India to buy US Predator drones

khadekhademaaro

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

Indian armed forces have always liked buying expensive phoren toys.  I'm happier to hear about the jet engine deal, but even with that, the point is that somewhere down the line, we need to get genuinely self-sufficient.

This. Buying expensive foreign equipment and then servicing them is extremely costly. Need to move away from such dependency.

7 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

This. Buying expensive foreign equipment and then servicing them is extremely costly. Need to move away from such dependency.

Aren't you the person that was against all infra investment in India? 

How do they do the above without the requisite supply chains, industries and infrastructure?

Edited by bharathh

19 minutes ago, bharathh said:

Aren't you the person that was against all infra investment in India? 

How do they do the above without the requisite supply chains, industries and infrastructure?

You're twisting my words. I said the government will become deeply overleveraged if it continues to increase spending on infra at the rate that it is currently doing. A long-term plan to reduce dependency especially for military equipment is absolutely desirable. 

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

You're twisting my words. I said the government will become deeply overleveraged if it continues to increase spending on infra at the rate that it is currently doing. A long-term plan to reduce dependency especially for military equipment is absolutely desirable. 

You think Defence building infra comes cheap? 

3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Beyond surveillance & recon purposes these drones serve no purpose to India with neighbours like Pak China. 

Another deal to keep Uncle Sam Happy like S400 for Ruskies.  Cost of a balancing act. 

Though Navy has a much better use for it as drones are cheaper to operate. 

I think those reasons were why they were bought

This is why political discussions are so interesting, yet pointless. No one on this board nor elsewhere on the interwebs knows jackshyte, is speculating and speaking out of their rear-ends, with each one convinced that they know best even though they have no evidence to back their claims. The only thing we know is that India would be better off if they made their own high-quality defense equipment. Rest is just banter. The only people who know the truth of why these things were purchased are top GoI officials.

This is why I love science. We hypothesize. We do experiments. We publish. Others repeat. Our results are supported or not supported by others. If supported, more people repeat under other conditions. We use statistical tools to build the case. When there is a strong body of evidence in one direction or another, we say that "this is most likely the truth." Until someone disproves it.

3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Beyond surveillance & recon purposes these drones serve no purpose to India with neighbours like Pak China. 

Another deal to keep Uncle Sam Happy like S400 for Ruskies.  Cost of a balancing act. 

Though Navy has a much better use for it as drones are cheaper to operate. 

Drones are still better than investing in aircraft carriers to take the planes to the nearest sea point for action. Drones can be flown sitting in India and delivered to Surinam

27 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

This is why political discussions are so interesting, yet pointless. No one on this board nor elsewhere on the interwebs knows jackshyte, is speculating and speaking out of their rear-ends, with each one convinced that they know best even though they have no evidence to back their claims. The only thing we know is that India would be better off if they made their own high-quality defense equipment. Rest is just banter. The only people who know the truth of why these things were purchased are top GoI officials.

This is why I love science. We hypothesize. We do experiments. We publish. Others repeat. Our results are supported or not supported by others. If supported, more people repeat under other conditions. We use statistical tools to build the case. When there is a strong body of evidence in one direction or another, we say that "this is most likely the truth." Until someone disproves it.

Uncle, this politics talk is like the gossip of kitty party talk for men. It serves sociologically to understand a person’s thought process and whether to trust someone’s opinion if it is based fact or is it mere speculation.  I am pretty sure you will not trust a fellow nerd ’s speculative data which is not based on scientific reasoning and give a positive feedback in a peer review to his hypothesis. 

— have a fellowship in Uncle University 

Edited by coffee_rules

Just now, coffee_rules said:

Uncle, this politics itali s long ke gossip of kitty party talk for men. It serves sociologically to understand a person’s thought process and whether to trust someone’s opinion is based fact or mere speculation.  I am pretty sure you will not trust a person’s speculative data which is not based on scientific reasoning. 

— have a fellowship in Uncle University 

One second ... last I know, you were coffee-Anna. Now I am Uncle?  Did you just dye your hair, buy a brand new Gucci outfit to go with the shiny new Porsche?

4 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

One second ... last I know, you were coffee-Anna. Now I am Uncle?  Did you just dye your hair, buy a brand new Gucci outfit to go with the shiny new Porsche?

That’s why I signed off my post of being a fellow uncle! I didn’t buy a Porsche yet, but went with Tesla like all fellow desis!!

4 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Drones are still better than investing in aircraft carriers to take the planes to the nearest sea point for action. Drones can be flown sitting in India and delivered to Surinam

Aircraft carriers are literally biggest assets when it comes to power projection.  

As I said Drones are cheaper to operate rather than say P8I aircrafts.  Navy definately would get a boost with these. 

In actual conflict with superior tech savy & Air defense yukt militaries coupled with AWACS will have them toast in a instant. 

US has been pushing this deal for so long & India has finally to keep them Happy has accepted this. 

5 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Aircraft carriers are literally biggest assets when it comes to power projection.  

As I said Drones are cheaper to operate rather than say P8I aircrafts.  Navy definately would get a boost with these. 

In actual conflict with superior tech savy & Air defense yukt militaries coupled with AWACS will have them toast in a instant. 

US has been pushing this deal for so long & India has finally to keep them Happy has accepted this. 

In b4 someone says Modi has invested well for 2024

34 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

In b4 someone says Modi has invested well for 2024

Modi got nothing to do with it.  Every PM since 2005 is more or less is doing this. 

India - US is a Transactional relationship. 

Look at this recent article...  These f***rs so badly want us to be their b**tch like Japan & SoKo

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/india/markey-modi-biden-united-states

Edited by Lone Wolf

5 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Its like buying iphone 4 today. 

not at all.  Having long-range capacity drones is a piece of the required toolkit for Maritime surveillance.  And we don't have any other options, locally made or otherwise. I think there's a French company coming out with a competitor for this, but it just debuted, so don't know about operational reliability etc.  

I'm even ok with overpaying the US for these drones, because the reality is that this is all part of the growing defense relationship.  I mean, when the CCP's armed wing tried a repeat of Galwan near Arunachal Pradesh recently, it was US intel that enabled Indian army to pre-empt the PLA.  As long as the relationship is trending in the right direction, and India starts to get genuine modernization and capacity building assistance from the US, its ok to throw a few billions their way on deals like this.  Its not like the Russkies weren't ripping us off in our supply deals with them anyway.