India wins the Thomas Cup [Unofficial World Badminton Mens Team Championship]

Texan

This is truly an incredible performance by the Indian team. Our shuttlers are now up there among the best. Kidambi won few tournaments few years ago, now Lakshya Sen is showing a lot of potential and of course, on the women's side, we have Sindhu and Nehwal. 

It is very pleasing to see India do well in a sport that has been largely dominated by Asian countries to our east.

Kudos to the team!

:bow:

spacer.png

In the BWF World Tour Race, 3 of the top 4 are Indians.

https://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/ranking/ranking.aspx?rid=70

RANK COUNTRY / TERRITORY PLAYER CHANGE +/- POINTS BREAKDOWN
INDindia.png
0 28,950

INAindonesia.png
0 24,150

INDindia.png
0 23,910

INDindia.png
0 23,570

DENdenmark.png
0 19,650

2 minutes ago, bharathh said:

Amazing achievement.. Next hope the Uber cup comes our way too... Surprising we got the Thomas cup first. 

On the women's side, we only have Sindhu and Nehwal, while on the men's side, there are many players in the top 30. Some of the men are now competing very well for major titles.

Just now, Texan said:

On the women's side, we only have Sindhu and Nehwal, while on the men's side, there are many players in the top 30. Some of the men are now competing very well for major titles.

there are 1-2 useful women players aside from sindhu-nehwal (latter is fading), but I agree that men's pool is wider and deeper

47 minutes ago, Vijy said:

truly a great achievement - I wanted to create a thread, but I am glad @Texan did it.

overall, last few years have been a very good time to be an indian sports fan: men and women's hockey on upswing, neeraj chopra, thomas cup, etc

Also chess. We have many GMs in the top 100 and many of our GMs are young. Praggnanandhaa has the potential to become a World Champion and he is only still the 9th highest rated Indian GM.