Pravin Amre

I just noticed that Pravin Amre is in the list of debut century abroad, and the list is small. Yet he played only 11 tests. 

He had an FC average of 87 when he was selected for India. He had a debut century in SA against SA greats like Donald when others failed. In his 11 tests, India lost only one match. His last few scores - 78, 57, 52*, 21, 15*, 21...Why didn't he get a long rope? I can't imagine we're tolerating so many failures of our stars, it is inexplicable why was he dropped after 3 series where he had performed decently.. Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, urbestfriend said:

I just noticed that Pravin Amre is in the list of debut century abroad, and the list is small. Yet he played only 11 tests. 

He had an FC average of 87 when he was selected for India. He had a debut century in SA against SA greats like Donald when others failed. In his 11 tests, India lost only one match. His last few scores - 78, 57, 52*, 21, 15*, 21...Why didn't he get a long rope? I can't imagine we're tolerating so many failures of our stars, it is inexplicable why was he dropped after 3 series where he had performed decently.. Any thoughts?

amre was solid. gritty player. should have been given a longer run, instead of sanju manju, ajay jaddu, etc

Amre had enough grit to make it to the Indian team and play some knocks, but nowhere near enough grit to convince that he could make a significant impact.  

I saw him play his entire career  - watching him I always felt he could be relied to hang in at one end for a long time to nurdle a thirty here and a twenty there.  But never more.  And never with any game changing impact. 

Perhaps he was treated a bit harshly, but not really unfairly. 

7 hours ago, NameGoesHere said:

Amre had enough grit to make it to the Indian team and play some knocks, but nowhere near enough grit to convince that he could make a significant impact.  

I saw him play his entire career  - watching him I always felt he could be relied to hang in at one end for a long time to nurdle a thirty here and a twenty there.  But never more.  And never with any game changing impact. 

Perhaps he was treated a bit harshly, but not really unfairly. 

he was better than the endless litany of players we tried and discarded in the 90s. even holding an end up and scoring 20s and 30s would have been valuable in SA, Eng, Aus, and WI at that time. moreover, he didn't get to play many matches vs easy teams or at home on pattas, both of which would have shown his ability to make more runs

Edited by Vijy