Need for Speed

The last 18 months bitter blow for manu trundler fans on ICF and in indian cricket.

The nonsense you used to hear despite rest of world battering us with rockets while we threw pebbles back.  O what does pace matter , need line and length.  Any one quick and indian was llabelled a scatter gun and oppos pacer ATG!

Gavasakar once on commentary slaughterd indians for trying to bowl quick and said we just cant do it and should concentrate on line and length in one of the most pathetic passages of commentary I ever heard (was similar to fineleg)

Endless fights on ICF were I said need fast bowlers , back them..  Well here we are !  This stupid notion of trundelers is dead and buried

15 minutes ago, King Tendulkar said:

Endless fights on ICF were I said need fast bowlers , back them..  Well here we are !  This stupid notion of trundelers is dead and buried

Unfortunately its not.

One bad spell or session and people come out and go haywire still. There is no patience among fans. They will still go crazy and won’t let bowlers settle down. It takes time for fast bowlers in international cricket to get used to, but people don’t realize that.

Cricket is played with a hard ball.   No batsman likes getting hit on the head or body.  And when this starts happening on a regular basis with opposition pacers bowling with genuine pace ... it creates a psychological impact on the opposition team batters.  They don't enjoy batting, they are distracted or even afraid.

A genuine fast bowler, capable of hostile bowling, helps his team even when he is not taking wickets.  

5 hours ago, express bowling said:

And Aniket C.

Avesh and Mavi fast bowlers.

Rajpoot and Aniket C  being fast medium. 

yes, forgot aniket of course. has always done well over the past few seasons, without attracing enough notice.

what's your take on tanvir ul-haq? I have seen him among wkts regularly in past couple of ranji seasons. my guess is that he's a trundler?

2 hours ago, Vijy said:

yes, forgot aniket of course. has always done well over the past few seasons, without attracing enough notice.

what's your take on tanvir ul-haq? I have seen him among wkts regularly in past couple of ranji seasons. my guess is that he's a trundler?

Haven't seen Tanvir bowl sufficient overs to form an opinion.

7 hours ago, express bowling said:

Cricket is played with a hard ball.   No batsman likes getting hit on the head or body.  And when this starts happening on a regular basis with opposition pacers bowling with genuine pace ... it creates a psychological impact on the opposition team batters.  They don't enjoy batting, they are distracted or even afraid.

A genuine fast bowler, capable of hostile bowling, helps his team even when he is not taking wickets.  

but it requires accuracy to target the batsman in the first place.

So pace + accuracy is needed which we last had with srinath, and now our troika.

15 minutes ago, Tendulkar1996 said:

Starc being blunted bowling 145-150kph shows why speed is not enough in the age of bowling machines.But i agree ability to bowl 140 is mandatory unless he's a great swing bowler like bhuvi.We don't need a return to trundler era.

Very good point about bowling machines and being easy to adjust to high pace these days. Look at how 150-155kph deliveries are smashed for sixes in T20’s if you make the slightest of errors in line/length.

3 hours ago, Vijy said:

I have seen a bit of Tanvir's bowling. He is a skiddy left arm pacer. Not that quick. Bowls around mid to high 130's but gets the ball to swing into the right handers.

1 minute ago, Mosher said:

I have seen a bit of Tanvir's bowling. He is a skiddy left arm pacer. Not that quick. Bowls around mid to high 130's but gets the ball to swing into the right handers.

if he can consistently bowl high 130s that would be good. most pacers display higher speeds in int'l cricket (maybe diff speed guns) and the left-arm angle offers variety. I wonder how he does in terms of swing & seam.

10 minutes ago, bhakum20 said:

So pace + accuracy is needed which we last had with srinath, and now our troika.

Nobody here is denying that. Accuracy is important. So is moving the ball both ways. Need bowlers to develop into complete package. Move the ball at pace and with good control. Someone like Bumrah.

18 minutes ago, bhakum20 said:

That is a given.   Accuracy has to be there at international level.

Which is why I am in favour of shortlisting the genuine quick bowlers ... and picking only those who are actually performing at FC level and A-team level.  Quicks with ER above 4  should be automatically rejected ...  low average bowlers are the best picks.

Which is why I have given the stats of low average genuinely quick bowlers above and pointed out their ER too.  (  Avesh  and Mavi  )

Pace + Bounce + Accuracy + Other skills  ......   leading to actual wicket taking ability   ...  is what I look for.

45 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Nobody here is denying that. Accuracy is important. So is moving the ball both ways. Need bowlers to develop into complete package. Move the ball at pace and with good control. Someone like Bumrah.

We’ll all be long dead before we find another one like JB, he’s an outlier.

From the prospective ones I guess Avesh Khan looks good, nice rhythmic runup and powerful action, seems well built too. Gets wickets both around offstump as well as bowled/lbw. However without seeing him play in international games, ODI’s for a start, we can’t gauge how good he is. Not sure if he is on selector’s radar.