Had Kohli won the toss in Ind-Pak match in Manchester...

18 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Still we wud have won.......Pak cannot beat India in Wc till they change their mindset. They come in Wc just to beat India , hence they put extra pressure on themselves. Best of the best cricketers will tell u to keep it simple which was one of the biggest strength of someone like sehwag . Pressure can either make u put extra effort or conscious effort and LOI cricket is about margin of error........thats where they loose it. 

Both in 2015 and now, they just allowed the match to drift away from them. They didn't show any urgency or desperation to take wickets and foil the Indian team's plan to bat safe and keep wickets in hand.  And I don't understand why they decided to bowl first given their success batting first in the CT17 final. 330+ doesn't happen every time, but with a little application they could have put up 270-280 which is good enough to win if early wickets are taken. 

In general, chasing is definitely harder in big pressure matches. Win toss and bat first to put runs on the board. Batting first you can put up a score and get the opportunity to defend it and play a lot more freely especially in the latter part of the innings.  For the chasing team, there's the added scoreboard pressure and it tests your nerves. One wicket and the pressure compounds further.  Take the 1983 WC,  IMO India batting first played a big part in them defending a paltry 183 runs against the West Indies.  Of all the India Pakistan encounters in the WC, India has won 6 times batting first and one time chasing 274 in 2003 at Centurion courtesy the Tendulkar blitz and some level headed batting down the order.  

In cloudy and rain affected matches like this world cup, India was lucky the match was not curtailed much and we got around 90 overs.  If rain came earlier and the chase was shortened to say 25 overs, then it could have been very tricky for India.  If I'm not mistaken, after 20 overs Pakistan needed only a little over 100 runs with wickets intact of course.  Good thing match was done and dusted by the time rain came. 

That said, you still need to play good cricket and keep wickets by building partnerships or take wickets.  The team which plays better and makes fewer mistakes more or less wins the game.  That's why the opening partnership was crucial from India's POV in setting up a solid foundation by not losing wickets in the first 10 overs or so. Rahul and Rohit did well to see out the new ball.  

Edited by PBN
6 minutes ago, PBN said:

In general, chasing is definitely harder in big pressure matches. Win toss and bat first to put runs on the board. Batting first you can put up a score and get the opportunity to defend it and play a lot more freely especially in the latter part of the innings.  For the chasing team, there's the added scoreboard pressure and it tests your nerves. One wicket and the pressure compounds further.  Take the 1983 WC,  IMO India batting first played a big part in them defending a paltry 183 runs against the West Indies.  Of all the India Pakistan encounters in the WC, India has won 6 times batting first and one time chasing 274 in 2003 at Centurion courtesy the Tendulkar blitz and some level headed batting down the order.  

In cloudy and rain affected matches like this world cup, India was lucky the match was not curtailed much and we got around 90 overs.  If rain came earlier and the chase was shortened to say 25 overs, then it could have been very tricky for India.  If I'm not mistaken, after 20 overs Pakistan needed only a little over 100 runs after 20 overs with wickets intact of course.  Good thing match was done and dusted by the time rain came. 

That said, you still need to play good cricket and keep wickets by building partnerships or take wickets.  The team which plays better and makes fewer mistakes more or less wins the game.  That's why the opening partnership was crucial from India's POV in setting up a solid foundation by not losing wickets in the first 10 overs or so. Rahul and Rohit did well to see out the new ball.  

A very sensible post. However, If Kohli bowled first, in his defense, Unlike previous Indian teams, Current Indian bowling lineup is best in this world Cup. No team would like to take on Bhumrah Kulcha and Bhuvi/Shami combo supported along with Pandya.

To me, We should and could always win against Pakistan anywhere in world on any stage as long as we play to our pottential. Batting or bowling first, decide how many runs or wickets we win with. FFS, they are just above Afghanistan in league table.

48 minutes ago, nevada said:

Both in 2015 and now, they just allowed the match to drift away from them. They didn't show any urgency or desperation to take wickets and foil the Indian team's plan to bat safe and keep wickets in hand.  And I don't understand why they decided to bowl first given their success batting first in the CT17 final. 330+ doesn't happen every time, but with a little application they could have put up 270-280 which is good enough to win if early wickets are taken. 

fear of failure - as it was said that pitch will have some moisture ........that fear gets to their head. 

19 hours ago, Vilander said:

they are not that good thats why.

If you listen to commentators, they would have you believe Archer is the greatest thing since Holding / Marshall / Garner / Roberts / Croft.

Overrated traitor is what he really is.  F England and F Archer.  I hope he pulls a hamstring.

kohli has no business to bat first unless really special situation like damp pitch or heavily bowler favored condition. Batting first on mostly good pitches makes sense specially with 2 strike spinners. Any total over 280 will put extreme pressure on Indian batting line up...considering we don't bat deep.

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

fear of failure - as it was said that pitch will have some moisture ........that fear gets to their head. 

They wanted rain to come to rescue with DL method as their best bet was for Babar and Fakhar to score few runs. Once them two got out, Their tail begin.

Also , They have to accept that Fakhar has been found out. As Shoib Akhtar said, there is allways an area/corridor between Fakhar's bat and stumps where he can never reach no matter what due to his technique.

Edited by mishra
17 minutes ago, mishra said:

They wanted rain to come to rescue with DL method as their best bet was for Babar and Fakhar to score few runs. Once them two got out, Their tail begin.

Also , They have to accept that Fakhar has been found out. As Shoib Akhtar said, there is allways an area/corridor between Fakhar's bat and stumps where he can never reach no matter what due to his technique.

Exactly I think except Babar and fakhar, all other batsman are way sub standard. 

Hafiz and shoaib should have retired. 

Sarfaraz has no technique. 

I would love to play 5 test and 5 odi series against pak. 

Understand pak is a very weak team like Lanka.  I think Afghanistan Lanka pak are all at same level now. 

4 minutes ago, vishalvirsingh said:

Exactly I think except Babar and fakhar, all other batsman are way sub standard. 

Hafiz and shoaib should have retired. 

Sarfaraz has no technique. 

I would love to play 5 test and 5 odi series against pak. 

Understand pak is a very weak team like Lanka.  I think Afghanistan Lanka pak are all at same level now. 

Dont want to play any series against Pakistan but Babar has issue in rotating strikes. He hasnt got any technical weakness, hence whole team bats around him. In limited overs, rotating the strike is key, hence you see big difference in their overall performance in tests vs odis.