Was Vishwanath a better batsmen against pace than any other Indian batsmen?

Was Vishwanath the best ever Indian batsmen against genuine pace?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the best ever Indian batsmen against genuine pace?

• Rahul Dravid
    • Gundappa Vishwanath
    • Sachin Tendulkar
    • Sunil Gavaskar
    • VVS Laxman
    • Virat Kohli
    • Mohinder Amarnath
    • Dilip Vengsarkar
    • Virendra Sehwag
    • M.K.Pataudi
    • Vijay Hazare

Tendulkar was better all round player vs pace compared to dravid. Dravid struggled in South Africa and even Austrilia except one tour which had no Mcgrath & Warne. Dravid struggled against Murali & Warne too. But if it's swing conditions like england i will bet on dravid for sure.

Edited by Nikola
12 hours ago, Dil Dil India said:

I also find it amusing that Vilander keeps casting aspersions on peoples' nationalities. And yet people like him run with their tails between their legs when called out on it (like that Stradler or whichever simpleton it was who got exposed the other day). 

If you are talking about @Stradlater, he is a nice chill poster, maybe some miscommunication with you the other day. But you are right about @Vilander, he is the one who whined and whined in the pages long grievances thread and didn't mend his ways after that, what a hypocrite. I will put the onus on the admins here for failing to act and the standard of ICF will continue to go down because of that. People get banned for small things and then we have these double standards, let the forum go to the dogs who cares, if they wanna ban me for pointing out the blatant hypocrisy go right ahead. I mean if you don't want to take action on reported posts, at least spare us the drama of the announcement threads about policy change and stuff....pretty clear their priorities.  

But while you are here, there are a few good posters active, who knows how long that'll last. Put the trolls and irritating posters on the Ignore List...you will find the forum experience a bit better. 

Edited by Gollum
5 hours ago, Harsh Thakor said:

The vital statistics are the runs amassed by the batsmen against the genuine fast bowlers.Nedd a chart revealing the run sscored by Tendulkar,Gavaskar,Dravid etc against the express pace bowlers.Also analzye their influence on result of matches.Here Vishy rates highly.

The problem with removing just pace bowlers and checking is that. Some batsmen play pacers to keep wickets and cash in on other part timers or after they tire. That is also a game plan. So its more rewarding to see against whole bowling unit. May be if you analyze against fast bolwers only then it will show how comfortable the batsmen were against those specific bowlers.

Modern players with helmet and other protection:

BfhG8-.gifr1IqKk.gifZkCPs8.gifgiphy.gifdN0lA2.gifgiphy.gif

WEEXeK.gif

Forget chest guard, arm guard, shin guard, stomach padding and whatever * modern day batsmen wear. The helmet alone is such an insurance for today's gen, so much easier to bat with this one equipment. Earlier times even when there were helmets they didn't have grill. I am not saying that after getting hit on the face/head modern batsmen would die or be permanently disabled but can't deny that with this safety net, much of the fear is removed. Also easier to move the feet forward when you have protection. Without helmets once you get hit on your skull by Thommo or Holding chances are your feet will be like lead for the rest of the tour making run scoring that much more difficult. All modern day greats Lara, Kallis, Sanga, Ponting, Waugh, Smith, Kohli etc have benefited massively and against raw pace they can never be rated higher than the oldies. I can easily give 100 other examples of these ATG batsmen getting hit on the helmet, covered above are in the poll options and there are at least 5 instances of each of these batsmen getting hit. 

Sunny, Jimmy, Vishy should be top 3 from India, order can change depending on personal preferences and reasons. 

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Sehwag shouldn't even be in the poll option, the number of times he has been hit on the helmet and chest disqualifies him from this sort of discussion. Put him in Sunny/Vishy/Jimmy's era and he will suffer. 

If Vic Richards batted in the helmet era, many would probably say that he would struggle w/o helmets (which he did not apart from a few occasions) 

Sehwag has the best avg vs one of the ATG attacks - Aus and has 100s in SA too. When he is in good form (as he is a rhythm player), he is excellent! 

Sachin and Dravid had genuine quicks at various times like Srinath, Sreesanth, Zak, Munaf, Nehra, Ishant Shami etc to prepare against in the nets, and the bowling machines, technology ofc. 

In the 70s our batsmen would face Pataudi, Solkar, Baig in the nets and proceed to the pitch to face Thommo, Lillee, Roberts, Holding etc. Kapil came only in 1978-79, he was just one man and more of a military medium swing bowler than a speed demon. 

3 minutes ago, zen said:

If Vic Richards batted in the helmet era, many would probably say that he would struggle w/o helmets (which he did not apart from a few occasions) 

Sehwag has the best avg vs one of the ATG attacks - Aus and has 100s in SA too. When he is in good form (as he is a rhythm player), he is excellent! 

Richards didn't get hit often and even when he did (once or twice) he proved he could come back. 

Sehwag got hit so often that it is bound to raise questions, even his 100s in Aus involved nasty blows which would take a huge toll on him in the earlier era. 

Edited by Gollum
Just now, Gollum said:

Richards didn't get hit often and even when he did (once or twice) he proved he could come back. 

Sehwag got hit so often that it doesn't count, even his 100s in Aus involved nasty blows which would take a huge toll on him in the earlier era. 

Without helmet, he would adjust his game accordingly 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

If you are talking about @Stradlater, he is a nice chill poster, maybe some miscommunication with you the other day. But you are right about @Vilander, he is the one who whined and whined in the pages long grievances thread and didn't mend his ways after that, what a hypocrite. I will put the onus on the admins here for failing to act and the standard of ICF will continue to go down because of that. People get banned for small things and then we have these double standards, let the forum go to the dogs who cares, if they wanna ban me for pointing out the blatant hypocrisy go right ahead. I mean if you don't want to take action on reported posts, at least spare us the drama of the announcement threads about policy change and stuff....pretty clear their priorities.  

But while you are here, there are a few good posters active, who knows how long that'll last. Put the trolls and irritating posters on the Ignore List...you will find the forum experience a bit better. 

Essentially these blokes just keep claiming I am from the neighbouring country because - DRUMROLL WAIT FOR IT - I make extremely aggressive posts about Pakistan lmfao. I don't really post enough here to worry about blocking people - but you're right, it is an option I will consider if I start spending more time here. I used to post mainly in the tennis forum but now with Federer seemingly done I have no interest there as well.

29 minutes ago, zen said:

Without helmet, he would adjust his game accordingly 

Exactly. I think this is the point people miss. Maybe the current batsmen get hit much more because they KNOW blows aren't (likely) going to be too dangerous and hence are more prepared to take the hits. If they didn't have the luxury of protecting equipment to put their bodies on the line as much, they would have played differently. This is why it is a tedious debate and one I don't really think is worth it.

Re. the selective stats by some posters - Pakistan is being included only to prop up Dravid and put down Tendulkar. India vs Pak mostly happened on dead roads in the 2000s so their records mean nothing with respect to their abilities against pace. The excessive stat filtering with small sample sizes also misleads more than it tells - for ex, Tendu never had issues with Donald vs SA, but kept getting out to Cronje. If we make 1 series the sample size to include Amarnath etc, then it opens a huge can of worms. To take it to the extreme, we could look at one ball and say that the six Balaji hit off Akhtar is the greatest shot against express pace hit by an India and use that to claim Balaji's peak vs fast bowlers is the best....

The most objective comparison would be to look at overall records in Eng/SA/Aus (and NZ if you want) for Tendu and Dravid. For Gavaskar, you could replace SA with WI or some such thing.

For me, the list (factoring records and other things) would be:

1) Tendulkar

2) Gavaskar

3) Kohli

4) Dravid

and the rest....

17 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

Exactly. I think this is the point people miss. Maybe the current batsmen get hit much more because they KNOW blows aren't (likely) going to be too dangerous and hence are more prepared to take the hits. If they didn't have the luxury of protecting equipment to put their bodies on the line as much, they would have played differently. This is why it is a tedious debate and one I don't really think is worth it.

Re. the selective stats by some posters - Pakistan is being included only to prop up Dravid and put down Tendulkar. India vs Pak mostly happened on dead roads in the 2000s so their records mean nothing with respect to their abilities against pace. The excessive stat filtering with small sample sizes also misleads more than it tells - for ex, Tendu never had issues with Donald vs SA, but kept getting out to Cronje. If we make 1 series the sample size to include Amarnath etc, then it opens a huge can of worms. To take it to the extreme, we could look at one ball and say that the six Balaji hit off Akhtar is the greatest shot against express pace hit by an India and use that to claim Balaji's peak vs fast bowlers is the best....

The most objective comparison would be to look at overall records in Eng/SA/Aus (and NZ if you want) for Tendu and Dravid. For Gavaskar, you could replace SA with WI or some such thing.

For me, the list (factoring records and other things) would be:

1) Tendulkar

2) Gavaskar

3) Kohli

4) Dravid

and the rest....

Pace is pace roads or not.  Akhtar cleaned up both SRT and Dravid by sheer pace in India.

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Sehwag got hit so often that it is bound to raise questions, even his 100s in Aus involved nasty blows which would take a huge toll on him in the earlier era. 

games are adjusted according to rules and situations.  How many batsmen died when there was no helmet? According to this logic, every batsman who did not get hit or died on the pitch in helmet-less era was better against pace than modern batsmen.

Did you watch every game of Richards? i do not think you have.  you are just making up things because I can show you a video where a fast bowler was making Richards dance all over the pitch.

Edited by rkt.india