Thoughts on India Budget 2023

rangeelaraja

3 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

I think it was expectedly populist given 2024 Lok Sabha.

Was hoping for more defence capex. Pension sucks up huge amounts of the existing defence budget leaving not much buffer for incremental increase in capex.

Deductions from capital gains on REITs( Real Estate Investment Trusts) are capped at 10 cr inr. 

Would this not result in investors just forming corporations instead of REITs if there are no incrementaltax benefits to be availed from ?

@ravishingravi any ideas?

22 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Deductions from capital gains on REITs( Real Estate Investment Trusts) are capped at 10 cr inr. 

Would this not result in investors just forming corporations instead of REITs if there are no incrementaltax benefits to be availed from ?

Madam,  aap South Mumbai ki arabpati, kharabpati hain. 10 cr inr aapke liye choti moti rakam hai.

Humare liye cap gain of 10 cr inr, bahut badi cheez hain. This budget is for middle class. You are super wealthy class.

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Yes I guess. But I guess forming such shell corporations would make them sitting ducks for Income tax babus. 

Random Ramblings: I didn't read the budget, but I read some highlights 

1) The pension taking up so much of the military budget is likely a by-product of OROP, which was a bad policy the Centre adopted to appeal to their Army-Votebank. I think the Agnirveer scheme may alleviate it over time. However, China effectively has 2x the military budget as India, and, if one takes into account the amount pensions take up in India's, it may be a multiple or two higher.

2) It looks like the state share of tax revenues has gone down. I would have been against this before Covid, but the incompetence shown by state governments in handling Covid, particularly during the vaccination drive, makes me like this change. Anyway, this should help stop states from doing freebie-politics

3)Edu and Healthcare spending are up. The evidence from developed countries suggest social spending is a waste, but, since India is still a developing country, I think this can still help, depending on where the funds are allocated.

4) I would have liked to see more money put into the PLI scheme. It has shown to be a strong success so far, so I would've liked to see more money allocated to this.

5) Money was cut from MGNREGA. Great news. 

6)I would've liked to see some sort of roadmap for further selling-off of all the PSUs. Considering next year is election year, it is unlikely to be in next years budget either. 

7) I like the changes to income tax at first glance.

8) I like the tax on cigarettes.  

9) I would have liked to see the governments and current FM's view on special financial courts.  In the late Arun Jaitley's last budget he was planning on exploring this great idea. I haven't heard anything about this since he died. I would like to know if it is scrapped for good or has just been put on the backburner due to the Covid crisis. 

10) The infrastructure push is, of course, great. Infrastructure has a multiplier effect with should further boost economic activity. 

11) Dislike that we have to continue to waste money bribing farmers.

12) I would've like to see some forward guidance on GST as well. It needs to be simplified and rationalized more. 

that's enough for now...