour ago, bleaf27 said:

The problem lies in the Indian Media and the popularity notion of the masses which put everything that sells on a pedestal and create this enigma around it.    Kohli is a good batsman - no question about it.    However ,  there are other players who have done so tremendously for their own teams as well   - Root / ABD  / Shakib they all have picked their teams up but you do not see them so hyped up -  their sanity levels are maintained .   In India , anything that has potential to sell  ( I'm looking at Dhinchak Pooja girl)  , they will pick and run with it.    Kohlis  PR machine needs to get an award for creating a "brand" out of him apart from his cricketing skills to make him indispensable in the media.  Now it has gotten to the point where Kohli the brand has created factions and can stand up to this country's past cricketers and best cricketing brains around.  

Kumble has never been the limelight kind of guy but yes I can definitely see him as the guy reinforcing respect / hardwork and discipline and our primma donnas certainly do not look like they have the capacity to be disciplined or to listen to anyone.  Shikhar/Kohli/Yuvi  all come across as those senior girls from  Chak De movie who refused to listen to SRK .   I wish Kumble was given the same backing as SRK got in the movie to bench these non listening idiots off the ground until they realize who's the boss 

:adore: bang on

The real test of the Chesistance will be when we go overseas again. If he goes into his shell of just defending all the deliveries while getting out for lowish scores, then we would have been celebrating too early.  There's never been a question about his ability to bat in subcontinental conditions. 

1 hour ago, Tibarn said:

The real test of the Chesistance will be when we go overseas again. If he goes into his shell of just defending all the deliveries while getting out for lowish scores, then we would have been celebrating too early.  There's never been a question about his ability to bat in subcontinental conditions. 

So would you apply the same logic with Kohli in England?   Pujara did way better than him in England, but VK is still God of Indian batting, while apparently ChePu has to keep scoring 100s to "justify his selection" and folks who disagree are "celebrating too early".   

5 minutes ago, sandeep said:

So would you apply the same logic with Kohli in England?   Pujara did way better than him in England, but VK is still God of Indian batting, while apparently ChePu has to keep scoring 100s to "justify his selection" and folks who disagree are "celebrating too early".   

Chepu played a blinder in Srilanka...while if it's a Rohit vs Chepu debate sure I understand but if the focus is solely on Pujara then there was a lot of criticism on his approach on the way he played in Eng,Nzl,Aus if one goes back. The Srilankan innings(even though still technically SC) was one of the finest innings played by an Indian in tests in the last 2 years which kind of redeemed him.

Edited by maniac
7 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I'm backing Chepu to do lot better in Eng and Australia this time around. He used to get into his shell during the previous tours and when runs dried out, he used to get out as pressure increased. If he rotates strikes a bit more and finds ways of scoring runs and become a bit more positive, he will be lot more successful. I'm pretty sure he would have worked on his problems. You learn as you play more and learn to adapt in different conditions. 

Pujara needs to still prove he can play match winning innings overseas but then again overseas is not the be all and end all so I still think he is our best test bat overall.

Now coming to Why he was sidelined-well circa 2014-2015 we played primarily overseas tests back to back- Pujara didn't do too well and at that time I don't blame the management to look for alternatives.

Were Rohit or Raina the answer- that's a different debate that's been done to death here so will skip that.

Pujara's problem was he would go into a shell which would let the opponents dominate and then his resistance wouldn't have a lot of runs to show for which did become a problem. We already had Vijay who was in that role anchoring the innings and holding his end up.

Pujara don't even think redemption is the right word because he was always a killer player on SC pitches. His redemption will be when he performs in the next leg of overseas tours.

Yes if someone dropped him from the team while playing at home then heads need to roll .

2 hours ago, Nonbeliever said:

:adore: bang on

Well it is a shame bud, looking at kohli, dhawan and yuvi these guys seemed to have spent more time tasking with their hair stylists and make up team than  their national coach! 

Coach is higher in hierarchy in any sport and refusing to speak to the coach should result in expulsion 

24 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Why not? Kohli hardly has a perfect record. However, Kohli and Rahane overall have less to prove than Pujara in my opinion. 

Kohli: 

Excellent averages in Aus, SA, and NZ show he can play bounce, swing, and seam. His averages are slightly below 40 in Windies and SL, which are easily correctable with 1 good series in both countries. His England average is horrible. He will have to bring it up, but even if it never crosses 40 and only settles somewhere in the 30s, that will still put him with ATG batsmen. From memory, only Sachin and ABD have averages over 40 in all major countries. Most ATG have at least 1 country where they have sub-par averages. For example: Dravid in SA,  Ponting in India, Lara in India/NZ, and Vivian Richards in NZ. 

kohli.png

Pujara:

From looking at Pujara's record, there isn't much he accomplished outside Asia, unfortunately, and this is from someone who like Pujara as a batsman. He has over 40 averages in only India and South Africa, and has 1 very special knock in Lanka. His English record is better than Kohli's, but he still didn't score very many runs there. He needs a good tour of Windies and Australia to push his average up past 40 in both countries. His NZ average needs as much work as Kohli's English record.   

puj.png

Rahane:

Barely below 40 in India, needs a good series in England, and needs a very good series in SL to get his averages above 40 in every major country. He has an outstanding record everywhere else.  

rahane.png

It's clear that,  in the quest to become ATG batsman, Rahane and Kohli are closer than Pujara. None of them are perfect, but I never claimed otherwise.  

4 hours ago, sandeep said:

I wish Virat had the brains to see that Kumble as coach was only going to help him achieve bigger and better things for the team and for himself.  

Pujara is a champion bat and deserved his place ahead of gimmicks like Rohit in test which was a bad move by Kohli but lets not  mix up the issue again about Kumble and Kohli and exaggerate that Kumble saved Pujara.

Kohli was trying too many things which was wronf but Pujara had failed previously like Maniac pointed above and that is when Kohli opted to try another played from the squad.

Lets not forget that there was a time everyone wanted Rahane at 3 as he was playing so well and wanted Pujara out of the team, there is a reason why those thoughts were being shared by all everywhere including here on ICF

Again, wrong move by Kohli to try someone like Rohit ahead of Pujara, but if those post is to show how wrong Kohli and co have been towards Kumble, then again we are starting a topic which we don't know mich about as recent articles have again shown no one is right and that we still don't know who was at fault or could have been at fault. In fact most article sill point towards Kumble support cac over bcci and giving them more importance.

That all said, Pujara is a champion bat and one of the best in the world. He should be our no.3 for years to come as together with Rahane and Kohli, he makes our top-middle order, the best in the world.