BJP Youth Wing Leader Claims India Got Independence On '99-Yr Lease

Singh bling

35 minutes ago, Vilander said:

@coffee_rulescoffee mama seems you are being violated in this thread it's a freaking free for all on your ass, I am loving it.. :laugh:

Ivanige Sat night yenne timu. you might be 35-40, to talk like violated. reaming, etc. you are triggerred by something in the past I have lit you. 

Edited by coffee_rules

14 hours ago, G_B_ said:

our friend the OP is very dedicated that way like TMC backing ABP news. Out of millions of members some youth activist is quoted. I am sure if i start posting about the violence between the factions in the TMC itself it will fill up this entire section. These lady made some uninformed comments. The TMC factions fighting results in death.

But a few things need to be mentioned

(a) While Gandhi and Nehru did have an impact the real push for independence was due to WW2. India primarily got independence due to our soldiers sacrificing themselves in several theatres of war. WW2 also economically wrecked the UK and there was concern if they would be able to hold onto such a populous territory. American and Russians too as part of the Malta conference 1945 wanted Indian subcontinent free. While not directly written in history the Americans wanted to unleash their brand of capitalism and missionaries on India. (note the Philippines which has become a bastard of Spanish and American subcultures). The Russians wanted to weaken the UK and France. 

(b) There was a labour government in power in UK, whose manifesto did include greater freedom for the crown territories. The Americans as part of the Marshall plan coaxed Atlee to go one step further. Had the conservatives been in power no way Churchill (who lost of the 1945 elections) despite all the pressure would have accepted independence. Devolution maybe. 

The truth is that there were factors which were much more important than Gandhi or Nehru which resulted in independence. Indian history as written by the Congress ideologues paints both of these figures as being the only reason for independence with a passing mention to leaders like Sardar patel (who played a much more important role in unifying territories than Nehru). If you read the British side of things, you get a true understanding of the situation. It is true that India would eventually get independence. The fundamental fact is a weakened UK would simply not be able to hold on. This is the single biggest factor for Indian independence. Not just UK, even Germany and France shed many territories in the 50s and 60s.

+1...  Any reading of history should include perspective from the other side. One side cannot set the narrative

Well the saddest part in all of this is that the effort of the Indian (subcontinent included) in WW2 is cast aside both in India to glorify Gandhi and Nehru and the West. You do not expect this from India at the very least. The swadeshi movement was actually quite a good strategy from Gandhi but it was a relatively minor factor in relation to the impact WW2 had on the grip of the UK on its territories. I have great respect for the likes of Bose and Bhagat singh. But I lets get real, the biggest indirect proponent for the developing world getting independence was Hilter. Had WW2 not happened I think Indian independence would be pushed down the road by 30-40 years. I am sure many back then must have found it really ironic that the British propaganda said that this was a fight for freedom against Hilter when the British held so many territories.

I saw my cousins SSC Maharashtra History text book a decade back. You had chapters on Motilal Nehru.. Now while its fair that the Nehru family did make sacrifices. Is it really chapter worthy? By all means have a chapter on Gandhi and Nehru...

I am really glad for social media and the internet. Thoughts are not monopolised by the likes of Irfan Habib. If it was upto Irfan he would have said that Mughals rose up from the ashes and aided the West to defeat Axis powers.

whatsapp university is better anyday that reading the interpretation by the likes of Irfan....