GM Praggnanandhaa becomes 2nd youngest GM in history!!!

FischerTal

On 6/27/2018 at 1:03 AM, Gollum said:

Having to calculate so many variations and exhibiting phenomenal levels of concentration/patience is damn tiring. One may read about Fischer, Karpov, Korchnoi and Kasparov, especially their accounts of World Championship matches and physical preparation....requires lots of endurance. It isn't unheard of to see players lose 10 kilos during the course of 1 super GM level tourney..immense stress on the body. For noobs like us a game of chess is no big deal. But at that level ufff, there's a reason Soviet Chess players often swept all national sports awards ahead of other Olympic winning athletes and soccer/basketball/ice hockey stars. Everything appears like a joke for ignorant people, I'd trust the word of experts over random internet warriors.

I'm not a chess aficionado but I have read about the amount of hardwork being put in by the teams of Carlsen, Anand before a tournament which is incredible & unlike other sport. Carlsen's team even had a threat of Russian hacking attempts as well.

1 hour ago, Turning_track said:

I'm not a chess aficionado but I have read about the amount of hardwork being put in by the teams of Carlsen, Anand before a tournament which is incredible & unlike other sport. Carlsen's team even had a threat of Russian hacking attempts as well.

That was more of a psychological mind game from the Norwegian camp tbh with Kasparov playing deliberate mischief, all the elite players except maybe Topalov (2005 San Luis, 2006 Toiletgate) have clean reputations. Kasparov apart from being Carlsen's mentor/ex-coach/well wisher never misses an opportunity to score points over Putin/KGB purely for political purposes....if you go through his tweets/lectures/media appearances/op-eds he is absolutely paranoid about Kremlin and he uses the silliest of reasons to have a go at them. Carlsen himself has frequently clarified that he doesn't suspect his opponents of using underhand tactics but ofc everyone must take necessary precautions when so much is at stake, even his rivals. 

Edited by Gollum

Nihal Sarin becomes India's 53rd GM at just 14 years of age :hatsoff:, also congrats to Erigaisi (GM) and Praggu's elder sis Vaishali (WGM). Remember Vishy was the 1st GM in 1988 !!!! Now the critical mass has been reached and we will produce more and more masters along the way. Indian talent is the envy of the world and in all opens we have 30% representation :laugh:.

LINK

Nihal vs Praggu WCC 2028 make it happen :cheer:

sarin_prag.jpg.6ea4e58da77da17c4c9896d5e0ae1382.jpg

@FischerTal

D Gukesh achieved the coveted feat on Tuesday at the age of 12 years, seven months and 17 days.

Tamil Nadu lad D Gukesh Tuesday became the second youngest Grand Master in the world and the youngest Indian to achieve the feat at 12 years, seven months and 17 days, erasing the mark set by his state-mate R Praggnanandhaa in June last year.

He achieved his third and final GM norm at the ongoing 17th Delhi International Open Chess tournament in Delhi after beating compatriot D K Sharma in the ninth round. Gukesh becomes India’s 59th Grand Master.

Ukraine’s Sergey Karjakin remains the youngest-ever GM, having achieved the feat at the age of 12 years and seven months in 2002.

In December last, the Chennai boy had narrowly missed on the record when he lost his third round game against GM Daniele Vocaturo of Italy at the Sunway Sitges International in Barcelona.

Gukesh, however, recovered and he put that setback behind him to beat and has now beaten the record held by his friend Praggnanandhaa, who was 12 years and 10 months old when he became Indias youngest GM.

The youngster, who idolises the legendary Bobby Fischer and India’s own Vishy Anand, said after achieving the feat that he was very happy and excited.

“I am very happy and excited to have become a Grand Master. I am delighted to have won the third (GM) norm and the title. I would like to play Anand sir sometime,” he said over phone.

Before the game I didn’t feel any pressure, only during the game. I just forgot about the pressure and focused on my game, he added.

He said he was a little disappointed to have missed out on breaking Karjakin’s record in Barcelona but felt relieved after a while and focussed on his game.

“I was a little disappointed not to break the record in Spain (Barcelona) but chose to focus on the way forward. I also missed out on achieving the record in Mumbai during the Mumbai International Chess tournament due to a technical issue,” he added.

The son of Rajinikanth and Padma, both doctors, the lad picked up the game playing with his parents at home and seeing his interest was enrolled in an academy in the locality.

Gukesh said he did not feel any pressure in the lead-up to the tournament adding there was some pressure when he played in Barcelona with the record on the line.

“I felt some pressure while playing in Barcelona as there was a possibility of my breaking the record. But once I missed the chance the pressure was gone. Now, I am relaxed,” he added.

After starting out by playing at home with his parents, he was enrolled in a summer camp and was drawn to the game under the guidance of M S Bhaskar and then a few others, including Vishnu Prasanna.

At the age of seven I joined a summer camp in my school. MS Bhaskar, was my coach there, spotted my talent and encouraged me,” Gukesh said of his early days in chess.

He is presently coached by Grand Master Vishnu Prasad.

A seventh standard student of Velammal Vidyalaya, he said his school had supported him a lot whenever he had to miss classes to play in tournaments.

Gukesh, with a FIDE rating of 2497, said his aim is now to keep improving his game and achieve the Super GM title.

“Now that I have become a GM I can play bigger tournaments and will get invitations to challenging events.

I want to improve my game and also achieve Super GM title,” he added.

The Chennai lad, who trains six to seven hours a day, said he likes to watch Tamil comedy scenes to relax.

Gukesh had secured his first GM norm during the Bangkok Open in 2018 when he finished 27th in a strong field.

His biggest moment came when he won the U-12 World Cadets Championship with a score of 10 out of 11.

He continued his great run by securing the top spot and winning the GM norm round-robin tournament in Serbia.

Noted chess coach R B Ramesh, who trains Praggnanandhaa, congratulated Gukesh on his achievement.

“So many norms at Delhi open! Congratulations to Gukesh for becoming second youngest GM in the world!,” he wrote on his Facebook page.

LINK

Arjun Erigaisi became GM a month back at the age of 14. Now we have 60 GMs in total. We are producing GMs and chess prodigies at a rate never seen before in history, except maybe USSR of the 70s but even they never had so many child prodigies. Staggering achievement, so proud to see Indians setting the world stage on fire. Enough of cricket, there is so much talent and greatness in other sports and games :isalute:. And boy is Chennai the next Moscow of the chess world or what? 

52 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Arjun Erigaisi became GM a month back at the age of 14. Now we have 60 GMs in total. We are producing GMs and chess prodigies at a rate never seen before in history, except maybe USSR of the 70s but even they never had so many child prodigies. Staggering achievement, so proud to see Indians setting the world stage on fire. Enough of cricket, there is so much talent and greatness in other sports and games :isalute:. And boy is Chennai the next Moscow of the chess world or what? 

it’s all genetics :csk:

Wonder how Gukesh flew under the radar for so long? Praggu is making headlines in chess circles, even playing Wijk Aan Zee Challengers at present, in the same room as 3 other legendary world champions. I hadn't heard about Gukesh till a couple of weeks back LOL.

About time we host more chess tournaments in the country, need to give exposure to all our youth stars, in European and Russian circuits they have a limited quota for invitations to Indian and Chinese players. India based sponsors and corporate houses need to step up their game now. These lodus sponsor and host tourneys in Spain and Netherlands sidelining our boys but India mein host karne mein khujli hoti hai in logon ko. Then they boast in summits and conferences about how they are helping sports in the country....make these SOBs accountable. It is embarrassing to see some of these small European nations host big chess events while we don't have a single marquee event. 

Edited by Gollum

2 hours ago, velu said:

it’s all genetics :csk:

It's due to bloody hard work, single minded devotion, excellent coaching and blooming chess culture in the state, talent is there everywhere. When you have so many examples in front of you, automatically pushes the next kid to reach that level. Also because of the amazing depth the Chennai club kids will get international class exposure in the city itself. Once upon a time Bengal/Calcutta was the hub of chess in India, around the 80s we lost the edge (in almost every sphere of life :((), still decent though but a TN Chennai team (like in Olympiad) at full strength can match the likes of full strength Russia, USA, China, Ukraine and beat heavyweights like Poland, Armenia, Norway, France, Germany, Israel, Hungary etc....seriously praiseworthy stuff.  And when it comes to junior ranks Chennai team will give rest of the world a tough fight, forget individual countries. Good for India, now hopefully other chess centres like Pune, Kolkata, Hyderabad step up their games and India becomes the sole superpower. Hope by 2030 we are in a position to follow multiple sports/games and derive success in the international level. 

Magnus Carlsen interview: Fearless young players will make India the strongest chess country in the world

It’s no secret that you’ve single-handedly popularised chess in Norway. Do you see any similarity between how you have inspired your countrymen to what Viswanathan Anand has done in India?

I think there are similarities for sure. I just wish that my success would lead to more of what you have in India – with all of this amazing young talent. We still have a long way to go there. But I am excited about the enthusiasm for chess in Norway and I am also very happy to see how great the Indians are doing.

About that, apart from Anand, you have also played some other Indian players like Vidit, Nihal, etc. What do you think of the potential this new wave of young Indian players holds?

I’ve said already a few years ago but India is going to be the strongest chess country in the world and I see no reason to go back on that. There are just so many fearless young players. It just remains to be seen who will take the step up to the very highest level. But yeah, there is no doubt that India will have many, many top players in – at the very least – top ten, in a few years.

Many Indians fans considered Pentala Harikrishna’s play similar to yours, especially when he won four straight games from rounds 3-7. Did you get a chance to see any of his games?

Yeah, he definitely played brilliantly; the way he converted small advantages was extremely impressive. I can see the similarities there. He is somebody who has become a lot better in the last few years. We’ll see where he will be.

Anytime we can see you play in India?

Yes, I will be playing in Kolkata, at the Grand Chess Tour in November. So yeah, I will definitely play in India this year.

LINK

Even the world champ agrees, the talent we see at the junior levels is something even USSR at the peak of its powers never managed.

Even more scary when you see the U-16 players, what a journey it has been. Every 2nd week we have a new GM.

BMKJ :isalute:

Every journey starts with a single step, in 1987 we were behind Bangladesh !!!

Image result for anand tal kasparov

No. Player Country Age Birth year
1. Sergey Karjakin 23px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png Ukraine 12 years, 7 months, 0 days 1990
2. Gukesh D 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India 12 years, 7 months, 17 days 2006
3. Javokhir Sindarov 23px-Flag_of_Uzbekistan.svg.png Uzbekistan 12 years, 10 months, 5 days 2005
4. Praggnanandhaa Rameshbabu 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India 12 years, 10 months, 13 days 2005
5. Nodirbek Abdusattorov 23px-Flag_of_Uzbekistan.svg.png Uzbekistan 13 years, 1 month, 11 days 2004
6. Parimarjan Negi 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India 13 years, 4 months, 22 days 1993
7. Magnus Carlsen 21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png Norway 13 years, 4 months, 27 days 1990
8. Wei Yi 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China 13 years, 8 months, 23 days[2] 1999
9. Bu Xiangzhi 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ China 13 years, 10 months, 13 days 1985
10. Samuel Sevian 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 13 years, 10 months, 27 days[3] 2000
11. Richárd Rapport 23px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png Hungary 13 years, 11 months, 6 days[4] 1996
12. Teimour Radjabov 23px-Flag_of_Azerbaijan.svg.png Azerbaijan 14 years, 0 months, 14 days 1987
13. Ruslan Ponomariov 23px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png Ukraine 14 years, 0 months, 17 days 1983
14. Nihal Sarin 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India 14 years, 1 month, 1 day 2004
15. Awonder Liang 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States 14 years, 1 month, 20 days[5][6] 2003
Edited by Gollum

Do keep an eye on Divya Deshmukh, she has been squashing some highly rated male GMs in opens recently. Sadly our female talent isn't that good, especially the depth. But little Divya is already our no. 3 only behind Humpy and Harika, after almost 10 years we are seeing the emergence of a female player who can be elite level. I pray that she and Harika play the Women's World Championship Final in a few years time. It is absolutely vital she doesn't lose focus because she has greatness written all over her and there is a huge gap after her in our squad. 

How good she is, well she would be the best player (including male) in at least 110 countries and at the age of 11 she had a higher rating than any Pak! chess player in their independent history :p:.

Image result for divya deshmukh

Edited by Gollum

Standard Top 100 Girls May 2019  

Rank Name Title Country Rating Games B-Year
 1  Abdumalik, Zhansaya  m  KAZ  2464  9  2000
 2  Shuvalova, Polina  wm  RUS  2439  11  2001
 3  Zhu, Jiner  wm  CHN  2439  4  2002
 4  Tsolakidou, Stavroula  m  GRE  2438  11  2000
 5  Mammadzada, Gunay  m  AZE  2436  11  2000
 6  Salimova, Nurgyul  f  BUL  2416  11  2003
 7  Divya Deshmukh  wm  IND  2414  18  2005
 8  Tokhirjonova, Gulrukhbegim  wg  UZB  2414  18  1999
 9  Nomin-Erdene, Davaademberel  m  MGL  2399  21  2000
 10  Badelka, Olga  wm  BLR  2383  11  2002
 11  Assaubayeva, Bibisara  f  KAZ  2381  18  2004
 12  Balajayeva, Khanim  wm  AZE  2373  11  2001
 13  Munkhzul, Turmunkh  wf  MGL  2371  9  2002
 14  Yu, Jennifer  f  USA  2369  11  2002
 15  Narva, Mai  wm  EST  2358  11  1999
 16  Marjanovic, Annamaria  wg  HUN  2343  7  2001
 17  Garcia Martin, Marta  f  ESP  2335  19  2000
 18  Wang, Annie  f  USA  2334  11  2002
 19  Mammadova, Narmin  wm  AZE  2332  10  1999
 20  Solozhenkina, Elizaveta  wm  RUS  2329  11  2003

Youngest in that list :hatsoff:.

Indian crop strongest in the world, best ever from one country: Kramnik

Six youngsters to have a training session with the former World champion

In the chess world, India’s teen talent has been making waves. The current crop, led by R. Praggnanandhaa, is clearly the most promising bunch seen in a long time. And what more, the endorsement of this fact has come from none other than former World champion Vladimir Kramnik.

“I think the current Indian chess crop is the strongest generation in the world now, maybe the strongest ever in one country.” This observation from the now-retired Russian wizard only reinforces the growing belief in the global chess fraternity.

Impressed by available Indian talent, Kramnik agreed to hold a training session for six youngsters. The group includes Grandmasters, Praggnanandhaa (born in 2005) D. Gukesh (2006), P. Iniyan (2002), Prithu Gupta (2004) and International Masters Ranuak Sadhwani (2005) and Leon Mendonca (2006). They are training at Chens Sur Leman, France, close to Geneva, where Kramnik lives.

Intially, GMs Nihal Sarin and Arjun Ergaisi were part of the six-player list. However, Nihal pulled out due to prior commitments and Arjun had to undergo an knee-surgery following an accident.

Sharing the details of the Kramnik-Microsense Chess India Program, scheduled from August 14 to 25, Kramnik said, “The idea of training the young talented Indian kids came during my conversation with Frederic Friedel, my good friend from ChessBase. One of the young Indian talents was at Frederic’s home and I shared my high opinion about Indian youngsters. India’s got some really very talented kids with a potential of being top players, maybe even World Champions in the future.

Training sessions

“I expressed this opinion and Frederic came up with this idea that maybe I can hold a training session and share my experience with them. Subsequently, Sagar Shah from ChessBase India came into the picture and managed to put all the logistics together in place. I appreciate the selfless gesture of S. Kailasanathan for making this happen. This is an extremely important service for Indian chess, without expecting anything in return.”

Talking about the blue-print of the camp, Kramnik said, “In the first session I would like to get to know the players personally, to talk to them, to answer the questions that they have on their mind. We will be touching upon all the aspects of the game including opening, middle-game and the endgame. I am going to prepare very seriously for the camp. I will give my insights of how I prepare psychologically and professionally for chess tournaments and I would share with them my views on many issues of professional chess.

“I will also be sharing secrets which only top players are aware of because of their experience of playing chess at the highest level. I will also prepare some specific lectures for the camp and allow the kids to play with each other and then later analyse these games in detail.

“I am pretty sure that this camp will be very useful for the young talents who will participate. If everyone would be happy after the camp — the sponsors, the kids and me, then we will continue doing more such sessions.

“I am now retired from chess and not playing competitively anymore. It means a lot to me that I can share my knowledge with the most promising juniors who can achieve something big in the future,” concluded Kramnik.

CB
TH

82315.jpeg
kramnik09-training-camp.jpgkramnik14-training-camp.jpg
kramnik10-training-camp.jpgkramnik11-training-camp.jpg

A blue storm is coming :cheer:landfall by 2030, something the world has never seen before @FischerTal
Thrilled and proud to see such high words of praise, legendary GM Vladimir Kramnik joins fellow world champs (only 6 living !!!) Kasparov, Anand, Carlsen in his assessment...and he is a Soviet chess school product !!!!! If Kramnik and Garry are rating us over USSR of old, there has to be something. 

So done with cricket, jokers led by Rat/Bewda/MSK will soon finish the interest of most of the serious cricket fans. But heroes will emerge in other disciplines, led by people who actually care about the country and aren't sold out. We will show the signs in 2020 Tokyo (Tokyo Olympics 2020: Sports analytical company Gracenote predicts India to win 14 medals – 1 gold, 5 silver and 8 bronze) and soon other sports will have their glorious moments. Time to stop caring about these Indian cricket losers who can't win **** in a minor sport played by handful of nations.....while fellow countrymen and women are accomplishing greater feats in much more competitive endeavors. 
Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

minor sport :giggle:

Big only in SC which is historically the worst sporting region on the planet....hell even in Afg it is behind football Almost a dead sport in SENAW, not much to talk about elsewhere. A sport run by South Asians, otherwise would be long dead. Yeah cricket is a minor sport, even more minor than rugby, badminton. Indian cricket has no outstanding achievement to talk about, even with limited competition these prima donnas have been failures for most part. Rkt bhai, cricket choro and back other sports. Whatever little was left to celebrate, Bewda-Rat have finished that also.

Edited by Gollum