‘Happened to me every day’— ex-Pakistan spinner Danish Kaneria on facing religious bias in team

Trichromatic

17 hours ago, Ranvir said:

Is this the same Afghanistan that forced thousands of Sikhs and Hindus to flee in the 90s and wear orange arm bands while out in public, blew up Ancient Buddhist statues? The same Bangladesh where Hindus were around 22% of the population in 1970 and now just 8%.

Pakistani, Afghan, Bangladeshi and Indian muslims are the exact same. Indian muslims only act less aggressive because of their numbers but as we saw in Kashmir they are no different once a majority. Lakshwadeep is also 100% Muslim. Wake up. 

The only half decent muslims I've met abroad have been Iranians and some Turks. 

I don't endorse your views.

Look they are not going to magically disappear. They are here to stay and as much a part of our country as you and me.

We have to Co-exist and find a middle ground

Can't undo past actions....

10 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Brings us to a broader philosophical question:

Should there be a statute of limitations on 'milking' personal, professional or national tragedies?

Is it morally repugnant to gain some traction by sensationalising a tragedy/misfortune one has faced? Even if it is done in perpetuity?

Would like to know what you (all) think?

@BacktoCricaddict

Like a legal statute of limitations? That should of course never happen.

If a personal grievance was addressed and both the aggrieved party and the perpetrator reached some sort of mutually-satisfactory agreement, that particular matter should end there. But, if the grievance was never addressed, justice never served or if the goal-posts keep moving, then we can't justify a statute of limitations at all.

What about national or communal tragedies? Again, it is complicated. It depends on the nature of the tragedy and multigenerational ripple effects. For instance, the tragedy perpetrated on Black America for 400 yrs (yes, even after so-called emancipation) has not yet been addressed fully. Will it ever be? Who knows? Should they keep fighting for it? For sure.

Grieving on social media? There are no rules (and there shouldn't be any) there. People can grieve all they want for however long they want. Unfortunately, fatigue sets in and people will tune you out after a while, and for your own sanity, it may be best to move on.

In the case of Kaneria, what does he really want? Legal recourse? If so, he will have to go through whatever channels there are in Pakistan. Sympathy on social media? Media attention that he can monetize? Forever? Sure, why not? It's a free world. And I can only hope that we will use the same standard if the religious affiliations of victim and perpetrator of bigotry were reversed.

52 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Maybe, but I seriously doubt he acted and converted on his own, withoiut any influence. Saaed Anwar was the first to become pious after a personal tragedy. I hear that the maulvi who motivated him got others indoctrined as as well - Inzi, Mushtaq, Saqlain, Youhana all became radicalized (I mean growing a beard and looking like a Mullah) in that era. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Conversions never happen in a vacuum. People around you preach and influence you. And if that makes you convert, well, it is still a personal choice. As long as you or your loved ones are not threatened in any way, it is an exercise of free will. If the Christians wanted to win YY/MY back, they could've tried to do so, no? Maybe they did, but his new faith was so strong, he did not want to change back. It is hard to judge individual cases without knowing details.

Bottom line is that govts must simply stay out of individuals' religious choices. I will go so far as to say that govts should not be in the business of administering temples, Waqf councils etc. 

35 minutes ago, nikrulz said:

Look they are not going to magically disappear. They are here to stay and as much a part of our country as you and me.

Well the Afghans, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Kashmir Muslims don't share your sentiments when it comes to coexistence. 

7 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Yousuf Youhana got influenced by teammates and became Mohammed Yousuf. , why are you doubting that they wouldn’t try the same with he only other Non-Muslim in the team? Danish had voiced it much before his match fixing saga. 

No he didn't. He was banned for fixing but he raised this issue in 2019 after Akhtar said it in an interview. Even there he backtracked on it 

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/inzamam-ul-haq-always-backed-me-danish-kaneria-discrimination-pakistan-teammates-for-being-hindu-1631872-2019-12-27

Did Youhana claim facing discrimination before he converted?

Anyway I dont care how one Pakistani treats another, especially a fixer.People here just want to feed their bias. Its an unhealthy obsession constantly talking about what Pak does.

5 hours ago, nikrulz said:

"Co-exist" and "middle ground" great. I like it too.

How do we do that?