Who is the most fearsome fast bowler you have seen

maniac

8 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Brett lee says hello. Regularly bowled 150 plus for 6-7 overs which is the regular length of a fast bowlers spell. 

He is pretty much the only one who did that.  I have seen Tino best do 148 to 152 in a whole spell which is borderline express if one can call that.   Akthar 3 overs of express and 3 of fast. Steven Finn was super consistently quick in a series I can't remember which. 

8 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Brett lee says hello. Regularly bowled 150 plus for 6-7 overs which is the regular length of a fast bowlers spell. 

Can you show me any such spells. Brett Lee is my favorite, more Akhtar. I believe he has the best action a fast bowler could have but no I wouldn't exaggerate and say he bowled 150kph fir 6-7 overs. This is just against the universal rules of endurance and speed. It's like saying Usain Bolt Sprinted marathon in 60 minutes at 9.8 seconds per 100 meter speeds. 

Any bowler who starts at 150-155 kph will eventually come down at 140-145 if he bowls 7-8 over spells.

8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Can you show me any such spells. Brett Lee is my favorite, more Akhtar. I believe he has the best action a fast bowler could have but no I wouldn't exaggerate and say he bowled 150kph fir 6-7 overs. This is just against the universal rules of endurance and speed. It's like saying Usain Bolt Sprinted marathon in 60 minutes at 9.8 seconds per 100 meter speeds. 

Any bowler who starts at 150-155 kph will eventually come down at 140-145 if he bowls 7-8 over spells.

Brett Lee used to bowl 150+ till his second spell in odi Akthar did his peak speed in his first 3 over spell. Bret Lee had more endurance than Akthar. It's used to be so much fun seeing the contrast between Lee akthar and Bond and Bond got replaced by wild thing Tait. 

18 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Nah, IMHO, Bond was more similar to Starc than Akhtar, Lee.

Notice the word 'towards' :) And the reason he was towards express, was because of the quality of his bowling. That bowling at his pace was devastating. Btw, I watched Bond right from his first match till his last.

24 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Um, most of them for his opening spella... nobody really bowls 20

consecutive balls at 150+, they tend to all have the 152,153,148,149,156,153,etc... kind of speeds. Brett Lee kept this kind of a locus through most of his fresh and even sometimes his second spells. Akhtar had similar locus but for only 2-3 overs, then his frequency of 150+ would noticeably drop.Akhtar wasn’t just injury prone, he was also notoriously unfit and called out for it during his career itself. Surprised you don’t remember or know this. 

17 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

I always believed Lee was slower than Akhtar in test cricket. I dont many really quick 150 plus spells from him. He was more 142-150 range in tests.

He was slower in peak speeds but faster in average speeds. Comfortably so. Coz by the 10th over Akhtar was 140-143 range and Lee was still in the 145-153 range. Don’t pass off your extremely limited memory of players as analysis. 

Discussing speed readings is great fun for fast bowling fans and fast bowlers alike.

And I do it a lot.

But speed gun readings have been notoriously inconsistent over the years. And it used to happen far more often till the last decade in international matches and still happens in domestic and 2nd rung matches.

In the 2010s, with regular use of high speed cameras, we get accurate speeds from sites like Cricviz.  

But I would take most speeds recorded from 1975 to 2010 with a pinch of salt.

Unless two pacers bowl in the same match, it is difficult to compare their speed readings if we are taking speed gun readings.

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Muloghonto thinks bowling 93 mph average speed in a 7 over spell is a joke. 

Why have you taken a personal offence to @Muloghonto? Sometimes, it is ok to accept that some people have more knowledge than us. And I can say one thing, that @Muloghonto has more knowledge of fast bowling than all of us combined here. Nothing can replace experience. And he has seen more bowlers than you and I have. 

He is talking from a much broader perspective than you and me can think of. 

I also dont trust the speeds of bowlers of the past. But thats something all of us can only debate about.

Edited by Rightarmfast
3 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Why have you taken a personal offence to @Muloghonto? Sometimes, it is ok to accept that some people have more knowledge than us. And I can say one thing, that @Muloghonto has more knowledge of fast bowling than all of us combined here. Nothing can replace experience. And he has seen more bowlers than you and I have. 

He is talking from a much broader perspective than you and me can think of. 

I also dont trust the speeds of bowlers of the past. But thats something all of us can only debate about.

8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Shami and Umesh have bowled hostile spells throughout the 3rd test match.

They have hit SA batters on the head and body and made them hop and jump and get out many times.

Elgar was hit on the head and needed a concussion replacement in this test.

@Muloghonto 30 yrs ago, the same spell would have been called express and fiery. in the absence of a speed gun. But we do know that they bowled at a max pace of 146k's. B

1 minute ago, Rightarmfast said:

@Muloghonto 30 yrs ago, the same spell would have been called express and fiery. in the absence of a speed gun. But we do know that they bowled at a max pace of 146k's. B

Exactly.

A WI, Aussie, SA or Pakistani pacer ...  bowling like Shami and Umesh did today ...  without any speed guns ... would have been called a 95 mph bowler.

On 10/19/2019 at 9:22 PM, GeeGaw said:

Take your pick from any of the Windies Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse back in the day.  From pure intimidation standpoint I would give the edge to Ambrose and Garner - can’t believe Garner hasn’t been mentioned in four pages.

If I need a wicket, then Marshal followed by Holding. 

Off course, the Windies greats are always in race for anything related to Pace bowling.

Andy Roberts hit David Hookes on jaw and he had to be in hospital during test for few days. After that injury David Hookes never batted with same confidence against everyone, not just Roberts. Usually a bowler would make job of his bowling partner easier to t take wickets, but Roberts made task off picking Hooks wicket easier for all pace bowlers. Such was Roberts impact on careers.

Having said that Sean Abbott a bowler with far lesser pace struck the worst blow on cricket field ever delivered by a bowler just couple of years back. Also sometimes it is not about how fast one bowls, but the area which the bowler targets. Not saying About did it purposely but Thomson would purposely look to knock off the jaw or head causing severe damage. Thomson was most agreesaive in that approach and with the pace at which he bowled it was just a horror situation for batsmen.

Thomson used to  put that fear of death  purposely and with intent into the batsmen. That's why I feel he was the most brutal pace bowler alongside Croft

Edited by Straight Drive