Why are most Indian people living in English-Speaking countries either from Punjab or Gujarat?

SecondSlip

25 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

OP got to come to US to see how many Hyderbadis/Andhra folks we got here. If you speak Telugu, you will get by easily in any IT firm here as thats the most popular language and then comes JAVA, PYthon etc. 

if your manager speaks telugu and you dont speak telugu you are gone ( @nikred  :hehe: ) :giggle:

On 7/30/2019 at 1:14 PM, Cricketics said:

OP got to come to US to see how many Hyderbadis/Andhra folks we got here. If you speak Telugu, you will get by easily in any IT firm here as thats the most popular language and then comes JAVA, PYthon etc. 

Yes, Telugus have dominated in the last decade or so and were the fastest growing community in the US. There are probably over 400,000 in the US and mostly in the last decade and is the fastest growing group/language in the USA. One only needs to see the amount of ads in every little corner for IT/USA in places like Hyderabad. 

Punjabis and Gujaratis had almost a century head start but other communities like Telugus, Tamils, and even Bengalis have caught up in the last decade or so.  Telugus have properly gamed the entry to the USA.  

On 7/26/2019 at 6:56 PM, coffee_rules said:

Historically speaking, they started to emigrate earlier. They don't invest in education, but are good in running small businesses, like grocery stores, mptels, newsstand and frachises and also finance each other in the extended family.

The first generation who come especially with families are there to survive. At the end of the day, they have to adapt quickly and find whatever job which are mostly referred to by others in the community for the betterment of their families..  The sacrifices of the first generation bear fruit in a decade or the second generation who become professionals (if that's a 'standard' to be successful in life) be it doctors, lawyers, accountants, or even politicians. 

On 7/24/2019 at 5:58 PM, SecondSlip said:

First of all I would like to start off by saying that I am also a Punjabi, so this isn’t a rant thread by any means! :giggle: 

I was born in Canada and have lived here my whole life. One big thing I noticed is that almost every other Indian person living in Canada is either a Punjabi or Gujarati. All of my Indian buddies from primary school, high school and college were from those 2 ethnicities. 

I did some research and found out that Punjabis & Gujaratis also dominate the Indian diaspora in countries such as USA, UK, Australia, New Zealand and of course, Canada! 

How come these 2 ethnicities are the most populous in English-Speaking countries? Even states like Bihar & Maharashtra have over 100 million people living in them each but you will barely, if ever, meet a Bihari or Marathi in Western countries. 

I know a lot of you fellow ICFers live in one of the countries I mentioned above, so I will gladly love to hear your views on this! :icflove:

Where do you live in Canada that you haven't met people from the South esp Tamils , Biharis, or Marathis?

Punjabis are mostly around Brampton and some in Mississauga although Pakistanis probably outnumber Punjabis in Missisauga.  Areas like historically have had Scarborough have lots of Tamils/SL.  Gujaratis are a recent upward trend in Canada?

4 hours ago, chewy said:

Not true nowdays, plenty of peeps from TN and Andhra, MH in UK  Europe and esp. USA

Historically it was mainly.Gujus, probably due to Kutchi Muslims sailing and trading around Indian ocean, alot of the Gujus who settled in UK and Africa were from Kutch region of Guj, coastal cities like Porbander 

Punjabies I dunno, they were probably too stupid to settle in English speaking countries probably  wanted to deal crack and sh!te, even nowadays most punjabies in US and Europe do manual and construction jobs

Not really, Punjabis have been in Canada and USA for over a century.  There was also huge Punjabi emigration to UK as well. 

In the early 20th century, The Ghadar Party, which consisted of mostly Punjabis, was organized in the USA to fight against the British during India's quest for freedom. Its headquarters were based in San Fransisco and was a revolutionary movement and stepping stone for future freedom struggles.. Prominent members include founding member, Sohan Singh Bhakna and Kartar Singh Sarabha, who would become the role model for Bhagat Singh.  The party members would be later sent to Kala Pani in the struggle for freedom.

17 hours ago, Epic said:

Where do you live in Canada that you haven't met people from the South esp Tamils , Biharis, or Marathis?

Punjabis are mostly around Brampton and some in Mississauga although Pakistanis probably outnumber Punjabis in Missisauga.  Areas like historically have had Scarborough have lots of Tamils/SL.  Gujaratis are a recent upward trend in Canada?

Possibly in Surrey, BC near Vancouver.  Wait, that's not possible ... OP said Punjabis and Gujaratis.  There are no Gujaratis in Surrey.  If you were blindfolded and air-dropped in Surrey, you'd think it was Patiala.  

7 hours ago, Epic said:

Not really, Punjabis have been in Canada and USA for over a century.  There was also huge Punjabi emigration to UK as well. 

In the early 20th century, The Ghadar Party, which consisted of mostly Punjabis, was organized in the USA to fight against the British during India's quest for freedom. Its headquarters were based in San Fransisco and was a revolutionary movement and stepping stone for future freedom struggles.. Prominent members include founding member, Sohan Singh Bhakna and Kartar Singh Sarabha, who would become the role model for Bhagat Singh.  The party members would be later sent to Kala Pani in the struggle for freedom.

You forgot Lala Hardayal. Their de facto leader. 

On 8/1/2019 at 4:51 PM, Epic said:

Lol I live very near Mississauga. Pakistanis don’t outnumber Indians in any city in Canada. According to the Canada 2016 consensus, East Indians make up 15.4% of Mississauga’s total population whereas Pakistanis make up only 5%. 

I have met Tamils here in Canada but most of them are from Sri Lanka as you said. There are Indian Tamils as well but they are nowhere near the majority of the Indian diaspora here. 

Punjabis and Gujaratis are found everywhere in Canada. Since I’m from Ontario, I can tell you that you can find them in almost every big city here such as Hamilton, Ottawa, Kitchener, Oakville, Burlington, Niagara Falls and everywhere in the Greater Toronto Area. 

18 hours ago, chewy said:

Not true nowdays, plenty of peeps from TN and Andhra, MH in UK  Europe and esp. USA

Historically it was mainly.Gujus, probably due to Kutchi Muslims sailing and trading around Indian ocean, alot of the Gujus who settled in UK and Africa were from Kutch region of Guj, coastal cities like Porbander 

Punjabies I dunno, they were probably too stupid to settle in English speaking countries probably  wanted to deal crack and sh!te, even nowadays most punjabies in US and Europe do manual and construction jobs

What nonsense you speak. All Indians who moved to the UK in the 1950s onwards started with doing manual jobs. Only some East African Indians did professional jobs when they arrived en masse after being kicked out of Uganda and Kenya.

There are too many myths when it comes to Indian states. Like Bengalis being intellectuals. Andhra Pradesh and Telegana have atrocious literacy rates, some of the worst in in the whole country.

On 8/2/2019 at 7:45 PM, SecondSlip said:

Lol I live very near Mississauga. Pakistanis don’t outnumber Indians in any city in Canada. According to the Canada 2016 consensus, East Indians make up 15.4% of Mississauga’s total population whereas Pakistanis make up only 5%. 

I have met Tamils here in Canada but most of them are from Sri Lanka as you said. There are Indian Tamils as well but they are nowhere near the majority of the Indian diaspora here. 

Punjabis and Gujaratis are found everywhere in Canada. Since I’m from Ontario, I can tell you that you can find them in almost every big city here such as Hamilton, Ottawa, Kitchener, Oakville, Burlington, Niagara Falls and everywhere in the Greater Toronto Area. 

I saw some stats regarding mother tongue and Urdu was higher than say Punjabi/Hindi in Mississauga.  But I suppose when you combine all Indians, Indians might be higher than Pakistanis in Mississauga. 

Edited by Epic

On 8/1/2019 at 1:13 PM, Epic said:

Yes, Telugus have dominated in the last decade or so and were the fastest growing community in the US. There are probably over 400,000 in the US and mostly in the last decade and is the fastest growing group/language in the USA. One only needs to see the amount of ads in every little corner for IT/USA in places like Hyderabad. 

Punjabis and Gujaratis had almost a century head start but other communities like Telugus, Tamils, and even Bengalis have caught up in the last decade or so.  Telugus have properly gamed the entry to the USA.  

You guys must be UK or Canada ppl. There are close to atleast 1.2 million or more Telugus in USA. It could be as much as 1.5 million. Back in 2008 itself there were 700k Telugus in USA

Bcos USA is Telugu stronghold. Telugus for lack of another word are simply obsessed with USA. Just to give you an idea as to how many Telugus are here an average Telugu movie grosses more than Hindi Blockbusters in USA...

Actually Telugu immigration to USA has been there consistently since 2000 so last 20 years. Even before that it started with Telugu doctors in the 70s and 80s. Then the IT wave of Telugu migration to USA.

As things stand Telugu population in USA is about equal to number of Gujaratis in USA and in the next 3 to 4 years Telugus will overtake Gujjus and will become no 1 Indian populated community. Punjabis come third , Tamilians 4th and then the rest. 

Edited by Reddysaab