After 36 years, India has a new chess #1, congratulations to Gukesh

Gollum

9 hours ago, Mariyam said:

That was on the cards. Arguably, Magnus is the greatest chess player of all time and at his peak. Like the cliche goes: The worlds' strongest chess player is a motivated Magnus. And second strongest chess player is a demotivated Magnus.

Guys like Gukesh are only going to get stronger from here on. I'm going to pull a Pandya here and say that Gukesh will learn form his losses.

Don't pull a Pandu... nothing good will come from it

10 hours ago, Mariyam said:

That was on the cards. Arguably, Magnus is the greatest chess player of all time and at his peak. Like the cliche goes: The worlds' strongest chess player is a motivated Magnus. And second strongest chess player is a demotivated Magnus.

Guys like Gukesh are only going to get stronger from here on. I'm going to pull a Pandya here and say that Gukesh will learn form his losses.

I should have quoted your post in place of Ravi's.. after the loss he is only 3 pts ahead of Anand in live ratings, another loss today to carslen will keep him behind Anand after the event finish, but a draw is sufficient to keep his India no. 1 tag after the event...

Way too cerebral a game for me to ever understand it's nuances. I play simply by instinct and hate reading up moves etc. But for those who do understand chess at a deeper level - is Magnus really the GOAT and where does he stand in comparison with kasparov and Fischer?

Edited by Nikhil_cric

4 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Way too cerebral a game for me to ever understand it's nuances. I play simply by instinct and hate reading up moves etc. But for those who do understand chess at a deeper level - is Magnus really the GOAT and where does he stand in comparison with kasparov and Fischer?

Longevity-Kasparov

Peak-Fischer

All bases covered-Carlsen

3 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Openings have been deeply analysed via computers and here it is memorization game...In end game, carslen is the greatest of all time specially...

I went upto 2250 peak rapid rating(10+0) and 2100 peak blitz rating (3+0) in lichess which means I would be 2000 peak in fide classical ratings (could easily go significantly Higher, it is a question of time devoted) I don't have openings knowledge, don't remember square names also ... they say till 2600 , you don't have to remember openings deeply ...I have wasted a lot of time on chess online which I wished I shouldn't have wasted....it is just an addiction with no durable happiness or satisfaction even if you win...I basically pity the professional chess players due to this reason...

17 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Openings have been deeply analysed via computers and here it is memorization game...In end game, carslen is the greatest of all time specially...

I went upto 2250 peak rapid rating(10+0) and 2100 peak blitz rating (3+0) in lichess which means I would be 2000 peak in fide classical ratings (could easily go significantly Higher, it is a question of time devoted) I don't have openings knowledge, don't remember square names also ... they say till 2600 , you don't have to remember openings deeply ...I have wasted a lot of time on chess online which I wished I shouldn't have wasted....it is just an addiction with no durable happiness or satisfaction even if you win...I basically pity the professional chess players due to this reason...

Somewhat relate to this. Addictive but no real satisfaction  even after winning . Haven't gone to chess.com in 3 years  .

1 hour ago, randomGuy said:

I would like to think while you may not have a clearly correlated benefit from those hours, but it does train your brain to think in a certain way. I am sure that training is fungible and helps in other areas including stock market :) 

2 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

I would like to think while you may not have a clearly correlated benefit from those hours, but it does train your brain to think in a certain way. I am sure that training is fungible and helps in other areas including stock market :) 

Maths, reasoning and logic puzzles serve that purpose, and feel more healthy and satisfying...online chess has 1. Stress associated due to time limits, 2. Unhealthy posture for hands, shoulders, neck, head (basically the entire body) which is really unhealthy in longer durations...

What a f@@@ up game by Gukesh in second match he had clear advantage his  bishop and rook was in good position over Magnus  I thought he was going to win but some how Magnus put pressure on his left side pawn and a Gukesh fumbled and he escaped with draw:facepalm: 

23 hours ago, randomGuy said:

and here I am stuck at 700 after playing everyday almost for an year :sad:

43 minutes ago, Lord said:

and here I am stuck at 700 after playing everyday almost for an year :sad:

You will improve very slowly if you don't study...study endgame and middlegame concepts but some openings as well... you could start with old chess streams of IM john bartholomew that's an excellent resource for beginners, I found him to be an excellent teacher...

There was a time when I exclusively did puzzles on lichess and reached 2500-2600 on puzzle rating (without cheating) ....combine this with game practice to improve the play under time controls..... ratings have been like a stock chart for me if I made a good gain I would always have to digest and come down significantly before making next leg up...

But if I were to suggest, like in previous posts, I would say it's a total waste of time...

26 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

You will improve very slowly if you don't study...study endgame and middlegame concepts but some openings as well... you could start with old chess streams of IM john bartholomew that's an excellent resource for beginners, I found him to be an excellent teacher...

There was a time when I exclusively did puzzles on lichess and reached 2500-2600 on puzzle rating (without cheating) ....combine this with game practice to improve the play under time controls..... ratings have been like a stock chart for me if I made a good gain I would always have to digest and come down significantly before making next leg up...

But if I were to suggest, like in previous posts, I would say it's a total waste of time...

I watch some youtube channels like Gothamchess and some other small channels alongwith Chess.com videos. My puzzle rating is around 1500.

I play for fun so not really bothered to study theory etc.