General question and answers threads

Trichromatic

We don't have earthing as of yet at my place and I am getting shock from microwave oven body. Technician told me that once earthing is done, it will be fixed. 

Question - why will affect microwave oven and not other appliances? Or is it that there is issue with the appliance itself?

3 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

We don't have earthing as of yet at my place and I am getting shock from microwave oven body. Technician told me that once earthing is done, it will be fixed. 

Question - why will affect microwave oven and not other appliances? Or is it that there is issue with the appliance itself?

is it a 3 pin appliance with 220v wattage? check wattage, 3-pins need deep grounding in India, we had to stop using 220v appliance in India and had an step down transformer and used a 110v US microwave to avoid shocks.

30 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

is it a 3 pin appliance with 220v wattage? check wattage, 3-pins need deep grounding in India, we had to stop using 220v appliance in India and had an step down transformer and used a 110v US microwave to avoid shocks.

Yes, it's 3 pin appliance. None of other appliances have such issue.

1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

Yes, it's 3 pin appliance. None of other appliances have such issue.

yes, the refrigerator was 3-pin and didn't have the shock issue. May be metal body is the reason. We didn't have any issues with smaller wattage appliances except for this microwave

Edited by coffee_rules

2 hours ago, beetle said:

The microwave must be metal body without double insulation.

Other appliances must be plastic body.

2 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

yes, the refrigerator was 3-pin and didn't have the shock issue. May be metal body is the reason. We didn't have any issues with smaller wattage appliances except for this microwave

Ok, thanks.

Next question - is it bad idea to buy anything made of engineered wood?

8 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Conventional wisdom would dictate that take the microwave else where and see if you are still getting a shock.

If that happens, then the microwave is faulty.

Also take take another appliance in the same plug point and see if you are getting a shock. If that happens then it's an earthing issue.

Unsolicited beech raat advice. Get an air frier and use the stove/oven/cooking range. Generally healthier food.