Dale steyn wont bowl in this test again

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

Should be fit for Australia series I think to bring down Steve Smith’s average. Its not that he has hurt his shoulder whoch was a concern from last 1 year.

Yeah. I think SA will go with Phelukwayo from 2nd test. Regarding youngsters from SA, Lungi Ngidi is a good fast bowler(age 21) and WiAn Mulder may make their test debut soon.

7 minutes ago, Vicks2579 said:

Yeah. I think SA will go with Phelukwayo from 2nd test. Regarding youngsters from SA, Lungi Ngidi is a good fast bowler(age 21) and WiAn Mulder may make their test debut soon.

They are prospects but I don’t see them making debut any time soon. They won’t play them against India or Australia since Steyn might be back for Aus series. Against India most likely they will play Chris Morris or Phenlekwayo Since their batting also struggled a bit and they might go with an all rounder next test.

9 hours ago, NameGoesHere said:

It takes a very long time to make a credible Test bowler or batsman. It takes an even longer time- with lots of luck- to make a great Test bowler or batsman.

It will be very difficult to replace a bowler of Steyn's calibre.  More than difficult.

And as for the Indian replacements you've mentioned as examples, most of them are not even ready to be called Test batsmen or bowler yet, forget good ones.  Pandey, Kedar, Iyer, Nair (despite his triple) - none of them can rock up tomorrow and assure us that a test side is sealed.

We've tried for years to make Rohit Sharma a Test batsman capable of performing in SA/ENG/ Aus and yet here we are. 

Ditto for Ishant.

Ditto for any Test class batsman- wicketkeeper (apologies to Dhoni)

Ditto for Dhawan.

I could name more.

It's not that easy.

Of the 10-15 new names, young and not so young, floating around today in India, maybe (maybe) three will make it as even Test regulars.  And great Test players? Maybe none.

Heck even Kohli isn't a great Test player as of now.

That should give one an idea of how difficult it will be to replace Steyn in SA.

I kind of feel Rabada is already as good as Steyn in South African conditions, perhaps not as much in other countries. And I dont think Indian players had as much problem playing steyn as they had with rabada. Morkel jsut kept wasting his deliveries. I think he is related to Javagal Srinath somehow. 

Since Rabada is young, if the senior players try getting on his nerves, players like rohit and kohli, he will crack. 

14 hours ago, Vijy said:

I think kohli is quite far from being a great test player. As for young batsmen in India, a couple of them have started well - more so than some of the current lot at the same age. However, whether they will sustain it and grow further remains to be seen.

As for Steyn, a genuine ATG like him won't be easily replaced but Lungi Ngidi will be a good replacement. It will also help SA with the quota system. Lungi is not as good as Steyn or Rabada, but I see Rabada taking over Steyn's role while Lungi will serve as the second strike bowler.

if i have to pick today steyn or rabada or morkel..i will pick rabada first and morkel next possibly..steyn looked a lil oldish to me ...he did bowl genuine pace 140+ some times but was also in 130"s..steyn at full flow was 145 to 153k thats the steyn i was scared of ..exactly like shammi..even shammi is looking oldish and not upto the mark.

rabada looked scary yesterday 149k ...he managed to even get pandya , who was in his very best form yesterday and in the form pandya was in another 50 minutes and india would have scored 60 to 80 runs ...that wud have made africa scared of india ..rabada is definitely ready to take the main striker's mantle from steyn.

understand this fast bowling is not like batting , i l give u my own example...

i was a fast bowler from 19 to 26 years of age and then i got into my IT career building and then i again got into leather ball cricket as my company had cricket Nets every saturday and sunday, we used to go for nets and i realised that because my body weight has increased ,my bowling rhythm has gone and its tuf to get it back so i turned into a batsman and very soon i became the opening batsman and even till now when i am 45 yrs old i bat, recently i got spectacles and now i am not sure whether i will open or not.

bowling i did only till i was 25 .fast bowling is a crazy sport , one has to retire ideally at 31 or 32.

i will give you another example of Pankaj singh ..he was the main strike bowler of rajasthan and he got his debut at 36 , he was a bhuvi type bowler,swing n trundling but great line n length , he did not get the swing conditions in england where he debuted at 36 yrs of age , he tried his best with his experience and huge demon physique but he failed big.

fast bowling is not for old legs or heavy body...see steyn got a crazy issue, heels pain, even at 100 kg and 45 years and after 15 km walk , i dont get heel pain...indicates his body cant take it now..what i wanna say is if u have to play  a fast bowler play him between 23 to 31 else forget about him.

This is a sad yet massive news for India,India just couldn't get out if jail in the first innings because of saffie's restlessness!! There was no respite in the bowling ,one after another world class pacers coming in fresh  and having a go at our batsmen on a decent bowling pitch.

Now it'll be interesting to see if saf play morris or bavuma ,either way both of them won't have the same effect as Steyn