Crunch Test Match in South Africa. Pick your bottom 5 of the XI

sandeep

2 hours ago, sarchasm said:

The balance of this team for matches in non subcontinental conditions is still not ideal. But as the legendary Rumsfeld said, you go to war with the army you have, not what you wish to have in future. So here's my list of gladiators.

Rahul

Vajayjay

Chepu

The Rat

Renuka Shahane

Ravichandra

Saha

Pandya

Cool Dip

Shami

Umesh

In an ideal world, I'd have tried to accommodate Bhuvi somewhere but the shallow batting line up leaves no room.

Our Shama Sikander can not bowl more than 4 overs, at a time, because our captain CHIKU aware of his physical fitness, I think we need one fit/fresh bowler for Southfrica tour.

Avesh khan gone now,i think so.someone from under 19 or how about

Thakur? Abhi bhi dum hai ? 30 ke baad?

1 hour ago, pnimesh1955 said:

Our Shama Sikander can not bowl more than 4 overs, at a time, because our captain CHIKU aware of his physical fitness, I think we need one fit/fresh bowler for Southfrica tour.

Avesh khan gone now,i think so.someone from under 19 or how about

Thakur? Abhi bhi dum hai ? 30 ke baad?

That fresh/fit bowler you're looking for is Bhuvi.

6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

what he admitted does not mean much. I do not see much difference. He was good in SC then too and now. Nothing has changed. He still struggles whenever surface is a bit flat. 

Ashwin before Chennai test was the best Off spinner I have seen.He was impeccable with lengths and the control he exhibited was legendary. After that Sports hernia he has changed and hope fully he will regain his mojo. I cannot ignore his figures it does not matter where he got them. Bhajji and Kumble never had this kind of success with Kookaburra ball.

Philander is spin version of Ashwin both fitness wise and ability with bat and ball.SA still play him on non responsive pitches.What I expect from Ashwin is control in first innings and chip in with some wickets in second innings if pitches are green.Him playing county cricket is positive step.

On 8/16/2017 at 0:23 AM, putrevus said:

Ashwin before Chennai test was the best Off spinner I have seen.He was impeccable with lengths and the control he exhibited was legendary. After that Sports hernia he has changed and hope fully he will regain his mojo. I cannot ignore his figures it does not matter where he got them. Bhajji and Kumble never had this kind of success with Kookaburra ball.

Philander is spin version of Ashwin both fitness wise and ability with bat and ball.SA still play him on non responsive pitches.What I expect from Ashwin is control in first innings and chip in with some wickets in second innings if pitches are green.Him playing county cricket is positive step.

Sports hernia has been there long before that. It did not happen during Chennai test. Any bowler will good on turning tracks and Chennai wasn't that and he got exposed badly. Regarding Ashwin and Philander comparison, yes, both depend on helpful tracks but Ashwin isn't anywhere as accurate as Philander. He leaks runs whenever he does not get wickets. If you want accuracy then there is Jadeja who is metronomical like Philander.

Edited by rkt.india

Vijay

Rahul

Pujara

Kohli (c)

Rahane

Hardik (Yes I'll throw him up there,this gamble may work wonders)

Saha (Wk)

Ashwin

Shami

Ishant/BK

Umesh

Reserves:- Dhawan,Rohit,Karthik(Don't think Pant or Kishan are ready for away tours right now and Parthiv is not a wicket keeper but a goalkeeper :giggle:),Kuldeep,Siraj (Rate him higher than any other young upcoming fast bowlers in India,specially in this format.) Jadeja misses out unfortunately in a 17 men squad.

You guys are seriously underrating Ashwins batting outside SC , dont forget hes a better batsmen overseas . 

1. VJ

2. Rahul

3. Pujara

4. Virat

5. Rahane

6.  Ashwin 

7.  Pandya

8.  Saha

9.  Bhuvi

10. Shami

11. Yadav 

This is the only way I can see India field 5 bowlers , still a risk . 

I will be very surprised if Saha does well in SA/Eng . Pandya may struggle as well 

On 15/08/2017 at 7:15 PM, sarchasm said:

Yes, when I said Ashwin and Jadeja are defensive options abroad, it was not meant to be a slight. I agree there is nothing wrong with having a defensive bowling option, but you cannot have two of them. In other words, choice should be between Jadeja and Ashwin with Kuldeep a dead certainty.

Even Kuldeep will be a defensive option , spinners can have one off good game but to expect them to be consistently attacking in those conditions is unrealistic 

Ashwin has picked wickets on flat surfaces in India and Sri Lanka as well. But I'm not convinced he will be effective in SA or Australia(or even NZ) as those places in particular are graveyard for finger spinners as the wickets tend to be quite hard an dont break up that much. I think he could do well in England but he has to re-invent himself if he has to do well in SA or Aus.

But we need to understand that spinners will not do much damage in those conditions. Its the seamers who have to do bulk of the wicket taking. If the spinner can do a decent supporting job while getting breakthroughs, it will still be a decent effort. Or hope for some other miracle bowler but that's a long shot.

Edited by kubrickian
On 16/08/2017 at 1:52 PM, rkt.india said:

Sports hernia has been there long before that. It did happen during Chennai test. Any bowler will good on turning tracks and Chennai wasn't that and he got exposed badly. Regarding Ashwin and Philander comparison, yes, both depend on helpful tracks but Ashwin isn't anywhere as accurate as Philander. He leaks runs whenever he does not get wickets. If you want accuracy then there is Jadeja who is metronomical like Philander.

That's not true in tests. His economy rates are always hovering around 3-3.2. Between 2013 till now Ashwin's economy rates in those countries is just 3.18 which is better than anyone except Jadeja. Our fast men have close to 4, Yadav has close to 5. No matter what you or I think, Indian management would not be dropping a guy with 300 test wickets on any pitch unless he miserably fails to perform. So you can be rest assured that he is going to play in SA. 

1 hour ago, cricketpitch said:

That's not true in tests. His economy rates are always hovering around 3-3.2. Between 2013 till now Ashwin's economy rates in those countries is just 3.18 which is better than anyone except Jadeja. Our fast men have close to 4, Yadav has close to 5. No matter what you or I think, Indian management would not be dropping a guy with 300 test wickets on any pitch unless he miserably fails to perform. So you can be rest assured that he is going to play in SA. 

3.2 is a lot for someone who is a defensive option in those places.

On 8/16/2017 at 0:22 AM, rkt.india said:

Sports hernia has been there long before that. It did happen during Chennai test. Any bowler will good on turning tracks and Chennai wasn't that and he got exposed badly. Regarding Ashwin and Philander comparison, yes, both depend on helpful tracks but Ashwin isn't anywhere as accurate as Philander. He leaks runs whenever he does not get wickets. If you want accuracy then there is Jadeja who is metronomical like Philander.

Ashwin has more weapons than Jadeja and gives more with bat. The reason why Ashwin experiments is Jadeja. Even in Joburg he was economical. I will still give Ashwin couple of tests to show what he got before writing him off.

Edited by putrevus