Toss factor in the WTC final

zen

I do not know about the current conditions at Southampton (have not read any previews). My info is mostly from what I read here. On one hand, ppl like Gavaskar (from what was posted in one of the threads here) think it would be hot and dry, while forecast suggests rainy/cloudy conditions (also read that on the forum). 

How big a factor would the toss play? ... To me it appears as if Ind wins the toss, it would bat first. On the other hand, NZ is likely to bowl first ... if that is the case, it may make the toss a formality :hmmm:

Edited by zen
9 minutes ago, maniac said:

Win toss bat first, put a big  score and put  the  opposition under pressure.

cricket strategy 101.

Can think or overthink if it doesn’t go this way with the toss.

That is from Ind PoV, NZ could very well bowl first depending on conditions 

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

cricket strategy 101.

Got think about weather.  Dukes ball.  If that ball is going to be jagging around all day on Day 1 ... that big score may never come.  Last thing we need is to be 98/7, only for sunshine the next day and the Kiwis going 200+.  

13 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Got think about weather.  Dukes ball.  If that ball is going to be jagging around all day on Day 1 ... that big score may never come.  Last thing we need is to be 98/7, only for sunshine the next day and the Kiwis going 200+.  

Which is why toss is bullshit. Both teams don't bat on same surface.

As expected, NZ bowls first:

10.00am Finally, it's toss time! The floodlights are on in the murk of Southampton. Virat Kohli tosses, Kane Williamson calls, and New Zealand have won the toss. "We're going to have a bowl first," Williamson says. "The conditions, a bit of weather around, hopefully we can make use of the first hour, get a bit of seam movement."

On 6/16/2021 at 10:22 PM, maniac said:

cricket strategy 101.

Yup we've overcome much worse odds! 1971, 1983, 2001, 2020-2021 (Oz tour)  :om:

A lot will depend on Brat, let's see if he actually steps up on the big stage or not!