Planning a trip to Southeast Asia.

I6MTW

I am planning on a trip to Vietnam, followed by Cambodia and Laos later this year. 

I'd like some suggestions, tips, travel advice etc. I'm planning a month's trip at the max, and my budget is around 1-1.2 lakh INR at the maximum. Around 1 would be optimal. 

Would this be doable given the time and budget constraints? Or would sticking to one or two countries be a better option, if so which ones? I am open to alternative suggestions as well around the SE region.

I will be going as a solo traveller for now, unless I find a group to join. This would probably be my first solo trip. 

16 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

I'm in Vietnam right now.

Your question is very broad. What type of specific advice are you after?

My goals are to explore a place as much as possible (entirely is not possible in a lifetime I get that), interact with natives and locals, experience the culture, history, cuisine etc. Not just limiting myself to only the tourist sites. So bearing this in mind, what would you suggest? I'm also a solo traveller for now. So safety, navigation, communication etc. 

I have been to Cambodia, but it was a very short trip - 4 days, specifically for Angkor Wat.  Its been a few years since I went, but feel free to ask any questions you want.  

Be aware that both Cambodia and Laos are pretty poor countries with even electricity not available beyond some of the urban more developed pockets.   And be aware of the weather - I went in February and even then it was crazy hot in Siem Reap - I mean, I guess I've gone soft with living in the US for a while, but for me it was really intense and a bit difficult to handle.  

Not sure what your objective(s) are for the trip - for eg mine was an interest in history, architecture, archaeology hence the choice of Siem Reap only in Cambodia.  Based on your interests a lot of things would vary in terms of destinations etc. 

One would go to these parts if a) looking to seek something of particular interest (Angkor Wat for e.g.), and/or b) running out of destinations to visit (at times guided by a good deal to these destinations) 

On 7/26/2022 at 1:48 PM, I6MTW said:

Would this be doable given the time and budget constraints? Or would sticking to one or two countries be a better option, if so which ones? I am open to alternative suggestions as well around the SE region.

It should depend upon the #s of days you have at your disposal and the time spent on traveling.

On one hand, the more you travel, the more things can look similar esp. in areas where the culture is similar. On the other hand, the more time you spent at a destination, the more chances of being hit by the law of diminishing returns (unless there to just relax, on a beach for e.g, and have fun to make the destination take a back seat). 

What is it that you are seeking (experience?) to get out of the trip? 

3 hours ago, zen said:

It should depend upon the #s of days you have at your disposal and the time spent on traveling.

On one hand, the more you travel, the more things can look similar esp. in areas where the culture is similar. On the other hand, the more time you spent at a destination, the more chances of being hit by the law of diminishing returns (unless there to just relax, on a beach for e.g, and have fun to make the destination take a back seat). 

What is it that you are seeking (experience?) to get out of the trip? 

Relax, enjoy, experience the culture of the country, interact and converse with the locals, extensively explore the country's major tourist areas as well as the lesser explored ones. Stay in urban as well as rural areas. Witness nature and scenery etc

1 hour ago, I6MTW said:

Relax, enjoy, experience the culture of the country, interact and converse with the locals, extensively explore the country's major tourist areas as well as the lesser explored ones. Stay in urban as well as rural areas. Witness nature and scenery etc

Based on your budget, I would suggest sticking to the Vietnam area first (from your preferred destinations) to explore it out. See how far your $$$ can go, based on your planning, either come back satisfied from there, or, if your budget/time permits, explore other area like Angkor Wat. 

I have not been there but it appears as if there are a lot of things to do there -> Link

PS a 10-day trip can look like below from this website:

Itinerary Summary
DAY
PLACE
HIGHLIGHTS

1 - 2
Hanoi
Old Quarter Rickshaw, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Water Puppet Show

3 - 4
Halong Bay Cruise
Amazing Karst Landscape, Relax on the Deck, Optional Water Activities

5 - 6
Hoi An
Hoi An Old Town Highlights, Countryside Biking, Basket Boat Ride

7 - 8
Ho Chi Minh City
Cu Chi Tunnels, War Remnants Museum, City Tour of Ho Chi Minh

Mekong Delta
Mekong Delta Cruise, Local Village Visiting

Ho Chi Minh City
Departure

To make it relaxing, you can add a few more days to the destinations above ...  If time/budget allows, you can think about going to Angkor Wat from Ho Chi Minh City ... From Angkor Wat, you can even go to Bangkok (or Bali if you prefer). 

Edited by zen

10 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Not sure what are looking for in Laos?   Indonesia is a culturally diverse country & a wonderful traveling destination.  Bali is a famous hotspot for Indian tourists these days. 

Bali is nice, and culturally interesting, but not sure for a longer trip.   Again, it all depends on your agenda.  

I have a feeling that OP is being obtuse about his motivations for ..........reasons..