Kamlesh Singh Nagarkoti - 17-year-old (another potential 90 mph fast bowler)

rkt.india

53 minutes ago, bhakum20 said:

Great read. On the one hand you have this kid who came out of nowhere, and on the other hand you have Arjun Tendulkar who possibly has the best training at his disposal and last I heard he was barely breaking 80mph. Maybe it's true that fast bowlers cannot be made.

This is not to say at all that Arjun cannot become a skillful bowler, he may very well become one, but my point is purely about speed.

Nagarkoti was quick even at age 8! Would be interesting to know whether it's genes, or conditioning at a young age: running a lot etc. He can write a book about it.

Arjun is only 18. You wont find many bowling 90 mph at 18. Lot of bowlers bowled 80 mph at 18 and became quick bowler later.  You can get quicker till 25-26 as body matures.  I am sure if Arjun refines his bowling action, he will get quicker because is a late starter.  He had started as a batsman but then turned to bowling seriously as he grew taller.

46 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Arjun is only 18. You wont find many bowling 90 mph at 18. Lot of bowlers bowled 80 mph at 18 and became quick bowler later.  You can get quicker till 25-26 as body matures.  I am sure if Arjun refines his bowling action, he will get quicker because is a late starter.  He had started as a batsman but then turned to bowling seriously as he grew taller.

I thought Arjun started pace bowling early because his dad wanted to become one originally.

Yep let him figure out what he’s good at on his own, he doesn’t need to be express if he can do well bowling around 80mph and get some bounce/seam with his height. He might end up being 6’1 if he hasn’t finished growing yet

5 minutes ago, bhakum20 said:

I thought Arjun started pace bowling early because his dad wanted to become one originally.

Yep let him figure out what he’s good at on his own, he doesn’t need to be express if he can do well bowling around 80mph and get some bounce/seam with his height. He might end up being 6’1 if he hasn’t finished growing yet

he is already 6 foot plus.

I don't have data to support this, but in my opinion, based on belonging to the state and now traveling there frequently, some of the Uttarakhandi talent coming through (Pant, Nagarkoti, and even Dhoni was an Uttarkhandi) can probably be traced to the genetic toughness developed from the physically demanding living conditions, coupled with clean air and water.  Even now in many kids walk 5-6 hill kilometres (and a hill kilometre ain't your weak ass plain kilometre, nossir) to and from from school.  

It's also interesting to note that the Uttarakhandis named above have all achieved prominence outside the state, reflecting the Pahari diaspora as well as the paucity of opportunities back home.

Also, flip side is that Uttarakhandis - the hillmen in particular- weren't always too tall. This is changing with better nutrition, but in my opinion it goes some way to explain Nagarkoti's height.

2 hours ago, SUMO said:

nagarkoti genes are like jadeja...you just cant turn yourself into a fielder like them however hard you take care of your fitness.

guess its bone density related, Nagar is 'pahadi' their bone structure is more robust because of generations of physical effort in hilly living areas.

2 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

I don't have data to support this, but in my opinion, based on belonging to the state and now traveling there frequently, some of the Uttarakhandi talent coming through (Pant, Nagarkoti, and even Dhoni was an Uttarkhandi) can probably be traced to the genetic toughness developed from the physically demanding living conditions, coupled with clean air and water.  Even now in many kids walk 5-6 hill kilometres (and a hill kilometre ain't your weak ass plain kilometre, nossir) to and from from school.  

It's also interesting to note that the Uttarakhandis named above have all achieved prominence outside the state, reflecting the Pahari diaspora as well as the paucity of opportunities back home.

Also, flip side is that Uttarakhandis - the hillmen in particular- weren't always too tall. This is changing with better nutrition, but in my opinion it goes some way to explain Nagarkoti's height.

I am seeing lot of tall jaunsari boys. Jaunsari are ST.

3 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

height is a disadvantage in hilly areas, it could be evolutionary. makes them more sure footed though and stronger in core.

38 minutes ago, Vilander said:

height is a disadvantage in hilly areas, it could be evolutionary. makes them more sure footed though and stronger in core.

You got the sure-footed part right, some of them walk up and down the hillsides like mountain goats!  And they're tough tough tough. I mean I'm basically a city boy / nominal Uttarkhandi, I see these short five feet four inches thin men who could take down a six footer from the plains.  They're meek fellows, but hard. 

37 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

I am seeing lot of tall jaunsari boys. Jaunsari are ST.

Yeah they're a well researched (academically) tribe from Jaunsar Bawar, probably because they followed polyandry (which incidentally they trace to Draupadi's marriage)

12 minutes ago, Vilander said:

wow , explains better gene pool but community must be ravaged with disease.

It's a very small part of Uttarakhand, so I doubt if the gene pool was impacted that much on a state wide basis.  Also, apparently the practice has almost died out except in the innermost villages.

Another titbit.  The hill areas of Uttrakhand are divided into Garhwal and Kumaon. 

Kumaon is closer to Nepal and from that cultural influence Kumaonis are inveterate meat (goat) eaters (like goat meat is an essential part of their diet) perhaps that also explains the natural toughness.  Nagarkoti is a Kumaoni.

Also, Nagarkoti is a Nepali name as well.

Edited by NameGoesHere
3 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

It's a very small part of Uttarakhand, so I doubt if the gene pool was impacted that much on a state wide basis.  Also, apparently the practice has almost died out except in the innermost villages.

Another titbit.  The hill areas of Uttrakhand are divided into Garhwal and Kumaon. 

Kumaon is closer to Nepal and from that cultural influence Kumaonis are inveterate meat (goat) eaters (like goat meat is an essential part of their diet) perhaps that also explains the natural toughness.  Nagarkoti is a Kumaoni.

Nice, wonder how good actual Nepali lads will be when they learn to play cricket well. And i ment gene pool within their community only.

27 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

goat meat is an important diet for Jaunsari-Bawar people too.  Every jaunsari wedding, i have attended, they had goat meat there.  Recently a Jaunsari friend asked us for a mutton party. Go above Kalsi towards chakrata or Lakhwar and you will see people herding goats on the road.  Goats can climb hills for their food that is why they have become such an important part of their life.  They dont have grasslands for big animals in the hills. They can use them for milk and meat both. big cattle like buffalo and cows are also there but they cant use them for meat.

29 minutes ago, NameGoesHere said:

To me the interesting comparison with Uttarakhand would be why more cricketers from Himachal aren't coming through, but that's a story for another day.

Another story for another day....

Don't know about men but my husband says  uttarakhandi( pahadi) women are too talkative  and far too inquisitive .....where as women from himanchal  don't seem so.:p:

15 minutes ago, beetle said:

Another story for another day....

Don't know about men but my husband says  uttarakhandi( pahadi) women are too talkative  and far too inquisitive .....where as women from himanchal  don't seem so.:p:

Maybe the talkative women are the reason the UK men want to get the hell out of the house and play cricket?  :biggrin:

Dunno where Suyal is, but yeah he's from UK also.

Other UK cricketers - Ekta Bisht, Pawan Negi (he of the ridiculous IPL payday),  Manish Pandey, Unmukt Chand.

Edit:  By the way you should be asking your husband- how does he know so much about Uttarakhandi and Himachali women?  :p:

Edited by NameGoesHere