Dravida bug spreading in Bengaluru

coffee_rules

57 minutes ago, velu said:

one and only thing that matters for gujjus and marwaris is :money: 

Not all gujjus are bij-ness wallah moneybags - there are those who put stock in education and white collar salaried employment as well.  But you will rarely find a gujju who gets overly worked up about negative stereotypes hurled at him - probably because most have the confidence and sense of security that comes from relative socio-economic stability.  And unsurprisingly, those that lack that security are often seen at the forefront of prejudiced discussions.  

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Not all gujjus are bij-ness wallah moneybags - there are those who put stock in education and white collar salaried employment as well.  But you will rarely find a gujju who gets overly worked up about negative stereotypes hurled at him - probably because most have the confidence and sense of security that comes from relative socio-economic stability.  And unsurprisingly, those that lack that security are often seen at the forefront of prejudiced discussions.  

His idea of gujjus is that they lie on beds of :money:and the streets in ahmedabad are paved with gold :laugh:

1 hour ago, maniac said:

You probably lived in a bio secure bubble way before it was a thing.

I think growing up in a diverse environment makes a difference.  If there are folks and kids from a dozen different regional backgrounds, it simply pushes you to open your mind, and you adapt to that.  Kids don't do political correctness, and on the playground, its what you do, how you interact with others, and how well you can play, that is currency.  Not what your name is, or where your parents came from.  Of course jokes about ethnicities are freely deployed by kids as well, but there isn't malice in them - at that age at least.  And even for parents, when your own children have close friends from different backgrounds, it will loosen you up.  

I'll be honest - even after decades of living in the US, I still have a sense of otherness about non-Indians - regardless of race, white, black whatever. But after my daughter was born, we are close to another family who have a girl born a week or so later, and holding their daughter, and her younger baby brother in your hands, you just bond differently, and it has an impact on your long-held beliefs and behavior patterns.  Your stereotype software essentially gets a bit of a reset.  

13 minutes ago, sandeep said:

That security comes from a very strong community relations. They (business community) back each others financially and that gives them a sense of security. It is lacking among others. Probably Aggarwals have a similar system of community finance systems. Agree, a close friend of mine here in NJ, is a Patel, double grad, dad is a farmer, Even he dad is here now, working for a pharma co and they are very highly practicing Hindus. An inspiration for others to follow. Respect that community a lot. 

20 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I think growing up in a diverse environment makes a difference.  If there are folks and kids from a dozen different regional backgrounds, it simply pushes you to open your mind, and you adapt to that.  Kids don't do political correctness, and on the playground, its what you do, how you interact with others, and how well you can play, that is currency.  Not what your name is, or where your parents came from.  Of course jokes about ethnicities are freely deployed by kids as well, but there isn't malice in them - at that age at least.  And even for parents, when your own children have close friends from different backgrounds, it will loosen you up.  

I'll be honest - even after decades of living in the US, I still have a sense of otherness about non-Indians - regardless of race, white, black whatever. But after my daughter was born, we are close to another family who have a girl born a week or so later, and holding their daughter, and her younger baby brother in your hands, you just bond differently, and it has an impact on your long-held beliefs and behavior patterns.  Your stereotype software essentially gets a bit of a reset.  

There is always a balance right.

In a village for example people might call each other with casteist or religious slurs but without malice and they are ok with that.

In a multicultural society like Mumbai or USA, you might be talking to guy whose thinking a racist thing possibly  about you but just to comply with the social norms is making conversation.

We are humans we all have bias, it’s the malice and disdain that concerns me.

For example you are a South Indian or You are a Gujju, how dare you look,act,behave differently kind of malice. That’s a problem and I feel that’s a lot more in multi cultural societies than say a rural area.

Edited by maniac

16 minutes ago, maniac said:

For example you are a South Indian or You are a Gujju, how dare you look,act,behave differently kind of malice. That’s a problem and I feel that’s a lot more in multi cultural societies than say a rural area.

But that's my point - growing up, or living in a more multi-cultural environment, gives you a lot of chances and a 'push' to be more accepting, or at least 'tolerant' of looking/acting differently.  Now regardless of location, some assholes will remain just that, so its not like it will be 100% effective.  But we are talking generally.  

What you are referring to, is a different issue - the fact that overt intolerance and prejudice is less acceptable in urban "PC" settings, and prejudiced folks have simply trained themselves to veil their true sensibilities.  Even assuming that this is the case, which it probably is, in many cases - I view that as a relative success, because by 'de-normalizing' bigotry, you force even prejudiced folks to alter their behavior, at least in public.  

And as an aside, this is why a lot of folks who are perceived as "overly PC" or 'liberal' take exception to allowing 'hate speech'.  Because if you stay quiet and accept such prejudice, it runs the risk of being 'normalized' and only feeds on itself more and more.  Mainstreaming of prejudice and bigotry, is an outcome that none of us should want.  Whether its related to caste, religion, language, or race. 

32 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

That security comes from a very strong community relations. They (business community) back each others financially and that gives them a sense of security. It is lacking among others. Probably Aggarwals have a similar system of community finance systems. Agree, a close friend of mine here in NJ, is a Patel, double grad, dad is a farmer, Even he dad is here now, working for a pharma co and they are very highly practicing Hindus. An inspiration for others to follow. Respect that community a lot. 

Even amongst gujjus the Patels are looked at as example of high cohesion when it comes to family, clan, and 'native village'.  Especially the Patels that have made it in "phoren" lands.

30 minutes ago, maniac said:

Do you live in CA. I have heard from a friend in CA who said that in CA, whites only employ whites, and the same is the case with Blacks, Mexicans, Asians, Indians. They live in a "multicultural" city, are cordial to each other but they all stick to their people. This was strange to me. I have lived in Texas most of the time I spent in US and never got the feeling. I hung out with whites, mexicans and on the rare occasion a few blacks during school and work and we went to restaurants and bars together. Maybe when the minority reaches a critical mass, people get angsty with one another and tend to form groups

Casteism is more or less absent in Bengal. Thanks to decades of social reform, even heavyweights like Vivekananda and Ramakrishna Mission devoted a lot of time/energy for the same. And Bengali reformers spread this message to all corners of the country. Swami Vivekananda called Malabar a lunatic's asylum cos of the rigid, oppressive caste structure, much to the annoyance of his hosts. He directed his pupils to stay back and reform the society there LINK. Vidyasagar dropped his caste surname, worked for education (esp women's) irrespective of caste, in fact he did more for the lower castes to correct historical wrongs. For instance his Sanskrit College was targeted towards sudras, as principal he enforced revolutionary changes in the education field (like opening up 100s of printing shops and with help of donations distributed free learning material for first time learners in rural areas). Not many may know this but he reformed the Bengali alphabet/type and simplified the grammar since disadvantaged sections were finding it tough to learn. He basically made the language accessible to the common man, the Bengali we use today is his legacy. Great life, great accomplishments even if you leave aside the unorthodox topic of widow remarriage where he defeated 1500 scholars in debate, single-handedly just with his mother's blessings by his side, ultimate badassery which liberated so many suffering Hindu widows. Many other names, truly Bengal Renaissance is so underrated when we talk about development of idea of modern India. So many social ills removed, such large scale reform, big role in our struggle for independence. 

Coming back to topic, later the commies too took the spirit forward, didn't do caste politics for elections, created an environment where caste wasn't a factor in social issues. Though what they did with religion is another matter. Long story short, caste ain't a thing in Bengal. Renaissance deserves credit but so does the Left Front govt. And yeah Bengal rocks. 

Edited by Gollum

18 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Do you live in CA. I have heard from a friend in CA who said that in CA, whites only employ whites, and the same is the case with Blacks, Mexicans, Asians, Indians. They live in a "multicultural" city, are cordial to each other but they all stick to their people. This was strange to me. I have lived in Texas most of the time I spent in US and never got the feeling. I hung out with whites, mexicans and on the rare occasion a few blacks during school and work and we went to restaurants and bars together. Maybe when the minority reaches a critical mass, people get angsty with one another and tend to form groups

I am in Philly bro. Go birds :hs:

Anyways I have usually lived in densely populated desi areas Chicago,Philly and briefly  in SFO

Anyway True funny and sad story. 

One of my close friends lives in CT

Anyways when he moved to the US he joined the local Telugu association. After a few years he got married. It was an inter caste love marriage.

Surprisingly given the castes involved their  parents who live in India were accepting and did not create an issue and everything was great.

However apparently there are 2 Telugu associations in CT now, one Is dominated by one caste and the other by the caste his wife belongs to. 

So doesn’t take a genius to figure out which one he ended up joining :laugh:

I am not doing justice to the story, the way that guy described it is super hilarious.

Now in a small state in the USA, a subsect of Indian community- Telugu people have 2 associations just based on caste affiliation. 

Apparently within those 2 groups there are sub groups of Andhra/Telangana Etc etc  :laugh: 

Anyway the point I was discussing with Sandeep is just because you are in a multi cultural society means jack. Idiots are idiots everywhere.

Edited by maniac

36 minutes ago, maniac said:

Now in a small state in the USA, a subsect of Indian community- Telugu people have 2 associations just based on caste affiliation. 

Apparently within those 2 groups there are sub groups of Andhra/Telangana Etc etc  :laugh: 

Anyway the point I was discussing with Sandeep is just because you are in a multi cultural society means jack. Idiots are idiots everywhere.

That is tragic as well as comic.  But actually reinforces my point - I bet you the founders of those associations did not grow up in a multi-cultural environment.  And that those founders kids are unlikely to inherit their parents' prejudice.  

32 minutes ago, maniac said:

Yeah you telugu boys are divided on a caste basis in a foreign land. Thats pretty bad but we tamils don't even have that. We don't even create caste based groups. We don't associate at all considering our miniscule portion of Indians in the US. Every tamil thinks he is Raja Raja Chola of the 10th century and anyone who doesn't agree which is another Raja raja chola incarnate can't form a group. Of course I'm overexaggerating but tamil associations in the US are boring. Those who ate pizzas in Chennai are now talking about sangam literature and poetry in US :facepalm:Yeah I know about your reddy and kamma associations :laugh: If we stay like this, then I can hope only great things to come :biggrin: