Tripura HC bans animal sacrifice in all temples with immediate effect

Gollum

15 hours ago, maniac said:

Is there any reputable study by the way that show's plants have brains,nervous systems etc.? I googled it. I mean normally we take this argument at face value but right now it just seems like something that is a just theory that is thrown around, no different from dinosaurs never existed or flat earth theory or Sasquatch. I mean people have tried to conduct research here as well. 

They might not be having brain or nervous system, but are certainly living. They grow , bend towards light, some even eat animals. As Hindu philosophy says, it is not in our dharma to disrespect living things. We believe in praying to trees as they give mankind a lot, have characters like vriksharaja in puranas. 

So if it's unethical to kill living beings, we think it is ok to kill plants as long as we eat it. We harvest and eat. So, it is ok to harvest , kill and eat animals. We protest when trees are felled for commercial reasons, like we protest trophy hunting.

Edited by coffee_rules

On 9/30/2019 at 10:19 PM, Tibarn said:

The reality is that "liberalism" and "secularism" are philosophical offshoots of Christianity. They cannot tolerate the actual diversity of Hinduism, as homogenizing is inherent to their DNA. The idea that temples have different traditions across India, which is seemingly the textbook definition of diversity, is haraam to these people. 

One can see this in the West as well. The idea of diversity is not diversity of thoughts, but superficial diversity skin-deep. Diversity is good so long as all black, white, brown, yellow, red, blue, purple people all say the exact same thing as approved by the "liberal" clergy.    

That's an excellent post.

Another issue I think is book-centric. Certain religions can always point to their one holy book and justify their actions. Whereas, we don't have such concept, and a large part of our traditions are transmitted orally. Thus, our cultural openness and diversity,  has turned out to be a weak link, in today's westernized world which is book-centric....

On 9/30/2019 at 10:13 PM, mishra said:

So, just for sake of argument, You are okay to resolve practice of allowing Dalits seeking blessings of God in a separate queue via different side of a temple?

Answer should be No. same queue for everyone as temple cant give special rights to choosen few.

Hain? 

On 10/3/2019 at 7:37 AM, coffee_rules said:

Veer Savarakar is an atheist. Swami Vivekananda ate meat. 

So. Don’t compare yourself to them. They were on a different level. Compare them when you have achieved what they had achieved.

Regarding the OP, not sure when the practice of sacrificing animal had started. I find it barbaric. That’s what you wanna offer to God? I’m pretty sure the use of coconuts in Hinduism came because of this. Because the aesthetics of coconut is similar to that of an animal (two eyes, a choti). 

If i wanna offer something to god, I’ll offer my intellect. I’ll offer if I did something to bring about his thoughts in my life. Not a freaking dead animal. Come on!!

8 hours ago, Laaloo said:

Regarding the OP, not sure when the practice of sacrificing animal had started.

More than a millennium ago in that part of the country. Shaktism is a major denomination of Hinduism practiced in Bengal, Odisha, North East and Nepal. Apart from that many tribes (that come under the fold of Hinduism) offer sacrifices during certain occasions. 

I find it barbaric. That’s what you wanna offer to God? I’m pretty sure the use of coconuts in Hinduism came because of this. Because the aesthetics of coconut is similar to that of an animal (two eyes, a choti). 

You find it barbaric, no problem. You can avoid visiting those temples. Many temples there which don't offer bali, visit those. I don't like ISKCON, so avoid them...but if they are under attack (unreasonable, motivated) I will defend them as well being a fellow dharmic. 

If i wanna offer something to god, I’ll offer my intellect. I’ll offer if I did something to bring about his thoughts in my life. Not a freaking dead animal. Come on!!

Can't dictate how people should show their love to their special deity. Live and let live.

That's the problem with these judges, they wanna enforce their personal thoughts (half knowledge, bias, perversion, NGO influence) and decree how Hindus should follow their practices...Dahi Handi, Diwali, Jallikattu, Holi, Sabarimala...where does their activism stop? Pretty sure those assholes will be munching mutton curry and tandoori chicken in the comforts of their homes but wanna ban bali in a handful of temples where the meat doesn't go to waste. 

Edited by Gollum

9 hours ago, Laaloo said:

So. Don’t compare yourself to them. They were on a different level. Compare them when you have achieved what they had achieved.

I am not comparing myself with them, just pointing out the hypocrisy in your  argument of forcing everyone to your sensibilities. 

9 hours ago, Laaloo said:

Regarding the OP, not sure when the practice of sacrificing animal had started. I find it barbaric. That’s what you wanna offer to God? I’m pretty sure the use of coconuts in Hinduism came because of this. Because the aesthetics of coconut is similar to that of an animal (two eyes, a choti). 

It’s not about your feeling of superiority over them to look down upon their way of praising god. I don’t believe in Mannat maangna, it’s not logical, but will not ban the practice. If you are feeling bad they are killing animals , then you should also fight nonvegetarianism.

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

More than a millennium ago in that part of the country. Shaktism is a major denomination of Hinduism practiced in Bengal, Odisha, North East and Nepal. Apart from that many tribes (that come under the fold of Hinduism) offer sacrifices during certain occasions. 

You find it barbaric, no problem. You can avoid visiting those temples. Many temples there which don't offer bali, visit those. I don't like ISKCON, so avoid them...but if they are under attack (unreasonable, motivated) I will defend them as well being a fellow dharmic. 

Can't dictate how people should show their love to their special deity. Live and let live.

That's the problem with these judges, they wanna enforce their personal thoughts (half knowledge, bias, perversion, NGO influence) and decree how Hindus should follow their practices...Dahi Handi, Diwali, Jallikattu, Holi, Sabarimala...where does their activism stop? Pretty sure those assholes will be munching mutton curry and tandoori chicken in the comforts of their homes but wanna ban bali in a handful of temples where the meat doesn't go to waste. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

I am not comparing myself with them, just pointing out the hypocrisy in your  argument of forcing everyone to your sensibilities. 

It’s not about your feeling of superiority over them to look down upon their way of praising god. I don’t believe in Mannat maangna, it’s not logical, but will not ban the practice. If you are feeling bad they are killing animals , then you should also fight nonvegetarianism.

That's fine. I do agree with one fact that just like everything else in hinduism, this also shouldn't be forced upon. I'd rather give up something intellectually rather than something being forced upon. 

No no I will go to the temples. I'll bring loads of coconuts :P

15 hours ago, Laaloo said:

That’s your choice and good on your temple to do so. You however have no right to want other temples with thousands of years of custom to change just so your version of Hinduism is being observed.