Prithvi Shaw thinks he’s a star, should learn from Shubman Gill and must work on his technique and fitness: Karsan Ghavri

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

Gill should have always slotted in at #3 or #4, but how could TM drop Kohli/Pujara, even Rahane?  If TM persists with Gill as opener he won't achieve his full potential. 

Won't judge Shaw so harshly based on just one game. Ok to drop him for MCG test but we have played 25 odd tests since that 2020-21 BG tour, why was he permanently discarded? At the same time they kept on backing a dud like Kela who crosses double figures once in 5 innings. 

He was discarded due to his inability to play the ball swinging in, it was so obvious that he was going to be bowled through the gate and he did, twice. Has he fixed this issue yet? 

43 minutes ago, Sandz said:

He was discarded due to his inability to play the ball swinging in, it was so obvious that he was going to be bowled through the gate and he did, twice. Has he fixed this issue yet? 

No he has not. He looks exactly the same as he was during his under-19 days which is poor. His physical shape suggests the same. He is happy with the crores he is making in IPL. He should have had a breakout season in the IPL like Jaiswal did who is one batch after Shaw. He never had hype. He has come up to this level through sheer hardwork scoring runs everywhere.

4 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

No he has not. He looks exactly the same as he was during his under-19 days which is poor. His physical shape suggests the same. He is happy with the crores he is making in IPL. He should have had a breakout season in the IPL like Jaiswal did who is one batch after Shaw. He never had hype. He has come up to this level through sheer hardwork scoring runs everywhere.

Jaiswal was also a teen prodigy like Shaw and Sarfaraz.  

5 hours ago, Sandz said:

how can we know if he doesnt play. Everyone failed in that Test except Kohli first innings. Shaw did relatively better on NZ green lawns.

4 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

479 runs at 158 SR in 2021 when KL was doing tuk tuk . How's that not a good season

If we park the starry eyed optimism regarding Shaw for a bit and introspect with some rhetoric:

• Has there been a noticeable change in his technique/approach to counter seam/swing. No one is impervious to jaffas but he needs to get better at this. Go play county cricket in bowler friendly conditions perhaps.
  • What he has done so far in terms of impactful innings in T20s (IPL and international) for the chances he got?
  • Has his fitness impacted his fielding performances ?

Chuckte Raho

TC

23 hours ago, Lord said:

how can we know if he doesnt play. Everyone failed in that Test except Kohli first innings. Shaw did relatively better on NZ green lawns.

That’s for the TM to decide from domestic performances, test matches are not the place to test whether he has corrected his issues neither is IPL, need to slog it out in FC.

His NZ innings were not too convincing either, his technique was too loose to succeed in test matches abroad and I have not seen much evidence of improvement, but I don’t follow domestic cricket, only IPL so I dunno :dontknow:

23 hours ago, Sandz said:

That’s for the TM to decide from domestic performances, test matches are not the place to test whether he has corrected his issues neither is IPL, need to slog it out in FC.

His NZ innings were not too convincing either, his technique was too loose to succeed in test matches abroad and I have not seen much evidence of improvement, but I don’t follow domestic cricket, only IPL so I dunno :dontknow:

If domestics were the criteria,Sarfaraz would have been selected. So what exactly is it?

He outscored players who are still permanent in NZ.