Those who wanted Vijay/rahul over Dhawan - Time to eat a crow

Khota

Took the shine off the new ball, you think we would be in this position had Kohli walked in yesterday? Vijay was dreadful in Cape Town and the 1st innings here, this was a gem of a knock today. 

No it is not a gem of an innings at all.if this is his ceiling they might start looking for a different opener.
Just now, putrevus said:

No it is not a gem of an innings at all.if this is his ceiling they might start looking for a different opener.

In that case should we look for a different no.4 before going to England as well?! The opener has a job to do, this is exactly what Gavaskar was good at. This aint a patta where the likes of Dhawan can freely score. 

On this pitch 112 balls and giving company to Kohli is worth more than 50 runs. Parthiv streaked his way to 16. Ball was still new. 

He threw his wicket away last test after doing all the hard work too.just surviving is not enough for an opener, once set he needs to score also.
2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Disagree. This is not Rajkot pitch. He did score 2 centuries on such pitches. We all saw how batsmen like ABDV got out on this pitch. THere is always 2 or 3 balls with your name on it everywhere. So surviving is much harder than scoring quick 25 runs.  Umpires even had to look at the cracks.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

He threw his wicket away last test after doing all the hard work too.just surviving is not enough for an opener, once set he needs to score also.

the day u find openers who can even survive let me knw. 

U can only score if u survive 

4 minutes ago, putrevus said:

please go ahead look for one n let us knw. 

We watch domestic cricket so we knw what are the options 

How is it throwing his wicket away. He suddenly altered his length and bowled an outstanding inswinging yorker. He even touched the ball. That was just too good a ball if you juxtapose with the lengths he bowled at earlier.

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Agreed, but you take one step at a time. The guy came back from injury to play in the SL series and then now here. He is India's best opener at the moment.

He is vital if Kohli has to succeed in England. Expose no.4 onwards to the new ball and India's batting will crumble.

Disagree. This is not Rajkot pitch. He did score 2 centuries on such pitches. We all saw how batsmen like ABDV got out on this pitch. THere is always 2 or 3 balls with your name on it everywhere. So surviving is much harder than scoring quick 25 runs.  Umpires even had to look at the cracks.

There is a reason why this guy is averaging in low 40s , he doesn't convert his starts, when playing with just five batsmen you need to score runs when you get starts.just taking shine off the new ball is not enough,
Just now, shortbread said:

Agreed, but you take one step at a time. The guy came back from injury to play in the SL series and then now here. He is India's best opener at the moment.

He is vital if Kohli has to succeed in England. Expose no.4 onwards to the new ball and India's batting will crumble.

I very much doubt any opener in the world could have survived against this attack this long on this surface. Y day he left the balls on length and line impeccably. Let us just have to sit and appreciate his technique. He is definitely the best opener to play on difficult pitches.

There is a reason why this guy is averaging in low 40s , he doesn't convert his starts, when playing with just five batsmen you need to score runs when you get starts.just taking shine off the new ball is not enough,

That is a problem i am always concerned about. I would not hold that against him in this innings. If the batting is little easier like in the last test i would agree with you. On this pitch i have no qualms about his innings. He did the very best he could do. In the entire series only 2 batsmen have crossed 200 if i am right in 5 innings.

Edited by vvvslaxman

Sorry for me an opener once set should score big, Vijay too often loses his patience and throws his wicket away after getting the start.As an opener you are bound to get good balls where you just can't do anything like today.

The reason it happens to Vijay is he doesn't look to score at all.
Just now, putrevus said:

Sorry for me an opener once set should score big, Vijay too often loses his patience and throws his wicket away after getting the start.As an opener you are bound to get good balls where you just can't do anything like today.

The reason it happens to Vijay is he doesn't look to score at all.

He is coming on the back of 2 centuries. I think all 3 pitches had something about them. One was up and down. Two others are unplayable. They came in with zero practice. They didn't even have time to get through jet lag. This is one of the toughest series for batsmen from both sides. 

He is coming on the back of 2 centuries. I think all 3 pitches had something about them. One was up and down. Two others are unplayable. They came in with zero practice. They didn't even have time to get through jet lag. This is one of the toughest series for batsmen from both sides. 

Why is this an excuse for Vijay and not Dhawan.Dhawan is not the answer but Vijay is not the answer either he is 33 and slowed down a lot on field too. They need some one better.