Neeraj Chopra wins in Lausanne to clinch back-to-back Diamond League titles

Gollum

LINK

Coming back from injury

Against an elite field

2 foul throws in 1st 4 attempts, 87.66 m in 5th throw to get top position....clutch af, when will our rockstar cricketers show mental strength like this?

Amazing consistency especially in these top level competitions

Far from my best: Neeraj Chopra after winning Lausanne Diamond League with 87.66m throw 

as opposed to our cricketers whose feet leave the ground after beating an associate side.

Edited by Gollum

Keep an eye on Sreeshankar as well, finished 5th in long jump. He has the 2nd best jump (8.41 m) this year across the world. 

Just checking last few Olympic results in men's long jump

Gold in Beijing was 8.34 m

Gold in London 8.31 m

Gold in Rio 8.38 m

Gold in Tokyo 8.41 m

He may do an Anju Bobby George this year or next, maybe even better. Decent chance of a podium finish in Paris as well. 

Both these champs can bring us medals next year, fingers crossed

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Neeraj would be a 155k pacer easily I think if he opted for cricket. 

But the legacy he is leaving behind might make him the greatest Indian sportsperson ever. 

So that means the bowlers just dont work hard enough on fitness

1 hour ago, Lord said:

So that means the bowlers just dont work hard enough on fitness

I think lot of biomechanics play a role in that...  Fitness is crucial but it alone won't cut it.   There are some insanely fit people in India but we don't do well in Track & field.  Hence Neeraj is something like once in a generation talent among Entire Subcontinent not just India. 

6 hours ago, Gollum said:

Keep an eye on Sreeshankar as well, finished 5th in long jump. He has the 2nd best jump (8.41 m) this year across the world. 

Just checking last few Olympic results in men's long jump

Gold in Beijing was 8.34 m

Gold in London 8.31 m

Gold in Rio 8.38 m

Gold in Tokyo 8.41 m

He may do an Anju Bobby George this year or next, maybe even better. Decent chance of a podium finish in Paris as well. 

Both these champs can bring us medals next year, fingers crossed

Hope sreeshankar gives his best, his jump here was 7.88m for 5th place.

2 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Hope sreeshankar gives his best, his jump here was 7.88m for 5th place.

Commentators were saying winds were a big factor that day. Everything is relative in outdoor events because of weather conditions, in indoor competition no such wind/rain/humidity factor.

Hope our boy peaks in the Olympics.

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

Smeagol @Gollum, you should think about creating a thread for pre-Olympics tracking and stuff. I, and the rest of the auld guard of ICF, are not online as much as before, but I feel that it would be a nice thread to (re)visit every now and then

6 hours ago, Vijy said:

Smeagol @Gollum, you should think about creating a thread for pre-Olympics tracking and stuff. I, and the rest of the auld guard of ICF, are not online as much as before, but I feel that it would be a nice thread to (re)visit every now and then

Lots of good results in the Asian Athletics championships this time. 6 golds so far. Lot more to look forward to. 

I'm guessing Athletics will lead India's charge at the podium in the Asian games this time given the issues with Wrestling. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Asian_Athletics_Championships

All the gold medalists have qualified for the Olympics based on being the region champs. 

1 hour ago, bharathh said:

Lots of good results in the Asian Athletics championships this time. 6 golds so far. Lot more to look forward to. 

I'm guessing Athletics will lead India's charge at the podium in the Asian games this time given the issues with Wrestling. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Asian_Athletics_Championships

All the gold medalists have qualified for the Olympics based on being the region champs. 

yes, that seems likely.

Russia, Belarus will participate in the Asian Games this year, first time ever. Russia especially will gobble up plenty of medals in athletics, wrestling, shooting where otherwise we would have been tipped to win. So manage your expectations accordingly. All countries will be affected by the entry of Russia, even China.

Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Russia, Belarus will participate in the Asian Games this year, first time ever. Russia especially will gobble up plenty of medals in athletics, wrestling, shooting where otherwise we would have been tipped to win. So manage your expectations accordingly. All countries will be affected by the entry of Russia, even China.

In shooting IMO the only real threat is China. Russian shooters aren't as good as they used to be. India is still the best from Asia apart from China IMO. 

Wrestling and Athletics - yes - Russia will eat into a lot of India's expected medals. Boxing and wrestling will def be extremely tough with Russia and Belarus in 

13 hours ago, Vijy said:

And if I may suggest, have it in chit chat section...since Russia is also participating, this year's Asian games starting 23rd September will also be very competitive

...I am bookmarking for watching...

5 hours ago, randomGuy said:

And if I may suggest, have it in chit chat section...since Russia is also participating, this year's Asian games starting 23rd September will also be very competitive

...I am bookmarking for watching...

yes, this would be the appropriate section (not "Cricket talk")

Yeah we must have dedicated threads for Asian Games, pre-Paris events etc. Buildup bhi chahiye, whether tracking qualifiers or form of our sportspersons. Problem is many of us aren't active that much these days, I was relatively free the first two weeks of this month but suddenly work may compel me to stay away from the forum for 4 months, life has become like that now:((

One of us, whoever is most active, can maybe open these threads and let us all join to keep it alive with updates, developments, discussion etc. Buildup to Tokyo was so good on this forum, lots of participation and the Olympics mega thread was so active running into 100s of pages. Probably the most fun I have had on ICF !!!!! Hopefully we can rekindle that josh soon.