Gukesh wins World Chess Candidates 2024. Becomes youngest ever contender for World Chess Championship crown.

rangeelaraja

It is still such a tight race that any of the top 4 could still win it. 

Scenario 1

If the Nepo vs. Fabi game has a result and Gukesh with black holds Nakamura - it will come down to tiebreaks. 

Scenario 2

If the Nepo vs. Fabi game ends in a draw, Gukesh just needs a draw to win the tournament. 

Scenario 3

If Gukesh loses to Nakamura, he will not be in contention because Nakamura would take a 0.5 point lead ( sole or joint ) 

Scenario 4

If Gukesh beats Nakamura he is the outright winner - no matter what happens. 

If scenario 1 happens and there are rapid tiebreaks - I would not consider Gukesh a favorite against any of his likely opponents - Gukesh’s strength is classical not rapid / blitz. 

Nakamura is the toughest possible opponent for Gukesh though, all through this event he has tried all unpredictable lines. The kid has shown nerves of steel in critical moments so far but it'll be a huge test

6 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

@Mariyam  - Please bless our boy Gukesh to bring India glory like Vishy.:icflove:

Of course I want Gukesh to win.

I've been a Gukesh fan since the Olympiad. In that Olympiad, he blundered in a pressure situation against the Uzbek boy, but he has grown as a person and player since.

It would be nice to have him challenge, and dethrone Ding.

6 hours ago, Vickydev said:

Nakamura is the toughest possible opponent for Gukesh though, all through this event he has tried all unpredictable lines. The kid has shown nerves of steel in critical moments so far but it'll be a huge test

My guess is:

If Nakamura goes for the kill, Gukesh will win.

If Nakamura plays for a draw, it will be a draw.

If Gukesh goes for the kill, I'm unsure of the outcome. But I'm tilted towards a draw in this scenario too.

getting back to the thread, I thought that Pragg would achieve more than gukesh in the long run, but the latter has seriously impressed me, especially insofar as mental strength is concerned. both are super young, so predictions should be taken with a grain of salt, of course.

On the serious note...Caruana has a fantastic aura.... never arrogant, available for longer chats with interviewers, friendly and balanced person, long career, most consistent top player over the decade behind carlsen. Actually impossible to not root for this guy, whether you are American/Italian or not...

6 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

On the serious note...Caruana has a fantastic aura.... never arrogant, available for longer chats with interviewers, friendly and balanced person, long career, most consistent top player over the decade behind carlsen. Actually impossible to not root for this guy, whether you are American/Italian or not...

Top guy, humble and gentlemanly conduct. Him and Aronian both. 

14 minutes ago, Vijy said:

getting back to the thread, I thought that Pragg would achieve more than gukesh in the long run, but the latter has seriously impressed me, especially insofar as mental strength is concerned. both are super young, so predictions should be taken with a grain of salt, of course.

Both very young, expect them to face each other in world title matches in the future. Like earlier days when Soviet/Russian players used to face each other for the crown. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Top guy, humble and gentlemanly conduct. Him and Aronian both. 

our young guns also seem very mature and humble and well behaved for their age.

times have changed, but I feel (although only sometimes) it would be fun to someone talented but completely off their rocker on occasion. like Bobby F.