Did broadcasters influence team selections in Test series against SA and England?

Lannister

Metro kids and boys are totally into EPL etc.. it's kind of cheap to even know someone like Kedar Jadav or Rayudu for them. 

Not yet at least in Kolkata...cricket still has a sizeable fanbase and viewership in my friend circle, especially IPL but we are kids born when cricket was in its peak .
Many of my friends has already left following cricket and is more into other sports

Also, cricket circa Sourav Ganguly has kinda upstaged football now that Cricket coaching classes are more easily available.

However, it is strictly the middle class/lower middle class/small towns that is more invested in cricket and I personally believe Cricket has more female fans because of its outreach.

However, in upper middle and upper classes, it is cringe worthy to follow cricket - because it's too mainstream for them.

Even the marketing teams are more targeting the Hindi Small town belt for cricketing adverts.
Only reason Football is not growing more because of Government support to BCCI -the moment it will be more profitable for the government to infiltrate FIFA, cricket will die.

Sent from my CPH1609 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, SK_IH said:

Star has a point, Virat played those useless bilaterals with Lanka and Windies but got rested for this.He should instead give a miss to these redundant bilaterals.

Yup. Bilaterals are the best time to give rest to tired players. But the BCCI and the players probably see them as opportunities to set new records against weaker opposition.

4 hours ago, Sachinism said:

You're right. BCCI messed up by giving them those rights.

Though Star really needs to think longterm. They could have Virat for the Asia Cup, but if that causes him to burnout or get injured, they don't have Virat for the next few tours. - So BCCI is right to protect Virat, or any player, like this.

BCCI can give star a discount to make up for Kohli's absence. 

57 minutes ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Not yet at least in Kolkata...cricket still has a sizeable fanbase and viewership in my friend circle, especially IPL but we are kids born when cricket was in its peak .
Many of my friends has already left following cricket and is more into other sports

Also, cricket circa Sourav Ganguly has kinda upstaged football now that Cricket coaching classes are more easily available.

However, it is strictly the middle class/lower middle class/small towns that is more invested in cricket and I personally believe Cricket has more female fans because of its outreach.

However, in upper middle and upper classes, it is cringe worthy to follow cricket - because it's too mainstream for them.

Even the marketing teams are more targeting the Hindi Small town belt for cricketing adverts.
Only reason Football is not growing more because of Government support to BCCI -the moment it will be more profitable for the government to infiltrate FIFA, cricket will die.

A National Team has to be successful for a Sport to become the most popular Sport in the country. It's true that there are a few  hippies who prefer to associate thenselves with Football than the more mainstream Cricket,  however for a team ( Indian Football Team)  that plays on par with standard of Myanmar it will be a tough task to dethrone Cricket. 

Edited by rageaddict
4 hours ago, UrmiSinhaRay said:

Even Virat is much less of a star than a Peak Dhoni or Sachin or Fab 5.
Likh ke Rakh do, none of the next generations are going to be big enough stars

Many of my friends have become on and off fans because lack of quality.I mean earlier we used to look forward to watch Veeru,Dravid, Sachin,Laxman bat but now there is only Virat and Rahul to an extent.

Look at the kind of players rehashed DK,Rayudu etc,just a big turn off.

A National Team has to be successful for a Sport to become the most popular Sport in the country. It's true that there are a few  hippies who prefer to associate thenselves with Football than the more mainstream Cricket,  however for a team ( Indian Football Team)  that plays on par with standard of Myanmar it will be a tough task to dethrone Cricket. 

Lol I agree with you to some extent but right now , the gap between Cricket and football is narrowing.

It just needs a little bit promotion and investment to make football big.

One big factor about cricket is that internationally, the game has little relevance and India alone has the ability to steamroll other teams
All the other teams on international level barring Australia to some extent have regressed.

The new batch bar Kohli hardly has emotional and mass connect on the level Sachin and Co had.
Even Kohli is not as big as Sachin TBF.
He only got big because People needed a new star to fill their vacuum + Bollywood stars of the same generation were not big back then.

Many people are realising Indian Male cricketers are much less hardworking and more delusional+entitled than other athletes
They're basically the Entitled Upper Caste Royalty of Indian Sports

These people find it cool to hate on cricket-and BCCI is in fact fanning these feelings by allegedly paying broadcasters to stop broadcasting other sports - especially football.
Having *ing 11 channels for cricket and zilch for football has actually raised a new cabal of people who blame cricket for football
I know this cabal is a minority, but you reap what you sow.
Offering choice actually does better than forcing stuff down people's throat.

More and more people are getting the idea that cricket is not relevant internationally and does nothing in terms of improving India's status worldwide.
That's one huge insecurity to deal with - given that Indians are elitist desperate social climbers.
Also, Indian domestic cricket viewership is virtually zero.
Nobody watches Ranji Trophies - and even A level games unless they're jobless enough..
Even In small towns, stadium attendance struggle to cross 100.
That's weird when you consider the fact That cricket is supposed to be a religion in this country.

In Kolkata, more people turn up for a para football match than A Ranji/VH/SMA game.

And finally, in the days of closed perspectives and limited access to outside world, cricket was an outlet for the repressed Indians to express their nationalism and patriotism.

Our Government was a bunch of nincompoops who ensured that India as a country stays at the bottom rung on the list of 3rd world country
We were a bunch of insecure, depressed people -the arms of the army were tied too, so we kinda gave the duty to the cricketers to beat the hell out of Pakistanis.
More than a sport, cricket was a symbol of our fledgling dreams to break from the barriers of society and an expression of our depression

However , post Modi came -Hindutva nationalism and army praising has taken over as the new Outlet to express nationalism and patriotism.

Also, cricket is a personality cult and people are more attached to certain players than anything.. And the new army of Tattooed, streaked hair cricketers with fancy beards with 2 rs Bollywood GF are definitely not gonna capture the imagination of public like the old gen
Even Kohli is getting hated.

It is right now too widespread in small towns to be extinct - but Cricket is losing its appeal in urban areas

TBH, its us ICFers who want youngsters in the side and vouch for a young team. But majority be it social media or ex cricketers or general cricket watching public, they are still in awe/love with the thr oldies, Dhoni is still a big draw, people on twitter and youtube wants Rohit back in test matches, many even think Yuvi deserves another chance since both Yuvi and Dhoni are same age some even want Gambhir back in test side after Dhawan flopped in England lol ... as long as we have star worshippers the likes of has beens Dhoni, Dhawan etc will keep playing.