Mumbai international to domestic transfer question

BacktoCricaddict

3 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Friends, for the first time ever, I will be flying into Mumbai direct from the US and immediately connecting to BLR. After immigration/customs at International, what is the best way to get to the domestic airport for a connection?  Thank you!

Arrey, Rip Van Winkle Uncle, no transfer to domestic airport business anymore. Just come out of customs in Bom and there is a counter just outside for transfers. Give your baggage and show your bom to blr boarding pass, and alight your domestic flight with just cabin luggage 

5 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Friends, for the first time ever, I will be flying into Mumbai direct from the US and immediately connecting to BLR. After immigration/customs at International, what is the best way to get to the domestic airport for a connection?  Thank you!

There are two scenarios:

Case 1: While booking, both your flights have the same PNR. In that case, you needn't collect your luggage or do the immigration control. You just walk through to the first transfer sign you see and board the next flight.

Case 2: While booking, both the flights have different PNR codes. You have to do immigration at Mumbai, collect your luggage and then head to the transfer area for baggage check and boarding. If the terminals are different, you'll have to board a bus. 

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

There are two scenarios:

Case 1: While booking, both your flights have the same PNR. In that case, you needn't collect your luggage or do the immigration control. You just walk through to the first transfer sign you see and board the next flight.

Case 2: While booking, both the flights have different PNR codes. You have to do immigration at Mumbai, collect your luggage and then head to the transfer area for baggage check and boarding. If the terminals are different, you'll have to board a bus. 

Even if the PNR is same luggage will have to be collected, immigration and customs done and then luggage will be checked again.

5 hours ago, Mariyam said:

There are two scenarios:

Don't you have to customs at terminal of entry? In this case Mumbai.

4 hours ago, Khota said:

Don't you have to customs at terminal of entry? In this case Mumbai.

Yes so first

immigration,

then duty free if you want to buy something , make sure you tell them you have a domestic flight. They will pack it as carry on.

then luggage pick up

then customs , which is a walkthrough

and then check in luggage again

2 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Worked out beautifully. Seamless, smooth, efficient.  Went exactly like @khadekhademaaro said above.  And no glitches.  CSMIA has it down to a science.

I would say it is the best airport ever, but I am too loyal to KGIA BLR airport :-)

Was there last month. Go to Vidyarthi Bhavan or CTR which I missed. 

9 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Worked out beautifully. Seamless, smooth, efficient.  Went exactly like @khadekhademaaro said above.  And no glitches.  CSMIA has it down to a science.

I would say it is the best airport ever, but I am too loyal to KGIA BLR airport :-)

Watch out for COVID now.

14 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Glad it work smooth :)

Considering all parameters from international flight options, to landing and  domestic transfer or to take a cab - Delhi airport is ahead by miles in my experience.

Mumbai is not great when it comes to cabs or direct international flights.

Bangalore old terminal is fine but still has immigration challenges. New terminal is yet to get settled. Luggage takes ages to come and cab pick up is not managed well.

9 hours ago, khadekhademaaro said:

Glad it work smooth :)

Considering all parameters from international flight options, to landing and  domestic transfer or to take a cab - Delhi airport is ahead by miles in my experience.

Mumbai is not great when it comes to cabs or direct international flights.

Bangalore old terminal is fine but still has immigration challenges. New terminal is yet to get settled. Luggage takes ages to come and cab pick up is not managed well.

East or West, Bengloor is best.  Facts be damned :-)!!

I am flying out via Delhi. Was going to ask here again for tips on domestic to international transfer, but since you brought it up .... you might as well give me the scoop :-)

21 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

CTR is too far. For sure will do Shankarapuram Brahmins coffee bar. Possibly Vidyarthi Bhavan. I prefer eating on the footpath than indoors anywehere!

Take a metro to Malleswaram. Veena stores, Raghavendra stores. Asha sweets in one street food hopping. They have dug up Gandhi bazaar and VV Puram way teewr. Don’t even venture there

57 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

I am flying out via Delhi. Was going to ask here again for tips on domestic to international transfer, but since you brought it up .... you might as well give me the scoop :-)

Give yourself ample time. Lines are long at IGIA.

4 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Delhi International flights are from T3. I hope your domestic flight also lands at T3 and will transfer your luggage directly to your international flight. I mostly go via Air India, domestic and international, so the luggage transfer at Delhi is smooth. I am sure other airlines also do but once Jet Airways screwed it up with United airlines.

If your domestic is at T1 or T2, you may have to pick luggage and transfer to T3 via bus. The buses aren't that comfortable or good unless they have improved in the last year. Even at T3 if your airline does not transfer luggage, you will have to take it and check it again at your international airline terminal, this is easy though as the terminal is same.

At T3, if there is less gap between your domestic and international, there is a separate line close to domestic arrivals for immigration. If gap is more then 3 or 4 hours,  you will have to come outside and then enter again at departures. Then luggage check in if not transferred via airline, then immigration, then security and then duty free and then you can head to the gate !

All the best for a safe journey.

2 hours ago, khadekhademaaro said:

Delhi International flights are from T3. I hope your domestic flight also lands at T3 and will transfer your luggage directly to your international flight. I mostly go via Air India, domestic and international, so the luggage transfer at Delhi is smooth. I am sure other airlines also do but once Jet Airways screwed it up with United airlines.

If your domestic is at T1 or T2, you may have to pick luggage and transfer to T3 via bus. The buses aren't that comfortable or good unless they have improved in the last year. Even at T3 if your airline does not transfer luggage, you will have to take it and check it again at your international airline terminal, this is easy though as the terminal is same.

At T3, if there is less gap between your domestic and international, there is a separate line close to domestic arrivals for immigration. If gap is more then 3 or 4 hours,  you will have to come outside and then enter again at departures. Then luggage check in if not transferred via airline, then immigration, then security and then duty free and then you can head to the gate !

All the best for a safe journey.

If you are flying out of India, they check bags till your destination or n Bengaluru. All you have to do is get out of your flight, do immigration and hop on to your destination flight

Edited by coffee_rules