Main Street India

coffee_rules

On 1/9/2021 at 5:57 PM, Gollum said:

Single worst thing to have hit India

If You Smear Cake On Someones Face In Gujarat You Can Get Arrested

Virat Kohli Celebrates his 29th Birthday, Teammates Smear Cake on The  Indian Captain | India.com

What's worse:

(1) The cheesy midnight "surprise" that precedes this.  25+ yr olds planning for days about how to surprise the guy.  Fark, I hated the cheesiness and the having to get up at 11:55 pm to trek to an apartment populated by guys I hardly knew or cared for.  

(2) The effin "bums" that invariably follow this.  People have got badly hurt by those.  

Funnily enough, I never saw these abominations when I Iived in India.  Only after I moved to the US and started living with desi grad students that I became aware of them.  I've participated in all of these abominations, on both sides of it.  After a couple of years, I'd always contract mysterious illnesses or get assigned mysterious research work at midnight on the nights when it was someone's birthday.   

While the caking and bums don't happen anymore, the midnight crap happens even now with my effin 45-50 y.o. friends.  "Hey, it's my wifey's b'day.  We need to surprise her."  In my mind, am like "shyte man ... your wife, your surprise.  Don't drag me into it"  What I actually say "I am out of town for a conference, machaan."

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

13 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

What's worse:

(1) The cheesy midnight "surprise" that precedes this.  25+ yr olds planning for days about how to surprise the guy.  Fark, I hated the cheesiness and the having to get up at 11:55 pm to trek to an apartment populated by guys I hardly knew or cared for.  

(2) The effin "bums" that invariably follow this.  People have got badly hurt by those.  

Funnily enough, I never saw these abominations when I Iived in India.  Only after I moved to the US and started living with desi grad students that I became aware of them.  I've participated in all of these abominations, on both sides of it.  After a couple of years, I'd always contract mysterious illnesses or get assigned mysterious research work at midnight on the nights when it was someone's birthday.   

While the caking and bums don't happen anymore, the midnight crap happens even now with my effin 45-50 y.o. friends.  "Hey, it's my wifey's b'day.  We need to surprise her."  In my mind, am like "shyte man ... your wife, your surprise.  Don't drag me into it"  What I actually say "I am out of town for a conference, machaan."

I have a friend whose BD is Jan 1st, his wife always calls us over for a surprise party and new year’s celebration followed his birthday cake cutting. They serve good food is the only highlight when we attend. This year, we excused out of it saying we are in quarantine as I had some cold. TF, you have to be up till 12 am to celebrate a 40 year old cutting a cheesy cake. I mean literally it is a cheese cake :laugh1:

They should celebrate on Jan 1st eve, in that case

Edited by coffee_rules

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

I have a friend whose BD is Jan 1st, his wife always calls us over for a surprise party and new year’s celebration followed his birthday cake cutting. They serve good food is the only highlight when we attend. This year, we excused out of it saying we are in quarantine as I had some cold. TF, you have to be up till 12 am to celebrate a 40 year old cutting a cheesy cake. I mean literally it is a cheese cake :laugh1:

They should celebrate on Jan 1st eve, in that case

Am way past going to desi parties for good food.  If there's going to be more than 3 families at an event (including mine), I am out.  If I want good food, I cook it myself or get it from a restaurant.  If I am hosting a party, it is almost always at a restaurant.  Book a large table, everyone show up, have good time, go home, I'll foot the bill.  

And don't even get me started on the potlucks :-)!!

Mobile phone cameras has given so much power to namoonays in India. In Punjabi we call them Khusraa (Hijraa). 

Problem in India is that such antics are considered daring, breaking a law gives them immense satisfaction and they make fun of people who are not jugaadu or showbaaz. Nobody stops you abroad, but the look you get from by-passers is soul killing, you can literally read in their eyes 'are you a friggin moron'. In India, people actually enjoy being a spectator to naatakbaazi on the streets be it jagraan, shaadi etc.

These things are common sense, it shows a lack of sophistication, Police cannot enforce it. This is definition of Raunak (entertainment) for them. 

Seeing first video of Manali made me recall famous saying in Punjabi 'Jutti hath me packer ke chittar laal kardo' (asss-beating till it turns red with a sandal).

Edited by Vancouver

On 5/23/2021 at 1:46 PM, coffee_rules said:

DM babu of India, Ranbir Sharma brown sahib

TBH , I don’t agree with people cramming and passing a exam and suddenly given responsibility of whole district and power that comes up with it. Generally , they haven’t known anything about life and have jo experience apart from Chutiyap they learned in college Hostels. Not all but it does appears in their actions a lot of time.

DM position should not be given till civil Servents reach 40 or 45. But by that time they all want to take care of kids and move into city or centre.

PS: I know few of my frnds who made it to civil services and i exactly know what they used to do just 2-3 years before passing hence speaking on experience. now a days, they are all vey matured person.

Edited by mishra