Everyone take a Chill Pill... We performed decently well.

No, India's loss in South Africa was not the expected result

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22177388/no-india-loss-south-africa-was-not-expected-result

Good Article from one of the best un-biased Cricket writers from India - Aakash Chopra!

It prompted me to look a little closer at this team and the two Tests played so far. Did India really go to South Africa with proven flat-track bullies and not batsmen equipped to succeed in those conditions? A look at the batting order tells us that as many as three - M Vijay, Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane - of the seven batsmen picked for this tour have solid overseas records. If we look at South Africa in isolation, Cheteshwar Pujara also makes the list - he made 153 in Johannesburg in 2013-14. KL Rahul's Test career is young but in that time he has scored centuries in Australia, West Indies and Sri Lanka (for whatever that is worth in today's times). There's enough in his numbers to assume that, if persisted with, he might have a successful Test career.

That leaves only two batsmen, Shikhar Dhawan and Rohit Sharma :hehe: , who are yet to prove their overseas credentials. Four with a decent overseas record, and a promising fifth: Kohli and Indian fans were justified in believing that this team was capable of competing in South Africa. And, in all fairness, India did compete.

For about 75% of the total duration of the first two Tests, India were as much in the game as South Africa were. India could have ended on the right side of the result in both games had they managed to seize the opportunities that presented themselves many times.

Edited by coffee_rules
19 hours ago, maniac said:

alone escaping a drubbing

point is inspite of atrocious catching and pathetic team selection, India were not drubbed agreed its 2-0 but there were ample points where the game was even and India had winnable positions.  Frankly the bowling was pretty good although it was a very standard show from them, well within what the bowlers can actually do and they had SA under the pump in their own conditions. And batting wise only Kohli and Pandya stood up, Vijay and Pujara failed inspite of starts and Bhuv/Ashwin batted well as well, too many flaws in top order and middle order so the result. 

16 hours ago, sensible-indian said:

We are basically consoling ourselves after losing a winnable series.

Our performance was awful.

I don't consider the performances of Bhuvi, Ashwin and the bowling attack awful, by any stretch.  Sure, they could have done better in T1-I1, but overall, its been a job well done by the bowlers.   And Pandya has exceeded expectations by any reasonable yardstick.   He's done all that you could ask from the role of a support bowler, and scored some vital runs to boot.   

41 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I don't consider the performances of Bhuvi, Ashwin and the bowling attack awful, by any stretch.  Sure, they could have done better in T1-I1, but overall, its been a job well done by the bowlers.   And Pandya has exceeded expectations by any reasonable yardstick.   He's done all that you could ask from the role of a support bowler, and scored some vital runs to boot.   

2 hours ago, kira said:

Our batting performance was awful sif but our bowling performance was awesome 

41 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Yeah was talking about our batting and catching.

13 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Yeah was talking about our batting and catching.

Yes, both has been disappointing.   The most frustrating aspect is that the South Africans are so beatable in this conditions, given the efforts of the bowlers.   Virat's merry-go-round selection philosophy doesn't help, but the batsmen have failed to seize the moment.  There's no hiding that.   

They probably know it well too.   If after these 2 tests, Virat gives Rohit further chances at the expense of others, then it would be really difficult to explain away his motives.  

Our catching is horrendous but I fear the worst is reserved for Eng tour. From what I have seen in Eng the ball keeps deviating even after taking the edge, humaare ladke seedhe gend pakad nahi paate wahaan kya karenge? Historically Poms have produced the best pure keepers and slip catchers and it is because of experience in the toughest arena for the WK-slip-gully arc. Our arc is full of elephant sized holes and if Kohli has any weird idea viz a viz Parthiv vs Saha, we will set new records in dropped catches, har innings me 10 chorenge. 

If it were up to me I will hold catching drills for one month prior to the Eng flight, no batting/bowling...only catching. Look at how well Pak prepared for their Eng tour in 2016, they even gobbled up everything in the slips (which is remarkable if you have any idea about their catching history) and played a fantastic series. Kya din aa gaye hai where we need to take professionalism lessons from PCB !!!!