Commentators are Blaming Pujara being too slow

Stuge

The only pure test cricketer we have is being criticized. Poor fellow. He was playing county working hard to improve in swing conditiins against better pace bowlers . Played out the tough bowlers who where fresh than when they bowled to lower order batters. He and Rohit stopped the fall of wickets and wicket taking momentum SA haf. They kept them wicketless for long enough time considering wickets were falling like stock of penny company on bad news. The need of the hour was what he did to perfection. Without his innings Hardiks knock was impossible. It's different batting at No 3 against such bowlers at peak than batting at 6 after they are somewhat tired and ball gets old. Well done C P.

Edited by Straight Drive
1 hour ago, Straight Drive said:

The only pure test cricketer we have is being criticized. Poor fellow. He was playing county working hard to improve in swing conditiins against better pace bowlers . Played out the tough bowlers who where fresh than when they bowled to lower order batters. He and Rohit stopped the fall of wickets and wicket taking momentum SA haf. They kept them wicketless for long enough time considering wickets were falling like stock of penny company on bad news. The need of the hour was what he did to perfection. Without his innings Hardiks knock was impossible. It's different batting at No 3 against such bowlers at peak than batting at 6 after they are somewhat tired and ball gets old. Well done C P.

Thats a good point.Batting does get easier .

6 hours ago, King Tendulkar said:

No one is saying he is to blame . Just giving some thoughts on his batting 

There is nothing wrong with Pujaras batting in test matches. he grinds it out and that is to be expected. They should start with Kohli and then work their way down.

4 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

Not particularly looking at this innings but was it not similar to other efforts he had overseas ? Tight defence , ultra defence, does not look like getting out , but his score does not tick and then eventually a ball comes with his name on it and ....

no no one is saying drop him but we can say how he can improve . Clear way he can improve is to keep board moving a bit more abs otherwise this will happen again 

He needs to rotate strike better, he simply puts too much pressure on other batsman. If he can do that he would become a great assets but I don't know if he has a game to rotate strike.Yes others got out early but what we want is when batsmen are in they should make sizable contribution.Rohit did not help the situation either.

If India has to conquer overseas they have to play without fear of failure.

Edited by putrevus
1 hour ago, King Tendulkar said:

Not particularly looking at this innings but was it not similar to other efforts he had overseas ? Tight defence , ultra defence, does not look like getting out , but his score does not tick and then eventually a ball comes with his name on it and ....

no no one is saying drop him but we can say how he can improve . Clear way he can improve is to keep board moving a bit more abs otherwise this will happen again 

He doesn't have to change his game for others. We need someone to blunt the attack. Vijay and Pujara have the most number of successful partnerships the past few years. Expecting him to change his batting style is not fair IMO.

1 minute ago, The Dark Horse said:

He doesn't have to change his game for others. We need someone to blunt the attack. Vijay and Pujara have the most number of successful partnerships the past few years. Expecting him to change his batting style is not fair IMO.

No that will not work, because when opposition has attack like Proteas they are no easy runs and both him and Vijay with their lack of strike rotation take innings nowhere and invariable get a good ball or chase a wide like Pujara did and get out.

It is imperative that they and all other Indian batsmen learn to rotate strike , no one is asking them to score boundaries but roration of strike is so important both for them and also their partners.

This style of blocking will work in India as no team has 4 quality bowlers to keep the pressure all day.Once pacemen get tired these two will milk runs from other bowlers.

55 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Firstly this is test match cricket. Secondly when we play overseas Chet has a specific role considering our weakness in some countries (which i need not elaborate as it is well known in past and recent events too). Thirdly, he is in Rahul Dravid mould. It is because he makes bowlers bowl 500 balls and tires opponent bowlers (Like in ranchi versus OZ), even batters like Saha and jaddu score 100 and 50. Yesterday too Chet was responsible for the lower order contribution by making the ball old as well as Cape town gets easier to bat on as time progresses. Virat too has played a lot of 200 when Chet is there playing well. His grinding of opponent bowlers help those batsmen who come to bat after Chet. So if he tires them by batting slowly the likes of Virat and others can compensate by milking the fully tired bowlers later on. Please attribute some success to this man. imo he is pure gold. It is time fans have to respect such a rare player with all pure test match qualities. Surely we can afford one rock in a test team when all others in the batting lineup are strokeplayers. At least one of his kind is required, isn't it ? Now if management does not manages him well then we will lose hsi intrinsic qualities so well suited ot test. Do you think he cannot swivel the bat here and there like others. He can. Actually poking the bat is very siomple than controlling the bat close to the body and hitting the ball over the head is very simple than keeping it down all along the ground till it reaches boundary. Also it is more sensible in test matches. Rahul Dravid had SR of 42 in tests, whereas Chet has SR of 48. Even i liked Rahul Dravids batting in spite of him scoring lesser SR than Chet. I do not have problems of SR for batsmen coming as openers and one down. Their primary role is to see of the new ball for the middle order and when set they have to score a big hundred or a double. Chet and Rahul have played these role perfectly. I do not have any complaints with their SR. They are gem of players and rarest talents that we possess today or in fact rarest talents of such attributes in all cricketing countries. I rate him very highly. I do not think that he should increase his strike rate by even 0.1 runs than what it is now.Such doubt never crept in my mind. When i feel that we need to play attacking cricket in test to win it, it is better left to likes of Virat, even Ajinkya, Saha or Jaddu. Let his game be as it is. SR from No 3 is not at all important. And even if it important we have other 6 batters who are all playing in ODI and T20 format who are better given that responsibility.  If 10 batsman playing in ODI format cannot increase the SR while one (Chet) guards the fort with assurance of a soldier then what is Chets slightly better SR in that innings  going to help in a win.

He is the best one down batsman in world. Remember there was a time when there were plenty of world class one down batters (Sanga, Rahul, Kallis, Ponting, Younis Khan, Lara, Trott). Now the teams are struggling to find world class one down batters who can face the new ball as well as spinners with equal ease.  Aus have Usman Khwaja (not a good number 3), Pak have babar (not in class of Chet or previosu world class one downs), Wi (least said the better about the many No 3 they have tried). Only NZ has kane Williamson who is quality. England are trying like mad for No. 3 after Trott and they have still not found one. Saffers have Amla.

in short only Chet, Amla and Willaimson are there as compared to quality No 3 in previous decades. The point is such players are getting rare worldwide and we are lucky to have one such one down batsman. So no complaints, let him play as he is. I am glad with his style, temparament, technique, stamina for big innings, shot selection, code and conduct on and off the field and humility. Total class this guy is. Hope the think tank manages him wellr ather than asking to do unwanted things regarding SR.

1 minute ago, Straight Drive said:

Firstly this is test match cricket. Secondly when we play overseas Chet has a specific role considering our weakness in some countries (which i need not elaborate as it is well known in past and recent events too). Thirdly, he is in Rahul Dravid mould. It is because he makes bowlers bowl 500 balls and tires opponent bowlers (Like in ranchi versus OZ), even batters like Saha and jaddu score 100 and 50. Yesterday too Chet was responsible for the lower order contribution by making the ball old as well as Cape town gets easier to bat on as time progresses. Virat too has played a lot of 200 when Chet is there playing well. His grinding of opponent bowlers help those batsmen who come to bat after Chet. So if he tires them by batting slowly the likes of Virat and others can compensate by milking the fully tired bowlers later on. Please attribute some success to this man. imo he is pure gold. It is time fans have to respect such a rare player with all pure test match qualities. Surely we can afford one rock in a test team when all others in the batting lineup are strokeplayers. At least one of his kind is required, isn't it ? Now if management does not manages him well then we will lose hsi intrinsic qualities so well suited ot test. Do you think he cannot swivel the bat here and there like others. He can. Actually poking the bat is very siomple than controlling the bat close to the body and hitting the ball over the head is very simple than keeping it down all along the ground till it reaches boundary. Also it is more sensible in test matches. Rahul Dravid had SR of 42 in tests, whereas Chet has SR of 48. Even i liked Rahul Dravids batting in spite of him scoring lesser SR than Chet. I do not have problems of SR for batsmen coming as openers and one down. Their primary role is to see of the new ball for the middle order and when set they have to score a big hundred or a double. Chet and Rahul have played these role perfectly. I do not have any complaints with their SR. They are gem of players and rarest talents that we possess today or in fact rarest talents of such attributes in all cricketing countries. I rate him very highly. I do not think that he should increase his strike rate by even 0.1 runs than what it is now.Such doubt never crept in my mind. When i feel that we need to play attacking cricket in test to win it, it is better left to likes of Virat, even Ajinkya, Saha or Jaddu. Let his game be as it is. SR from No 3 is not at all important. And even if it important we have other 6 batters who are all playing in ODI and T20 format who are better given that responsibility.  If 10 batsman playing in ODI format cannot increase the SR while one (Chet) guards the fort with assurance of a soldier then what is Chets slightly better SR in that innings  going to help in a win.

He is the best one down batsman in world. Remember there was a time when there were plenty of world class one down batters (Sanga, Rahul, Kallis, Ponting, Younis Khan, Lara, Trott). Now the teams are struggling to find world class one down batters who can face the new ball as well as spinners with equal ease.  Aus have Usman Khwaja (not a good number 3), Pak have babar (not in class of Chet or previosu world class one downs), Wi (least said the better about the many No 3 they have tried). Only NZ has kane Williamson who is quality. England are trying like mad for No. 3 after Trott and they have still not found one. Saffers have Amla.

in short only Chet, Amla and Willaimson are there as compared to quality No 3 in previous decades. The point is such players are getting rare worldwide and we are lucky to have one such one down batsman. So no complaints, let him play as he is. I am glad with his style, temparament, technique, stamina for big innings, shot selection, code and conduct on and off the field and humility. Total class this guy is. Hope the think tank manages him wellr ather than asking to do unwanted things regarding SR.

che is not as much of an all-conditions batsman compared to kane and amla. but he is the best #3 we have at the moment, and it's ridiculous that commentators are dissing him.

41 minutes ago, Vijy said:

che is not as much of an all-conditions batsman compared to kane and amla. but he is the best #3 we have at the moment, and it's ridiculous that commentators are dissing him.

It is indeed ridiculous if especially commentators who have themselves played a lot of FC or probably some tests as well and know the game well and considering the age they are at now, they would have at least watched test cricket for 25+ years. 

1 hour ago, The Dark Horse said:

I am Not asking him to change his game fo others . I am asking him to change his approach for himself as will imo will then succeed more and score more runs !

end of day all i man sayjng is in India he scores quicker and does hit bad balls etc overseas seems much more defensive and doesn’t latch on to bad balls as much . I can assure you pujara knows this ans wants to be bit more positive and I think will see that this year .

just to clarify I am not blaming him for sam display nor agree with comms . Just saying for his own sake if was a little bit more positive I think would do better overseas 

1 hour ago, Shunya said:

I cannot believe how people here are asking for Pujara to increase his scoring rate. And on the other hand Rohit's innings of 11(59) is being considered as job well done. Wow, dhanya hai ICF ke experts.

Rohit is irrelevant here . He got different issues 

point is simply looking at pujara and giving opiinuon how I think could Ben more productive overseas . If that is seen as dissing him then that’s silly 

just to clarify I rate pujara . One of first picks for me . And don’t blame him at for any team failings 

On 06/01/2018 at 10:21 AM, Forever Indian said:

Is the Indian contingency of commentators?

No it was non Indian contingent . Only sunny is indian comm and he dont say thing .

mainly saffies . But they were also critically dissecting and finding and highlighting flaws in Indian players including kohli / Dhawan / Rohit . Refreshing actually then hearing our Indian paid up boot lickers 

comms made lots of valid points which Indian cricket comms never mention but we mention on icf 

28 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

I am Not asking him to change his game fo others . I am asking him to change his approach for himself as will imo will then succeed more and score more runs !

end of day all i man sayjng is in India he scores quicker and does hit bad balls etc overseas seems much more defensive and doesn’t latch on to bad balls as much . I can assure you pujara knows this ans wants to be bit more positive and I think will see that this year .

just to clarify I am not blaming him for sam display nor agree with comms . Just saying for his own sake if was a little bit more positive I think would do better overseas 

Alright man, all I'm saying is not all players have the same attitude. Dravid can play 50 balls without scoring a run and still not feel the pressure. Pujara is also such a player. These guys score more, the more the deliveries they face. It's an additional incentive overseas as they will shield the rest of the batting order.

1 hour ago, Straight Drive said:

It is indeed ridiculous if especially commentators who have themselves played a lot of FC or probably some tests as well and know the game well and considering the age they are at now, they would have at least watched test cricket for 25+ years. 

sanju manju has played test cricket, lot of FC, and watched test cricket for 40 yrs or so. and yet a lot of what he says is ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Vijy said:

sanju manju has played test cricket, lot of FC, and watched test cricket for 40 yrs or so. and yet a lot of what he says is ridiculous.

Manjrekars SR was below Dravid's and a lot below Chet.

Anyways I don't mind Manjrekars SR as well even though it was high 30's only.

The commies nowadays repeat one point and try to repeatedly enforce and justify their opinion as final. They then even bring it in analysis or columns. The next test and so on. 

These are the same commies who say test cricket is dying because lot of cricketers are opting for T20 and say test cricket culture should get stronger. But then when someone like Chet who fits as easily within test culture and actually is the true student as well as guardian of test culture, they crib about him. Double standards.

I think you don't necessarily need to bat aggressively,beside shot making is not exactly cup of tea as far as pujara is concerned,however strike rotation is something he can work on, infact all of them have to that, I noticed one thing that, I think it was during our 63rd over they were showing the score was 185/7 and India faced 267 dot balls that's 44.3 overs which is a huge number of dot balls and puts unnecessary pressure on rest of the line up imagine had it been 100 lesser dot balls not exactly 2's or 3's or boundaries but singles that's a difference of 100 runs which is huge and I have noticed this trend when we travel abroad that we let bowlers to dictate terms rather than making them bowl to us ,we don't try different things.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

Rohit is irrelevant here . He got different issues 

point is simply looking at pujara and giving opiinuon how I think could Ben more productive overseas . If that is seen as dissing him then that’s silly 

just to clarify I rate pujara . One of first picks for me . And don’t blame him at for any team failings 
Rohit issue is trigger movement something like Inzamam, he brings his front foot across, which gets him into a tangle and makes him an LBW candidate,with Kohli the Issue is he is not sure of his offstump and try to poke at delivery, since his stance is not side on he is not sure of which one to leave and nicks it to slip, rahane's nemesis is spin, one thing I have noticed and which can be worked by all of them is the use of crease, all the top order batters don't use depth of the crease and play outside the crease to nullify swing and seam, where as one should use the crease to nullify the angle, the bounce the seam giving themselves extra bit of time to handle the pace.

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Shunya said:

I cannot believe how people here are asking for Pujara to increase his scoring rate. And on the other hand Rohit's innings of 11(59) is being considered as job well done. Wow, dhanya hai ICF ke experts.

Who is patting Rohit's back?

Maniac doesn't count .....he is like a mother who sees a swan in the ugly duckling.:p: