How Many Matches Will Rahane Cost Us, Before He is Dumped?

2 hours ago, sergio04 said:

rahane did pretty well yesterday

we could not score 130 in last 18 overs with 7 wickets in hand 

because pitch slowed down and got sluggish as the ball got older and it happened both innings. Aus were looking like posting 360 easily but they too found it difficult to time the ball later on.

1 hour ago, Khota said:

Top order did its part. Dhoni was the problem.

How was Dhoni problem. He came in when barely anything balls were left. yo had to score 10 runs per over. It is not easy for anyone in that situation to just come in and blast. I was expecting Jadhav/Pandey could get us a big 15-20 run over to close the gap between and runs and deliveries but that didn't happen. Jadhav got out and game was pretty much over.

After 15 overs, 
Aus   95 for 0
India 85 for 0 AMRahane 48(56) and RGSharma 36(34)

After 35 overs,

Aus 231 for 1

India 218 for 3

So, essentially Australia's scoring rate was consistently better than that of India's but then India bowlers (i.e. Umesh et al) pulled back things a bit until 45th over and then Australia had relatively good finish. 

No one denies that Indian finishers (Jadhav and Pandey here) were not up to the task in chasing but they had taken up greater burden because they still had to chase nearly 120 runs in the last 15 overs. That is a burden that most teams will not like their middle or lower middle to take in a chasing cause. 

2 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

After 15 overs, 
Aus   95 for 0
India 85 for 0 AMRahane 48(56) and RGSharma 36(34)

After 35 overs,

Aus 231 for 1

India 218 for 3

So, essentially Australia's scoring rate was consistently better than that of India's but then India bowlers (i.e. Umesh et al) pulled back things a bit until 45th over and then Australia had relatively good finish. 

No one denies that Indian finishers (Jadhav and Pandey here) were not up to the task in chasing but they had taken up greater burden because they still had to chase nearly 120 runs in the last 15 overs. That is a burden that most teams will not like their middle or lower middle to take in a chasing cause. 

120 runs in 15 overs is easy peasy these days. If you cant chase that with that many wickets remaining and one threatening bowler in the opposition, you may as well start playing against minnows.

23 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

120 runs in 15 overs is easy peasy these days. If you cant chase that with that many wickets remaining and one threatening bowler in the opposition, you may as well start playing against minnows.

Depending upon the opposition bowlers and conditions, it is not that easy. The good fast bowlers of Australia (Cummins, NCN and ) had a good chunk (11) of their overs left at 35th over mark. So, I did not have much hopes unless the finishers really do well. And there was a stupid rain break "breaking the momentum". 

And there are no two words about it that Jadhav was as much or a bigger culprit than Rahane when he dotted a lot of balls from Zampa (who is Australia's weak link against India). 

7 hours ago, rkt.india said:

How was Dhoni problem. He came in when barely anything balls were left. yo had to score 10 runs per over. It is not easy for anyone in that situation to just come in and blast. I was expecting Jadhav/Pandey could get us a big 15-20 run over to close the gap between and runs and deliveries but that didn't happen. Jadhav got out and game was pretty much over.

The top order left a decent enough total for them to win it. They did not.