Tamil Music

vvvslaxman

There is a song from SP Balasubramaniyam probably composed by Iraja, it has the words ‘Oru thalai raagam’ , but it is not from the movie of the same title, stuck in my head, anybody knows this which one?
"Devi Shridevi" from "Vaazhve maayam"? It has the line "indha mogam oru thalai raagam" sung by female singer.

On 9/9/2020 at 4:56 PM, Scarface said:
On 9/9/2020 at 11:48 AM, coffee_rules said:
There is a song from SP Balasubramaniyam probably composed by Iraja, it has the words ‘Oru thalai raagam’ , but it is not from the movie of the same title, stuck in my head, anybody knows this which one?

"Devi Shridevi" from "Vaazhve maayam"? It has the line "indha mogam oru thalai raagam" sung by female singer.

Thanks. Turns out , the song title is different and the song is from the same movie. KJY classic. Didn’t know T Rajender could compose so well, he is an atrocious singer and unintendedly comical actor though.

Edited by coffee_rules

Always loved Ullam Ketkume. Every song in this film is immensely likeable. I'm particularly a sucker for this climax. Laila and Shaam both were underrated and underutilized talents from the Tamil Film Industry. Harris Jayaraj as always is good.

Rest in peace The director jeeva.

@vvvslaxman where are you bro?. Thread aarambichu escape aayittel. :laugh:

22 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

My fav singer, PBS, never got his due in Tamil Films, they preferred TMS, 

That whole era was completely lost on me.  I did not (and still do not) enjoy PBS, TMS, Seerkazhi ... more like my mom's generation music.  Even through the '80s, Tamizh film music was not too appealing.  Rahman changed everyghing.  

1 minute ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

That whole era was completely lost on me.  I did not (and still do not) enjoy PBS, TMS, Seerkazhi ... more like my mom's generation music.  Even through the '80s, Tamizh film music was not too appealing.  Rahman changed everyghing.  

Yes, largely true mainly because of TMS spoiled for me. PBS was popular in kannada, so came across that rare song of PBS in Tamil

Just now, coffee_rules said:

Yes, largely true mainly because of TMS spoiled for me. PBS was popular in kannada, so came across that rare song of PBS in Tamil

TMS = handkerchief time.  No percussion, nothing.  Only slow sad string music plus nasal voice that drove you to tears - either because the words were touching or because it was mind-numbingly boring.  

6 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

IlayaRaja sir I s king. He is ages beyond ARR. hear the ensemble of flute , nadaswaram and violin, and the wonderful Karnataka raga . Truly blessed.

came across this kid on violin and then hear the original :hatsoff:

tagging OP @VVS Laxman

Ilayaraja is the king of indo Western classical music. Rahman introduced contemporary modern music to India. Both have different styles and are great. Both have declined after their peak(Raja in the 80s, ARR in the 90s).

That being said, old tamil music either way has its own charm. It got lost in the 00s. 

Edited by I6MTW