Ranji trophy 2018-19

4 minutes ago, gakgupta said:

He not knocking the door... He is breaking it open .... selectors will not have an option but to select him....

One of the Australian veteran (May be Ian) rated him higher than Shaw during the U19 world cup...

even simon doull in commentary said " ppl were talking n hyping shaw but he is not even a patch of shubhman gill" 

Once the Wc is over their wud be many Zimb, WI. bang, SL tour which shudnt be wasted on TTFs .......get these guys in 

Some good perfomances from india players knocking on door

Panchal 141.  Watch this guy bat v spinners balls goes in stands agarwal style

Krunal Pandya  160 and 104

Gill 69 not out

Ricky Bhui 129, this guy smacks it after wc should be in squad for that number 5/6 power hitter

Bharat 178 should be back up keeper to Pant in test.  Great glove work

Reddy 57

Saurabh Kumar left arm spinner 14 wickets v Haryana, top wicket taker in ranji

Warrier 5 wickets v Punjab.  2nd innings no wickets byt good econmoy

The 6 cricketers who have looked really special to me  from the last 2 U19 World Cups in 2016 and 2018 are

Gill

Shaw 

Pant

Mavi

Avesh

Nagarkoti

Pant  doing really well as a test player.

Shaw is in our test team after spectacular FC and India-A performances.

Gill is in our A-team and performing wonderfully in domestic FC.

Really good.

But the 3 quicks are languishing behind. They have either not received the same push from the National selectors / State selectors or are injured.

Nagarkoti had a dream start to his List-A career in early 2018 ... but got injured after.  Bad luck.

Mavi did really well in his first 4 FC games.  Picked   15 wickets @  an average of 23.   But went off to play the Emerging Nations tournament and is not playing FC anymore after that.  He maybe injured though.

Allowing to gather lots of FC experience should be the priority of the selectors for all these talented young kids.  This is how they develop their basic game. No point missing FC for limited over games, which are anyway much more frequently available for playing.

Avesh Khan drifted for 2 years after his fantastic U19 WC.  Did not get to play sufficient FC. Now, this is sad.  This year  he is having a fantastic FC season and should be selected for India-A against England Lions, for the Unofficial test matches.

I hope the national selectors and state selectors focus on the development of Mavi, Avesh and Nagarkoti too, in the same way they have done for Shaw and Gill.

Edited by express bowling
19 minutes ago, express bowling said:

The 5 cricketers who have looked really special to me  from the last 2 U19 World Cups in 2016 and 2018 are

Gill

Shaw 

Mavi

Avesh

Nagarkoti

Shaw is in our test team after spectacular FC and India-A performances.

Gill is in our A-team and performing wonderfully in domestic FC.

Really good.

But the 3 quicks are languishing behind. They have either not received the same push from the National selectors / State selectors or are injured.

Nagarkoti had a dream start to his List-A career in early 2018 ... but got injured after.  Bad luck.

Mavi did really well in his first 4 FC games.  Picked   15 wickets @  an average of 23.   But went off to play the Emerging Nations tournament and is not playing FC anymore after that.  He maybe injured though.

Allowing to gather lots of FC experience should be the priority of the selectors for all these talented young kids.  This is how they develop their basic game. No point missing FC for limited over games, which are anyway much more frequently available for playing.

Avesh Khan drifted for 2 years after his fantastic U19 WC.  Did not get to play sufficient FC. Now, this is sad.  This year  he is having a fantastic FC season and should be selected for India-A against England Lions, for the Unofficial test matches.

I hope the national selectors and state selectors focus on the development of Mavi, Avesh and Nagarkoti too, in the same way they have done for Shaw and Gill.

Right . In fact  for those who are considered as Test prospects , 4 day matches are the best barometer.

Apart from wicket taking ability , most important thing is the stamina to bowl with the same intensity in all the 3 sessions. 

And almost most of them are not capable of doing that as of now . 

Neutral People/ NZ supporters  who watched Siraj in recent A test matches opine he lacks stamina though talented  and start

trundling in later half of the day.

I do not think even Avesh, Aniket , Ankit  have reached that stage to become completely test match ready. 

The foremost priority for them now should be to do strenth conditioning and enhance stamina . 

Currently the most lion hearted pacer in world cricket is Niel wagner , who even in 3 rd session bowls with great intensity and bounces out batsmen . His secret of stamina is his coaching stint with an athletic coach. He swears by him.  

Its high time these pacers either on their own look for such coaching stint or BCCI help them out . 

Another alternative would be to include atleast 2 of these prospects in Test 16 team and make them work with Senior team

physio & Basu on a rotational basis for a year. This will also help them as they will be practising with world class players and are in Test match environment.

I am pretty sure Virat will not want his pacers huffing & puffing by 3rd session and hence i do not see anyone replacing

Bhumra, Ishant & Shami atleast for a year if they fit. 

However T20 , 50 over prospects should be getting chances in senior team soon.  

19 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Right . In fact  for those who are considered as Test prospects , 4 day matches are the best barometer.

Apart from wicket taking ability , most important thing is the stamina to bowl with the same intensity in all the 3 sessions. 

Neutral People/ NZ supporters  who watched Siraj in recent A test matches opine he lacks stamina though talented  and start

I do not think even Avesh, Aniket , Ankit  have reached that stage to become completely test match ready. 

The foremost priority for them now should be to do strenth conditioning and enhance stamina . 

Currently the most lion hearted pacer in world cricket is Niel wagner , who even in 3 rd session bowls with great intensity and bounces out batsmen . His secret of stamina is his coaching stint with an athletic coach. He swears by him.  

Its high time these pacers either on their own look for such coaching stint or BCCI help them out . 

Another alternative would be to include atleast 2 of these prospects in Test 16 team and make them work with Senior team

physio & Basu on a rotational basis for a year. This will also help them as they will be practising with world class players and are in Test match environment.

I am pretty sure Virat will not want his pacers huffing & puffing by 3rd session and hence i do not see anyone replacing

However T20 , 50 over prospects should be getting chances in senior team soon.  

I do see a marked improvement this year ,talented juniors getting to play in Ranji compared till last year. If some of them are not playing it is mostly due to injury.  

For Rajastan - Nathu & R. Chahar are playing.

Bengal -   Porel 

MP -   Avesh 

Services -  Harsh Tyagi

Gujrat  - Siddharth Desai.

Delhi - Anu Rawat .

Karnataka - P Krishna , More , Padikkal 

UP -  Ankit , Mavi  

J & K  -  Rasik Dar

Punjab  - Gill , Anmolpreet, Markhande  

Its getting better .     

Edited by prudent_kreeda
1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

So many younger batsmen doing well but we will have a middle order of 33-38 year grandpas in WC - Rayudu, DK, Jadhav and Dhoni. In fact with Rohit, Shikhar and Kohli, all being 30+, our top 7 will have no younger players. What a bloody shame.

We have to shut out our thoughts in this regard atleast for next 6 months . Helpless , as this will not change atleast till then. 

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

So many on this forum berated Krunal Pandya for not being good enough for FC cricket. He comes back after the A tour to NZ and scores 160, 104 and picks 6/59. Scored almost 60% of his team’s runs.

He has smarts more than Hardik and more level headed . Won't be surprised if he enhances his ability even if less talented than Hardik. 

If he improves could be a very good addition in shorter formats . 

2 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Agree.

Siraj trundled in his first spells too.  And loses his accuracy completely,  about half the time he bowls.   He needs sessions at the NCA for strength and conditioning training.  And work with a coach regarding his accuracy.

Probably.  

Agree strongly.

Yes

physio S Basu on a rotational basis for a year.

Shankar Basu is a gem.

This will also help them as they will be practising with world class players and are in Test match environment.

Our next test match is after 6 months.  I am in favour of getting Avesh Khan ready for the enforcer pacer's role in this time with special attention.  And Rajpoot too for the steady pacer's role.

We have to be prepared for injuries to our top 3 pacers.   None of Umesh, Bhuvi, Siraj or Shardul can be the enforcer pacer if Bumrah is unavailable.

I do see a marked improvement this year ,talented juniors getting to play in Ranji compared till last year. If some of them are not playing it is mostly due to injury.  

For Rajastan - Nathu & R. Chahar are playing.

Bengal -   Porel 

MP -   Avesh 

Services -  Harsh Tyagi

Gujrat  - Siddharth Desai.

Delhi - Anu Rawat .

Karnataka - P Krishna , More , Padikkal 

UP -  Ankit , Mavi  

J & K  -  Rasik Dar

Punjab  - Gill , Anmolpreet, Markhande  

Its getting better .     

Nice list and observation. 

But Prasidh Krishna is missing most of the matches and even Porel was dropped for Mukesh before his freak injury.

I believe there is a test match against Zimbabwe in March and all of the Ranji performers should get a go. 

Siraj averages less than 21. In an ideal world, he should open the bowling with Bumrah in tests. Mavi & Avesh average around 22 (in less no. of matches though). I highly doubt if Ishant and Shami can come into Ranji and average 21-22. 

I would go for a test side as below for Zimbabwe:

Shaw

Mayank

Pujara (Capt)

Gill

Vihari

Pant

Pandya

Jadeja

Kuldeep

Mavi/Avesh/Rajpoot

Siraj

6 minutes ago, Samcric said:

I believe there is a test match against Zimbabwe in March and all of the Ranji performers should get a go. 

Siraj averages less than 21. In an ideal world, he should open the bowling with Bumrah in tests. Mavi & Avesh average around 22 (in less no. of matches though). I highly doubt if Ishant and Shami can come into Ranji and average 21-22. 

Shaw

Mayank

Pujara (Capt)

Gill

Vihari

Pant

Pandya

Jadeja

Kuldeep

Mavi/Avesh/Rajpoot

Siraj

apat from Siraj , Saini (but dull this year) , Ankit could be fronrunners  as they have 2-3 full season experience .   

Edited by prudent_kreeda
4 minutes ago, Samcric said:

Shaw

Mayank

Pujara (Capt)

Gill

Vihari

Pant

Pandya

Jadeja

Kuldeep

Mavi/Avesh/Rajpoot

Siraj

Agree with first 7

8.  Kuldeep

9.  Avesh

10. Siraj

11. Rajpoot

6 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

You need performance too. More is doing much better than Krishna . Hence lost out. 

Prasidh's performances have dropped sharply after that horrific over in the A-team Quadrangular series.

I think it is a confidence issue.

He needs to be given confidence and he will start performing again.

On 12/31/2018 at 2:43 PM, RohitPullShot said:

The much hyped Shubman Gill got bowled by Basil Thampi.

Another KL Rahul in the making.

Whenever we talk about some emerging talents of india ,  People very quickly  make fun of saying 

1)  ICFERS hyping :- This is wrong notion. What is being discussed is , who is the potential talent that  can make it to the national team . No one is saying these guys are world class but best among the indian juniors and may be better than some of current ones in the senior team and hence should replace them. In what way this is hyping. Since established ones are such utter failures , there are openings and some one needs to fill that up. In countries like Eng, AUS, NZ, the Dhawans , Rohits, DKs, Pappus, MSD  would have been discarded long back . Only in India they could latch on so long. 

2) Most of them are branded hacks :- Well no one will be complete finished product. Will have their share of failures . Will have some weakpoints - one may not be that good against spin , another may not be good against sheer pace , most of them may not counter swing well ( This is a global level problem. You can count only handful of good test batsmen who play swing well) . Its the overall game with which one can survive and make it good in international level and trying to sort the weakness along the way which counts . Even past greats had weaknesses - What is the record of Warnie & Murali in India ? What is record of Ponting in India ? How Anderson did in SC ?  But still they are respcted for what they did  in their career.