7 hours ago, rkt.india said:

We need bowlers like Saini for SA and Aus who are on taller side and hit that good length often at good pace.

I was thinking the same

We need someone like Saini in SA who will bowl those top of off stump deliveries repeatedly at pace

He looks like a different bowler  .... now that he has added extra pace with his existing accuracy

But, how to get him in now !

What is his height ?    Around 6'0" perhaps 

Edited by express bowling
4 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I was thinking the same

We need someone like Saini in SA who will bowl those top of off deliveries repeatedly at pace

He looks like a different bowler  .... now that he has added extra pace with his existing accuracy

I  thought I read somewhere he was 6'1. maybe I'm mistaken.

55 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We need someone like Saini in SA who will bowl those top of off deliveries repeatedly at pace

There is NO WAY to get him in now. Barring, if Ishant Sharma's niggle makes him skip the tour. But he is only resting and I.S. will go to SA, so there is absolutely no way for Saini, maximum he can go as net bowler after Delhi finals gets done.

But you need to remember that Kohli only likes experienced players, so pecking order for playing 11 will be Shami, Bhuvi, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav, Bumrah and then only any others.

Edited by fineleg
24 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I don't think you can play Saini just like that in tests, I don't care how well he bowls in Ranji.England is still there , they are taking the best team to SA.

England also took their best team , Stokes not be available is Stokes's fault. If India gets beaten in SA  it is because SA is better and not because we had taken wrong players.

although it's true one pacer will not make a diff if the gap is "large", it's still important to select right players for right conditions. btw, I am not advocating for his inclusion or exclusion since I have not seen enough of him to make any call.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

although it's true one pacer will not make a diff if the gap is "large", it's still important to select right players for right conditions. btw, I am not advocating for his inclusion or exclusion since I have not seen enough of him to make any call.

I do think they are taking the best 17, will they select best 11 is a different story but that will be on captain and not on selectors.

9 hours ago, express bowling said:

I was thinking the same

We need someone like Saini in SA who will bowl those top of off stump deliveries repeatedly at pace

Yes around 6 but the important thing is his high arm action which gives extra bounce too and accuracy.

11 hours ago, eternalhope said:

Wait for just another gem coming out of the know all resident expert.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off_cutter

"The calling card of this delivery, for the batsman to read it in advance, is the typical wobble in the seam after ball release with the seam slanting predominantly towards the batsman. A simple way for a beginner to learn to bowl cutters is to try imparting strong back-spin to the ball by pulling down on the seam at the time of release while keeping the seam vertical."

http://www.espn.in/cricket/story/_/id/17190493/james-anderson-holds-forth-swing-bowling

"But I was a better, more experienced bowler on that trip, with better plans. I'd sort of learnt how to wobble the ball, so I could nip it off the seam rather than just rely on swing."

Edited by renjith
9 hours ago, putrevus said:

I don't think you can play Saini just like that in tests, I don't care how well he bowls in Ranji.England is still there , they are taking the best team to SA.

England also took their best team , Stokes not be available is Stokes's fault. If India gets beaten in SA  it is because SA is better and not because we had taken wrong players.

In England, you need swing bowlers. Saini's bowling will suite SA pitches more than England. Regarding playing him in tests. we played Sreesanth, Munaf overseas after just two tests at home and he is far more experienced than them as he has toured SA recently with India A team and did reasonably well on rather slower pitches they got to play on.