IPL ... Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners ....

express bowling

10 minutes ago, Forward Defence said:

Nagarkoti doesn't sound very Japanese though.

Watch the 2018 U19 WC highlights and you'll know why we keep focussing on Mavi and Nagarkoti. Guys like Shaheen Afridi were reduced to a sidenote in that tournament thanks to these guys.

I don't agree with this school of thought at all. This is the big boys league. They have to do well here. and NOW. The IPL is the real deal.

Doing well in an obscure U-19 WC can at best get them an IPL spot. If there is any legacy that these guys want to build, it starts from here. My understanding is that a U-19 level tournie and the IPL are miles apart in terms of level of difficulty. Even Jaiswal hasn't been able to fully adapt to the IPL yet.

Since most people on the websites are Engineers/ STEM people and by extension pedantic and boring, let me give you an example from that milieu.

A person can't brag about acing an engineering entrance test for his entire life. He still has to pass college. He still has to prove himself worthy in his first ( and subsequent) job.

This is no different.

Edited by Mariyam

20 minutes ago, Forward Defence said:

Hangargekar is promising but he was visibly a tad slower than Mavi Nagarkoti or Tyagi in the U19s . Good thing is he is built like a tank and will probably withstand the rigours of competitive cricket better than the rest.

Thos u19 wc speed readings were quite inconsistent and unreliable. Hope to see him play soon and see what pace he clocks here. Knowing CSK, unlikely he will get a game this season.

Edited by rkt.india

17 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I don't agree with this school of thought at all. This is the big boys league. They have to do well here. and NOW. The IPL is the real deal.

Doing well in an obscure U-19 WC can at best get them an IPL spot. If there is any legacy that these guys want to build, it starts from here. My understanding is that a U-19 level tournie and the IPL are miles apart in terms of level of difficulty. Even Jaiswal hasn't been able to fully adapt to the IPL yet.

Since most people on the websites are Engineers/ STEM people and by extension pedantic and boring, let me give you an example from that milieu.

A person can't brag about acing an engineering entrance test for his entire life. He still has to pass college. He still has to prove himself worthy in his first ( and subsequent) job.

This is no different.

I don't see any reason to disagree with anything that you have said. But this was not my point. Of course what these guys are doing now is what matters. I was just pointing out that the potential that these guys had exhibited was the reason why our eyes were focused on them in the first place. There have been numerous instances of  cricketers showing early glimpses of special talent and only a select few of them have made it big. And bowling with genuine pace is a quality that is rare and elusive. Surely you can understand our dismay when such rare potential doesn't reach fruition. Its tragic.

By the way do watch those highlights on yt. There is something very appealing about the sight of flailing stumps at the end of a tearaway pacer's run-up.

Edited by Forward Defence

37 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Based on what little I saw today, an over the hill ( I assume) Umesh is still far better a Mavi approaching his prime.

If this game is anything to go by, nothing too impressive about Mavi.

When a 23 year old with abity to bowl.145 kph + is bowling 5 kph slower than a 34 year old who could bowl 145 kph +, it is a sad state of affairs for the young guy.

Mavi seems to have decided that he is happy bowling for KKR and playing for India is not a priority.

He was such an awesome talent and could bowl big inswingers at pace and got the ball to rear up nastily from.just back of a length even though he is short. All this potential down the drain due to poor attitude and ambition.

Just compare this with Mohabbat Shami ... the guy is probably 36 now but works so hard on his fitness and wants to bowl fast while bowling well.

20 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Thos u19 wc speed readings were quite inconsistent and unreliable. Hope to see him play soon and see what pace he clocks here. Knowing CSK, unlikely he will get a game this season.

I wasn't going by those readings. Visually Mavi and Nagarkoti were quicker in 2018 than Hangargekar in 2022.

36 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

This is no different.

I don't agree with this by the way. Engineers(generally) are definitely not those two things.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Mavi seems to have decided that he is happy bowling for KKR and playing for India is not a priority

He will soon be kicked out of KKR too,he hasn't done anything of note yet fame and money has gone into his head it seems

He thinks it is very easy out there ,his childhood coaches must remind him what he used to do before, he's no more a kid now

Edited by Suhaan

55 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

He will soon be kicked out of KKR too,he hasn't done anything of note yet fame and money has gone into his head it seems

He thinks it is very easy out there ,his childhood coaches must remind him what he used to do before, he's no more a kid now

Don't think it has anything to do with fame and money but the multiple back injuries he suffered, not bowling same way since then. Not bending his back or running hard.

Edited by rkt.india

9 hours ago, Forward Defence said:

135-142 is good enough if the bowler is really skilled like Cummins or Bumrah (who is a tad quicker). Problem is that in order to gather those skills one has to go through the rigors of Intl cricket which will also take its toll pacewise especially for guys like Nagarkoti who has a slender frame and is known to be injury prone. Umran Malik can be given a look in maybe in some inconsequential ODI series just to give him a feel of international cricket. I thought Sakariya got his break too early.

In test matches, many top pacers may bowl 135 to 142 as their average spells ... but the ability to bowl some quicker spells in the 138 k to 145 k range seems to come in handy when conditions flatten out. 

Plus, as you said, the rigours of international cricket takes its toll and we are seeing Cummins, Rabada and to a lesser extent Bumrah bowling at lesser speeds than their quickest years 

Which means that a young bowler must be starting at 135 to 148 range atleat unless he is a very bouncy bowler. Nagarkoti, being short and skiddy, would need to start at this range.

11 minutes ago, express bowling said:

In test matches, many top pacers may bowl 135 to 142 as their average spells ... but the ability to bowl some quicker spells in the 138 k to 145 k range seems to come in handy when conditions flatten out. 

Plus, as you said, the rigours of international cricket takes its toll and we are seeing Cummins, Rabada and to a lesser extent Bumrah bowling at lesser speeds than their quickest years 

Which means that a young bowler must be starting at 135 to 148 range atleat unless he is a very bouncy bowler. Nagarkoti, being short and skiddy, would need to start at this range.

Agree, 135-142 is a very good pace considering the tests. But in T20's, is someone has the ability, then he should crank it up, as high pace is noticed these days.
Umran didn't do much in the last season, but his high pace impressed everyone.

10 hours ago, Forward Defence said:

135-142 is good enough if the bowler is really skilled like Cummins or Bumrah (who is a tad quicker). Problem is that in order to gather those skills one has to go through the rigors of Intl cricket which will also take its toll pacewise especially for guys like Nagarkoti who has a slender frame and is known to be injury prone. Umran Malik can be given a look in maybe in some inconsequential ODI series just to give him a feel of international cricket. I thought Sakariya got his break too early.

135-142 is good enough, for that matter even 130-137 is if the bowler has a strong secondary skill. But at this juncture when they are closer to the international doors, such performances are bit underwhelming.
In one of the post match discussion on cricbuzz, Harsha was kinda vouching for the inclusion of Mavi as he's an inswing bowler who can bowl at 140k pace. But after his today's performance with the ball (when he was 5k slower than a pacer who is 11 yrs older than him), I am not feeling hopeful.

Regarding Umran, for some reason his economy tends to be on the higher side even in the domestics. But I wouldn't mind that if he can terrorize the batters with his pace. Bowlers with such high pace are rare across the world.

6 hours ago, singhvivek141 said:

Agree, 135-142 is a very good pace considering the tests. But in T20's, is someone has the ability, then he should crank it up, as high pace is noticed these days.
Umran didn't do much in the last season, but his high pace impressed everyone.

As we saw in the Oval test ... that Bumrah spell when he kept bowling around 88 mph to 90 mph and devastated England when conventional swing and seam movement died down. 

And Bumrah and Shami did the same in the test series vs Lanka.

The abity to crank it up around 90 mph or 145 kph is a very handy ability to have.

In T20s, we definitely need a couple of really quick guys with white ball skills.

Edited by express bowling