Looks fast Feels Faster - for fast bowling fans

vvvslaxman

31 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

It was believed that Jeff Thompson who played for Australia bowled at 160kmhr.

I still dont believe it.

Neither do I.

The speeds recorded in 1975 and 1976 were probably embellished for marketing purposes. There is no video evidence available.

Video evidence is available for the 1979 speed contest and Thomson clocked a Fsstest of 147.x kph. No other pacer touched 142 kph even.

29 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Neither do I.

The speeds recorded in 1975 and 1976 were probably embellished for marketing purposes. There is no video evidence available.

Video evidence is available for the 1979 speed contest and Thomson clocked a Fsstest of 147.x kph. No other pacer touched 142 kph even.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/worlds-fastest-bowl-20020430-gdf8l5.html

Jeff Thomson's longstanding record of 160.5kmh (99.7mph), bowled during a 1975 test against the West Indies.

1 hour ago, Adamant said:

Yes, Starc is better. 

Lee was a scattergun, so is Starc but when he gets it right he is unstoppable. 

Yes. For sure. For some reason India play him extremely well. But starc rips and shreds through most other teams I clouding Kiwis who get butchered by him even in their country rofl. 

I dont understand how we struggle vs boult of all people in kiwi land. I can u deratand southee as he swings more then 1.3 degrees when he bowls but this trundler salah boult? 

Edited by Jay
Just now, express bowling said:

Add to that Bumrah's zip off the deck  ( losing less pace than usual )  and deceptive action. 

Complete and easily the best fast bowler on the planet. Just needs to get his stuff together for KO games in icc events. Seems to have a mental block. But I blame kohli chewt for that. 

17 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Add to that Bumrah's zip off the deck  ( losing less pace than usual )  and deceptive action. 

Bumrah I think is deceptively fast, because he comes of that short run up and generates so much pace, I think it will take time for batsmen to adjust to that.

One of the shortest run ups of all fast bowlers. too.

6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Speed guns don't mislead. A 145k ball is 145k. A 135 ball won't feel like 145k. Speed in the air is always important to feel quick to the batsman. Some may lose less pace, some more.

They also have to be calibrated, you don't get anything right unless you do that part properly!

3 hours ago, SRT100 said:

Bumrah I think is deceptively fast, because he comes of that short run up and generates so much pace, I think it will take time for batsmen to adjust to that.

One of the shortest run ups of all fast bowlers. too.

Not deceptively fast. He is fast. As fast as Cummins. 

5 hours ago, SRT100 said:

No.

Current day 2021, Cummins is a several kms faster than Bumrah who has been bowling in the 140-145kmhr range.

In 2021, Cummins is usually 135 k to 145 k / 147 k  in test matches ... and 137 k to 147 k in white ball cricket. 

In the odd test match or LOI, he goes up to 148 kph to 150 kph.  

In the test series vs India ... Cummins had bowled a fastest of 145 kph in the first 3 tests ...  and at Gabba he bowled a few deliveries at 147 k to 150 k.

Bumrah bowls very similar speed ranges too.

Only difference I see is that, in 2021 the % of deliveries that Bumrah bowls over 140 kph has gone down compared to 2017 to 2020 for Bumrah ( and compared to Cummins of 2021 ).

In short, in 2021, Bumrah's average speed is lower by about 2 kph compared to Bumrah of 2017 to 2020 and compared to Cummins of 2021. ... but their top speeds still remain very similar at 145 kph to 147 kph usually ... and 148 kph to 150 kph on really good days. 

Edited by express bowling
22 hours ago, express bowling said:

In 2021, Cummins is usually 135 k to 145 k / 147 k  in test matches ... and 137 k to 147 k in white ball cricket. 

In the odd test match or LOI, he goes up to 148 kph to 150 kph.  

In the test series vs India ... Cummins had bowled a fastest of 145 kph in the first 3 tests ...  and at Gabba he bowled a few deliveries at 147 k to 150 k.

Bumrah bowls very similar speed ranges too.

Only difference I see is that, in 2021 the % of deliveries that Bumrah bowls over 140 kph has gone down compared to 2017 to 2020 for Bumrah ( and compared to Cummins of 2021 ).

In short, in 2021, Bumrah's average speed is lower by about 2 kph compared to Bumrah of 2017 to 2020 and compared to Cummins of 2021. ... but their top speeds still remain very similar at 145 kph to 147 kph usually ... and 148 kph to 150 kph on really good days. 

yes, quite similar speeds and add to that the location of release point, deception, and skid. all will make boom feel faster than cummins. however, for now, I still rate the latter a bit higher in tests - what a champ!

5 minutes ago, Vijy said:

yes, quite similar speeds and add to that the location of release point, deception, and skid. all will make boom feel faster than cummins. however, for now, I still rate the latter a bit higher in tests - what a champ!

Cummins maintains an impeccable off stump channel. It is a quality that works on must surfaces in the world. He is capable of doing it for longer periods than Bumrah. Bumrah can get impatient at times.

3 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Cummins maintains an impeccable off stump channel. It is a quality that works on must surfaces in the world. He is capable of doing it for longer periods than Bumrah. Bumrah can get impatient at times.

Bumrah bowls with an angle, so, it's difficult for him to maintain it. Cummins bowls from close to the crease like McGrath but 10 kph quicker. He is a better and quicker version of McGrath. 20 more tests with similar performance and he will be considered a GOAT.

Edited by rkt.india