Cricketing pairs who gave the best or most intense attacking duels between a fast bowler and an opening batsman in order of merit.

Which cricketing pair gave the best or most intense attacking duels between a fast bowler and an opening batsman in test cricket ?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which cricketing pair gave the best or most intense attacking duel between a fast bowler and an opening batsman in test cricket ?

• Desmond Haynes-Geoff Lawson
    • Virendra Sehwag-Bret Lee
    • Gordon Greenidge-Imran Khan
    • Barry Richards-Dennis Lillee
    • Sunil Gavaskar-Andy Roberts
    • Sunil Gavaskar-Malcolm Marshall
    • Majid Khan-Andy Roberts
    • Greame Smith-Glen Mcgrtah
    • Graham Gooch-Malcolm Marshall
    • Saed Anwar-Alan Donald
    • Sanath Jayasuriya -Wasim Akram
    • Roy Fredericks-Jeff Thomson
    • Barry Richards-Jeff Thomson
    • Bruce Laird-Micheal Holding

In this list I am ranking in order of merit pairs of cricketers who delivered the best ever attacking contests between an opening batsman and  fast bowler.Ranked in terms of intensity of agression and domination.

1.Graham Gooch-Malcolm Marshall

I can never forget Gooch going hammer at tong against Marshall at Leeds in 1991 and at Trent Bridge in 1988.Resembled a boxing bout inconclusive.

2.Barry Richards-Dennis Lillee

Technical perfection personified combined with attacking agression at a Zenith WSC supertests prove it.

3.Roy Fredericks-Jeff Thomson

Pert 1075-76 perfect evidence when Roy resmbld a bomber raiding an airbase.scoring a century of 71 balls Thomson would later turn on the screws with his disconcerting bounce from a good length and blistering speed.

4.Majid Khan-Andy Roberts

Go back to 1077 when Majid hooked and pulled Roberts all over the place .Roberts in turn bounced at different speeds and produced late outswing.

5.Gordon Greenidge-Imran Khan

Gordon was like an incarnate of Barry Richards blending rock solid technique with supreme attackingg agression.Imran would turn in thunderbolts and sharp inswing.

6.Vrendra Sehwag-Bret Lee

Reminiscent of a circus acrobat peforming.Sehwag would tear opponents like at tiger tearing flesh.Lee could create effect of thunder and lightning.

7.Saed Anwar-Alan Donald

Anwar was an artist personified and on his day could even join Lara.Donlad tok speed and versatility to its zenith in fast bowling.

8.Sunil Gavaskar-Ian Botham

The most compelete opener with the most intelligent  paceman.Love to see a Gavaskar straight or cover drive and a late outswinger ,inswinger and slower ball of Botham.

9.Graeme Smith-GlenMcgrath

Smith possesesed reamarkable talent and would bog out any bowing attack .being clinical and creative.Mcgrath was the ultimate bowing machine who posesesd control of a motorcar combined with great intelligence.

10.Mark Taylor-Wasim Akram

Taylor was an embodiment of solidity.Wasim was the ultimate magician.One of the greatest contest between left-handed cricketers.

11.Bruce Laird -Michael Holding

Laird was determination personified averaging over 50 against the great West Indies team in 1979-80.Holding would create bounce so close to the bat at lightning speed.

12.Desmond Haynes-Geoff Lawson

Haynes could clobber Lawson in cavalier style while in return Lawson could resort to the most fiery bouncers.

Edited by Harsh Thakor

Have not seen many of the contests  listed in the poll live so difficult to judge. From the ones I saw, the best contests in my book irrespective of batting order were in no particular order:

a) Lara v Aus esp. with McGrath & Warne 

b) S Waugh v WI (Ambrose & Co, esp. in early to mid 90s)

c) S Waugh v SA (Donald & Co)

d) Sehwag v Pak

e) Lara v SL (Murali & Co)

From the poll on openers, B Richards v Lillee sounds like a mouth watering contest so will vote for it 

Edited by zen
10 minutes ago, zen said:

Have not seen many of the contests  listed in the poll live so difficult to judge. From the ones I saw, the best contests in my book irrespective of batting order were in no particular order:

a) Lara v Aus esp. with McGrath & Warne 

b) S Waugh v WI (Ambrose & Co, esp. in early to mid 90s)

c) S Waugh v SA (Donald & Co)

d) Sehwag v Pak

e) Lara v SL (Murali & Co)

From the poll on openers, B Richards v Lillee sounds like a mouth watering contest so will vote for it 

Correcting you.Only opening batsmen.No middle order.Thanks anyway.Do give new list  kindly.

1 hour ago, Harsh Thakor said:

Correcting you.Only opening batsmen.No middle order.Thanks anyway.Do give new list  kindly.

If we are talking about an "attacking" duel (from you list):

1. B Richards v Lillee 

2. Sehwag v Lee 

3. Greenidge v Imran

4. Jayasuriya v Akram

5. Majid v Roberts (why not? Majid was an attacking batsman)

6 minutes ago, zen said:

If we are talking about an "attacking" duel (from you list):

1. B Richards v Lillee 

2. Sehwag v Lee 

3. Greenidge v Imran

4. Jayasuriya v Akram

5. Majid v Roberts (why not? Majid was an attacking batsman)

Great  ranking for Why Sehwag so high ?Why not Gooch and Marshall ?

9 minutes ago, Harsh Thakor said:

Great  ranking for Why Sehwag so high ?Why not Gooch and Marshall ?

Because of potential to witness innings such as 195 at Melbourne 

IIRC, when Gooch peaked, Marshall was past his ... also Gooch played at a lower SR

27 minutes ago, zen said:

Because of potential to witness innings such as 195 at Melbourne 

IIRC, when Gooch peaked, Marshall was past his ... also Gooch played at a lower SR

Deeply appreciate But Marshall at best in 1988 and Gooch, Strike rates were considerably lower in that era of batsmen 

9 minutes ago, Harsh Thakor said:

Deeply appreciate But Marshall at best in 1988 and Gooch, Strike rates were considerably lower in that era of batsmen 

If you are talking about "attacking" cricket - B Richards hit 28 4s and 4 6s at a SR of 88; Sehwag had 25 4s and 5 6s at a SR of 83; Greendige's 100 had 15 4s and 3 6s;  Jayasuriya's 188 had 17 4s and 3 6s; Majid's 167 had like 25 4s

If you are talking about overall quality of the knock, Gooch's knock would rate higher 

2 hours ago, Texan said:

Among the ones I saw, I found the one between Sehwag and Shoaib Akhtar in the 2004 series in Pak the most fascinating contest between an ultra fast lightning bowler and a batsman looking to go after every ball bowled. 

Greatly appreciate your choice .I felt very was not at his best against express pace

1 hour ago, zen said:

If you are talking about "attacking" cricket - B Richards hit 28 4s and 4 6s at a SR of 88; Sehwag had 25 4s and 5 6s at a SR of 83; Greendige's 100 had 15 4s and 3 6s;  Jayasuriya's 188 had 17 4s and 3 6s; Majid's 167 had like 25 4s

If you are talking about overall quality of the knock, Gooch's knock would rate higher 

I complement you,Very sound analysis.What about Roy Fredricks?