flamy

flamy

11 hours ago, Mariyam said:

@flamy

Interesting line of thought.

How do you differentiate between self love and self indulgence/ self pity?

Doesn't self love begin wih one getting immersed in one's own problems and forgetting that others too may have similar issues. I've observed people tend to separate themselves from others and exaggerate the extent of their own sufferings.

It depends on what you call self. Most of human race call self as one thing. In spiritual world self is something else. For me it is my Ruh which is self. And when one loves his own Ruh, as OP says we can be our own friend, our own guide. We dont fear about petty worldly things in that state. It is lot easier said that done.

Others call self to their mind, body, possessions, positions etc like I am So and So. These things are so shallow that our mind indulges in 'em. Rest we already know. In spiritual world, everything else is immaterial and we are just a ruh. Nothing else.

Hope this what Flams saying.

2 minutes ago, dial_100 said:

It depends on what you call self. Most of human race call self as one thing. In spiritual world self is something else. For me it is my Ruh which is self. And when one loves his own Ruh, as OP says we can be our own friend, our own guide. We dont fear about petty worldly things in that state. It is lot easier said that done.

Others call self to their mind, body, possessions, positions etc like I am So and So. These things are so shallow that our mind indulges in 'em. Rest we already know. In spiritual world, everything else is immaterial and we are just a ruh. Nothing else.

Hope this what Flams saying.

Thanks for your perspective, dial! I hadn't heard of Ruh before, is it similar to Soul?

I consider the self to encompass the body, the mind, the personality, and the soul (for those who believe in it). But, really, my interest is more in keeping things practical than getting swept away by esoteric stuff. For me, magic is not real until I can feel it, touch it, and share it.

So, in that spirit (ha!), my main focus tends to be on how my relationships are, with myself, with my people, with my work, with my creativity etc.

I find that it is very easy to get into intellectual gymnastics with concepts when people get into them, which is why I like to keep it to just being loving. Love whatever is in your radar, be compassionate with it, and then the semantics of what the self is does not hold that much importance.

But, most people have a good sense of self, and that's why I refer to self-love.

9 minutes ago, dial_100 said:

own Ruh

i have always found sufis to be saviors of the world, being from islam if they can manage to get all of islam mystic as them then the world is saved.

does Sufism believe in something similar to yogic transmission meaning any form of present divine energy from an infinite source ?

Oh absolutely. I have read some stuff on Sufism. The islam should have only been Sufi Islam. But we all know the reality

Not just sufism but all the similar practices in the eastern culture talk about the same yogic transmission/divine energy. There are even many biblical references to it or Budhism is also similar. Entire Gita should only be read in that context only. Issue is all the scholars try to read it in a literal sense. Spirituality and scholars are poles apart. You can be one or the other. Too much importance is given to so called scholars in the modern world. 

52 minutes ago, flamy said:

Thanks for your perspective, dial! I hadn't heard of Ruh before, is it similar to Soul?

I consider the self to encompass the body, the mind, the personality, and the soul (for those who believe in it). But, really, my interest is more in keeping things practical than getting swept away by esoteric stuff. For me, magic is not real until I can feel it, touch it, and share it.

So, in that spirit (ha!), my main focus tends to be on how my relationships are, with myself, with my people, with my work, with my creativity etc.

I find that it is very easy to get into intellectual gymnastics with concepts when people get into them, which is why I like to keep it to just being loving. Love whatever is in your radar, be compassionate with it, and then the semantics of what the self is does not hold that much importance.

But, most people have a good sense of self, and that's why I refer to self-love.

Oops. My bad. I misunderstood then.

What I am talking about is totally empirical. So yes it is kinda little mystical for those who are away from it but once you get into it, it is becomes more real than anything we have experienced so far. The difference in the two, i would say is, in one, you still feel life is like wave and in the other, you are unaffected by waves and you get to see waves but your remain steady. It is hard to explain.

Well, yes soul, spirit, atma, ruh are very similar terms. I gotcha. The journey starts with integration of body, mind and soul. But eventually the former two drop off and what remains is soul. 

19 minutes ago, dial_100 said:

What I am talking about is totally empirical. So yes it is kinda little mystical for those who are away from it but once you get into it, it is becomes more real than anything we have experienced so far. The difference in the two, i would say is, in one, you still feel life is like wave and in the other, you are unaffected by waves and you get to see waves but your remain steady. It is hard to explain.

Well, yes soul, spirit, atma, ruh are very similar terms. I gotcha. The journey starts with integration of body, mind and soul. But eventually the former two drop off and what remains is soul. 

I gather you are speaking of the 'observer' versus the 'experiencer' ?

2 hours ago, dial_100 said:

Soul as well as 'Ruh' is very much different from atma/atman. Dharmic theories of Atman is very much different from the 'Religious' view of 'Soul' in biblical sense. One should NOT equate the two. Here's the basic difference.

https://rajivmalhotra.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/SanskritNonTranslatables.pdf

ATMAN IS NOT SOUL

In dharmic tradition, the true nature of self or Atman is sat-chit-ananda. The true nature of Atman can be realised with sadhana or adhyatma vidya. Atman is present in plants and animals. Hence nature is as sacred as the self. Atman reincarnates. Hence the body is cremated once atman has departed.

In Christianity or even Islam, all humans are born as sinners due to original sin by adam&eve. Hence the true self or Soul is sinful. Only through Jesus/Allah can the Soul attain salvation. Soul is NOT PRESENT in plants and animal. In Bible, GOD gave mankind dominion over plants and animals. Soul DOES NOT reincarnate. Hence in Christianity/Islam you get only one body that must be preserved till the 'end of time' for resurgence, just in case the soul comes back. Hence, they don't cremate , but bury. 

Hence Christians say 'Rest in Peace' when somebody dies. When hindus die, 'Rest in Peace' message doesn't make sense. We should hence say 'Om Shanti' or say 'let the atma attain sadgati' and merge with paramatma!

Edited by coffee_rules

Haven’t gone through all the posts in details so may hv missed something but I guess it is hard to understand your own self if you only love yourself as love is said to be blind 

Iirc, there is a story about Akbar asking Birbal to bring him the most good looking kid, and Birbal, considered to be a think tank, brought his own son (probably blinded by love)

Pharos were in self love mode too, which resulted in creating pyramids for themselves so they can probably continue to love themselves even after death :facepalm: 

BD cricketers are in self love mode too

Where is substance? How to acquire substance? 

Edited by zen